Crosby passes Lemieux in games played, will he pass total career points?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Crosby is playing in a 916th regular season game tonight passing Mario. He is still 546 pts short of Mario's career total. With still 6 full years remaining on current contract is he going to pass Lemieux in career points? Despite only making 3m/year in the last 3 years of the deal think he will play it out in full and perhaps a year or two after.

If healthy, would need slightly over PPG for the remaining of his current deal.

Reactions: TychoFan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Didn’t know ML had such few games played. Know he missed time with cancer and retirement

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby is playing in a 916th regular season game tonight passing Mario. He is still 546 pts short of Mario's career total. With still 6 full years remaining on current contract is he going to pass Lemieux in career points? Despite only making 3m/year in the last 3 years of the deal think he will play it out in full and perhaps a year or two after.

If healthy, would need slightly over PPG for the remaining of his current deal.

Thats a big ask given current scoring conditions.

546 points from a player over the age of 31 has been done by 24 players in NHL history.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Crosby is surely capable but he will have to play until 38 at least IMO.

I also think that if Crosby slipped to only a 60 point caliber guy, even with good defensive play, that he might just hang them up.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013

546 points from a player over the age of 31 has been done by 24 players in NHL history.

I also think that if Crosby slipped to only a 60 point caliber guy, even with good defensive play, that he might just hang them up.
High end players usually don't hang them up early. They play until the Wheels fall off or they get a serious injury that forces them to retire.

And just look at some of the guys on that list:
Justin Williams 300 Points after 31. Never known as a elite forward and is still playing...
Chris Kunitz 371 Points after 31. Almost every Crosby fan ever used to complain about how terrible he was...
Robert Lang 434 Points after 31. Mulletman even made a thread once about Crosby being pretty much exactly twice as good as Robert Lang...
Shane Doan 500 Points after 31. Always solid, never really elite...

Those are all players Crosby is clearly better than. I would be surprised if Crosby doesn't add another 600 Points to his totals from here on out until he retires...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Ray Whitney is the only one not in the Hall of Fame (Jagr and Alfie are getting in) from that group. Pretty good company.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Goalies, defencemen and team defence were horrible in the era where Lemieux got most of his points.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Who cares if he passes Lemieux in points? Lemieux hasn't even played 1000 games. He missed Prime Years to illness and injury and played a few seasons as a physically broken shell of his former self.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Goalies, defencemen and team defence were horrible in the era where Lemieux got most of his points.
Foolish stance. Look at Jagr's production during the dead puck era, when scoring was lower than in Crosby's era. Jagr was dominant. Now, think about the fact that Prime Lemieux was lightyears ahead of Jagr. It wouldn't have mattered. Lemieux would dominate any era.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'd argue Crosby as the more important Pen.. obviously Lemieux was better, obviously his illness was not his fault, but if you're talking how much a player mattered to his franchise.. the case can be made.

Reactions: wetcoast

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I'd argue Crosby as the more important Pen.. obviously Lemieux was better, obviously his illness was not his fault, but if you're talking how much a player mattered to his franchise.. the case can be made.

I disagree.

No Mario probably means no Pens. He saved that franchise and by doing so allowed Sid to do likewise.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I disagree.

No Mario probably means no Pens. He saved that franchise and by doing so allowed Sid to do likewise.

Fair enough, I'm of the opinion the NHL woulda saved the Pens no matter what, but you're right, Lemieux ownership was instrumental in allowing Crosby to happen in the first place. I guess I'm thinking more "face of the franchise", cups, etc.

Reactions: BallardEra

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Oh god no...Mario is one of the top 4 most important hockey players ever in this game's history. Easy. Solid. Not debatable. Gretzky, Howe, Orr, and Lemieux...5th maybe Richard?

As for the Penguins, I feel silly having to type out all Lemieux did, that nobody, including Crosby or the other 3 of the top 4 I mentioned, could do for their teams what Mario did, including actually buying into and literally saving the franchise.

While playing, Lemieux is still really the only player in the same conversation as 99 for truly greatest player ever...and for the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->