Crosby next year - Europe a possibility???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jacobv2 said:
Actually, the NCAA considers juniors a pro league, since they do get a weekly allowance. Players can't go from juniors to college.

Didn't know they got an allowance.

The NCAA is very, very strict about being an amateur association. There's a wide receiver for the University of Colorado(Bloom is his last name) who was an olympic skiier who had to give up all endorsements he had related to being a skiier to play football for the Buffaloes because the endorsements made him a professional...even if it had nothing to do with football.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The only real reason not to is ice time. But otherwise, assuming the inevitable happens, why play junior when you could say, go over to Modo and play with Naslund, Forsberg, Bertuzzi, the Sedins, etc.? For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Crosby is playing in the WHA next year.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
speeds said:
If you were his agent, would you recommend that he play in Europe next season?

Same goes, I suppose, for other CHLers who might not be able to play in the AHL (if it evens operates).

Are you serious, come on slow down and take a breath. He will be in Rimouski again next year to get more development. As much as you might like him, he is not a complete player yet.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
CrosbyIsGod said:
Crosby is in Rimouski to stay... the money is not a problem... if he wanted some cash he would have play in an American University who promess him ton of cash... but Crosby shoose to play in Quebec and wouldnt want to play in another country! Crosby in Europe... real joke!

He'd be much better of in the Juniors then the NCAA though.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Are you serious, come on slow down and take a breath. He will be in Rimouski again next year to get more development. As much as you might like him, he is not a complete player yet.

How would it be any different than any number of Euro's playing pro hockey in their draft year?

I just think he might need a bigger challenge, I'm well aware he isn't the most complete player yet.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Crosby has already been asked if he will play for Rimouski next year. He simply laughted and said: '' I will play in Rimouski next year, no othe roption has ever been considered '".

There are what, 100 Europeans who left Euroe to play in CHL to improve as hockey players and to increase their chances to play in NHL. Why a CHL player would do the opposite?

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
paul99 said:
Crosby has already been asked if he will play for Rimouski next year. He simply laughted and said: '' I will play in Rimouski next year, no othe roption has ever been considered '".

There are what, 100 Europeans who left Euroe to play in CHL to improve as hockey players and to increase their chances to play in NHL. Why a CHL player would do the opposite?

They come here to adapt to the N American style of play, which Crosby is already familiar with, it is what he played his whole life. Further, many leave because their options back home are 1) playing in European Junior leagues which are not up to par to the Canadian junior leagues so yes they do learn more here, or 2) they play in a pro league and do not get adequate playing time so again development here is a better option. This does not hold ture for all Euros though, many stay in Europe because they will be getting prime ice time and will develop better in a Euro Pro league than they will in a league full of Kids who are not up to the same par as the men they would play against back home. For this reason your argument does not seem reasoned through all the way. Some Euros coming here is not a strong case against a guy who would likley have top 6 ice time over there, much like Ovechkin does, coming here.

Also for those who are knocking the physical play of the Euro leagues, you are living with an old stereo-type. Yes they are not as physcial as the nhl, but they are much more physical than they used to be, and you would be surprised if you actually saw a Euro league game IMO.

I think that sending North American kids to Europe who would have more to gain by playing in a European Pro league and are not ready or eligable for the NHL and AHL is an option that should be considered more often. Last season there was talk that the Oilers would have sent Hemsky back to the Czech Republic if they did not think he could handle the nhl as he had nothing more to gain by playing in the Q. Sure Crosby still has some to learn in the Q, but I think what speeds is saying is that he may learn more playing against men (many former NHLers and others on the cusp of a job there, perhaps actual NHLers if there is a lock out) in a European league.

Oh and one poster stated that *next* year he will have to learn to play with constantly having a checker on him.........um doesnt he already have that this year, do you not think other teams have figured out that he is an offensive dynamo by now, do you think only us at HF know about him? He is already facing that, it may not be as harsh in this respect in a European pro league as he is not likely to be the focus of the oppositions game plan, but he will still have to learn to play against good defensive players who will get in his face (if he plays in Sweden or Finland especially). It seems he is already handling the QMJHLers who are trying to do this to him currently, quite easily I might it seems.

edit:typos

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Playing in Europe would mean fewer games, more practises and tougher competition for Crosby. Imagine what a good coach like Vladimir Jurzinov could do with this guy at Kloten.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Jussi said:
Playing in Europe would mean fewer games, more practises and tougher competition for Crosby. Imagine what a good coach like Vladimir Jurzinov could do with this guy at Kloten.

Is fewer games the answer? Tougher competition, yes. But the aspects he needs work on are all things he will only face in North America. Personally, I would like to see him back in Rimouski and taking some time off to play for Canada's National Team and the like.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Couple points:
- First, I think playing in CHL would be the right thing to do.
- Then again, learning to play in Europe would propably be better for his game. Exposure to different hockey cultures is generally speaking good, particulary to creative types, and that goes both ways.
- In Finland or Sweden, not speaking the local language is not a problem, English will do quite nicely.
- No offence, but Russians aside no-one seems that anxious to play in Russia. Level of play in DEL or Swiss league isn't that great, so that leaves basicly Czech, Swedish or Finnish league. Don't know much about the Czech league, but in comparison Eliteserien is bit higher level of play while SM-Liiga is tougher and faster.
- All that said, he might actually have trouble finding a team. The teams in Europe already have full rosters and there should be quite strong supply of NHL players.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vincent_TheGreat said:
It's hard to become a complete player playing in a league that he is dominating at age 16.

As a coach, you can't really discipline a kid for a missed defensive assignment or cherry picking when he's absolutely vital to the team's success.

RutlandRalph

Crosby is going downhill this year...how many points he at now?
havent heard much bout it

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Playing in Europe would certainly be interesting for him. Not that he needs to, but it'd be a new challenge, and besides, the best thing for Crosby would be to have his stock in the draft drop. Heck, I'm sure he'd love to go #25 OV, so he could end up in say...New Jersey, or Colorado, or Detroit...

He'll stay in Canada though.

PEli*

RutlandRalph said:

Downhill? Ninety points in forty games.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
RutlandRalph said:

right now he has since comming back from the World Juniors in 7 games 8 goals and 6 assists for 14 points, and on the season in 40 games he has 41 goals 49 assists for 90 points

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
The large ice surface would really mess up his game.

I agree with you. We've all seen how playing in Eourpe has made players like Kovalchuk soft and screwed thier game up when trying to come to the NHL, While coming over early worked out great for players like Radek Bonk and PatrikStefan. ;)

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Tiki said:
I agree with you. We've all seen how playing in Eourpe has made players like Kovalchuk soft and screwed thier game up when trying to come to the NHL, While coming over early worked out great for players like Radek Bonk and PatrikStefan. ;)

Actually I wouldn't put down Bonks game he is a great player right now, took some time to develop but is good now. Stefan IMO has all the talent in the world to play with, I think patients will pay off in the end with him.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Tiki said:

Even if we look at players who have a hard time adjusting, when you have already played in small rinks and return to them it's such a small issue that it hardly even qualifies for 'trivial'. If, say, Kari Lehtonen chose to return to Finland for the duration of the lockout (who is a goalie and has played only one season in NA), I'd expect that difficulty of re-adjustment to show for maybe two weeks during the training camp.

Still, Crosby is going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->