Crosby passes Lemieux in games played, will he pass total career points?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'd say that it's about 50/50 that he passes Lemieux in points. He'd have to stay relatively injury free the rest of the way, and play into at least his late 30's though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
High end players usually don't hang them up early. They play until the Wheels fall off or they get a serious injury that forces them to retire.

And just look at some of the guys on that list:
Justin Williams 300 Points after 31. Never known as a elite forward and is still playing...
Chris Kunitz 371 Points after 31. Almost every Crosby fan ever used to complain about how terrible he was...
Robert Lang 434 Points after 31. Mulletman even made a thread once about Crosby being pretty much exactly twice as good as Robert Lang...
Shane Doan 500 Points after 31. Always solid, never really elite...

Those are all players Crosby is clearly better than. I would be surprised if Crosby doesn't add another 600 Points to his totals from here on out until he retires...

Sure but Crosby has had injuries and none of those players were really close to 600 points either so why bring them up?

91 plus points over 6 straight seasons is doable but what about him resigning in a cap era and the team as he ages?

lots of moving parts here.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I'd argue Crosby as the more important Pen.. obviously Lemieux was better, obviously his illness was not his fault, but if you're talking how much a player mattered to his franchise.. the case can be made.
Lol. Without Lemieux the penguins would have been in Quebec City by the time Crosby came around.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Sure but Crosby has had injuries and none of those players were really close to 600 points either so why bring them up?

91 plus points over 6 straight seasons is doable but what about him resigning in a cap era and the team as he ages?

lots of moving parts here.
Crosby most likely won't score it in 6 seasons, but he'll likely play anywere between 8-12 seasons after this one. And 8 seasons will be enough even if it includes a half season lockout.

But just look at some of the better players on the list like Jagr and Selanne. 686 and 656 Points after turning 31. That includes 1 full lockout season and another half lockout season for both of them. Jagr also played 3 seasons in the KHL and Selanne sat out most of the 2007-08 season too after winning the cup. Plus Selanne had all of his knee problems after turning 31 too.

So even if you add more injuries and lockouts Crosby should be able to do it, especially if he ends up playing 10 more years.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
He'll most likely pass him.

Crosby currently on 1178 points. Currently has 62 points in 52 games and will finish at this pace with 95 points.

That would put him on 1211 points by the end of the season. Lemieux had 1723. 512 points difference. He is signed up for 6 more seasons.

512/6 is 85 points a year. That would put Crosby at 37. He's more than capable of doing it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it completely depends on how long Crosby plays. I've seen speculation that Crosby plans on retiring after this current contract is done, but the dude breathes hockey, so I wouldn't be positive about that. If Crosby is still good after this current deal, I imagine he re-signs for another 1-3 years. He won't play until Jagr obviously, but I'd still expect to see him in the NHL at 39 or 40 if he's not battling injuries.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I'd argue Crosby as the more important Pen.. obviously Lemieux was better, obviously his illness was not his fault, but if you're talking how much a player mattered to his franchise.. the case can be made.
You could argue that but you'd lose that argument and I'm not taking anything away from Crosby. Lemieux is the best and most important Penguins player and I doubt that ever changes.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Imagine if Crosby didn't miss 1.5+ seasons due to concussions...

Would be no doubt he'd pass Mario.
Imagine if CROSBY didn't miss time? LOL Imagine if a bad back and Hodgkin's disease didn't strike smack in the middle of Mario's prime...

Lemieux is nowhere near Gretzky or Howe IMO.
LOL you're done here. None of the three would agree, nor *should* anyone else.

Then again, I see enough "Wayne Gretzky isn't the greatest goal scorer ever" to not be surprised anymore......nah, I'm still pretty surprised.

600 more points in the same amount of games played? yeah this is close...

Reactions: Kimota and Vegeta

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Imagine if CROSBY didn't miss time? LOL Imagine if a bad back and Hodgkin's disease didn't strike smack in the middle of Mario's prime...

LOL you're done here. None of the three would agree, nor *should* anyone else.

Then again, I see enough "Wayne Gretzky isn't the greatest goal scorer ever" to not be surprised anymore......nah, I'm still pretty surprised.

Bossy was better at pure goal scoring than Gretzky.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Bossy was better at pure goal scoring than Gretzky.
So Bossy broke the 50 in 50 with 39 in 50 in the same era, while also playing for a dynasty?
Bossy broke the single season goal scoring record and holds the top 2 goal scoring seasons ever?
Bossy had more total career goals than anyone ever?

Bure could skate circles around Bossy. Neither of them did what Wayne Gretzky did.

Further if Gretzky stopped playing at the same age Bossy and Lemieux did, what would his Goals per Game average look like?

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Lemieux is nowhere near Gretzky or Howe IMO.

This is utter non sense and deserves a lot of dislikes (too bad there are no dislike buttons here). Lemieux, in terms of pure talent, might be the best of the 4. I can tell you've never watched him play in his prime (or even after as he was still quite dominant then). Lemieux would be only the 2nd player in NHL history to break the 200 point mark in a season if he didn't miss a few games that 1 season. He would also be near Gretzky's all-time points record if he didn't miss like over 10 seasons in games.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017

Not even. Mario saved that sad sack franchise like twice.

Reactions: Tweed and Casanova

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Sid will never be a better player than Mario, he'll never even be close. Whether or not he's a "greater Penguin" I guess is purely a matter of opinion.

Kind of a Gordie Howe vs. Steve Yzerman thing. Was Steve Yzerman a better hockey player than Gordie Howe? Hell the f*** no. Was he a "greater Red Wing"? They didn't plaster him across an entire building facade downtown as "Detroit's adopted son" for nothing.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017

Mario played for and was worth so much that he was the team's largest individual creditor in their bankruptcy. He turned that debt into equity to own part of the team. He literally played without getting paid and then bought the team to keep them in Pittsburgh. No player will ever matter more to a franchise than Lemieux has for the penguins.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Well thats complete BS, but if that were even true it doesnt change that Lemieux was better than everyone else (exception being 99) by lightyears.

Are you saying that goalies, defencemen, defensive forwards and team defence, were better in the 80s - early 90s, than it is today?

For real?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
The Crosby vs Lemieux debate is dumb: it's clearly Lemieux, the guy saved the franchise and was much better... and that's no knock on Crosby.

To answer the original question, I'd say it's unlikely, but possible. It depends on his health and how fast he declines. I doubt he plays in his 40s given all the injuries he had through his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad