Crosby next year - Europe a possibility???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volchenkov

Feb 1, 2003
elibenporat.blogspot.com
speeds said:
If you were his agent, would you recommend that he play in Europe next season?

Same goes, I suppose, for other CHLers who might not be able to play in the AHL (if it evens operates).

Lemieux didn't and I doubt Crosby will. He's a Canadian and loves playing in Canada. There is no reason why he should reduce his ice time by playing in russia.

leafaholix*

I love European hockey, but it would soften him up.

And he's not a big kid to begin with, so it would definately be a problem.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Volchenkov said:
Lemieux didn't and I doubt Crosby will. He's a Canadian and loves playing in Canada. There is no reason why he should reduce his ice time by playing in russia.
Uhh, what about money? Or development?

Those sound like two good reasons to go elsewhere.

I love European hockey, but it would soften him up.
He's playing with teenagers now. He'd be competing against grown men if he went to Europe. Now, in some leagues there is about as much hitting as an NHL All Star game, but the size and strength of the players is still evident.

And I also doubt he would be playing on the 4th line. If he is the 'real deal', he'd be a top offensive player in any league, just like Ovechkin is right now.

Perry Turnbull

Mar 25, 2003
ethylic reality
Visit site
If he's burning the Q at 16, what is he going to try and improve on next year in the same league ? His D ?

I think playing in Europe with men would be a very good idea for him. There must be leagues of great caliber where the play is also very physical. Finland, Russia ?

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Why not shoot for the record books, it will be his only chance to be recognized with names like Lafontaine, Bossy, Lafleur and Lemieux.
Plus, he will get much more media attention here in Canada...

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Perry Turnbull said:
If he's burning the Q at 16, what is he going to try and improve on next year in the same league ? His D ?

I think playing in Europe with men would be a very good idea for him. There must be leagues of great caliber where the play is also very physical. Finland, Russia ?

I think it would be a bad idea.

he's risk an injury, play less game and maybe play on a 3rd or 4th lines.

Next year he'll learn to play with a defensive players constently on his back, it's not easy even with teenagers.
Also he'll learn to win with a great team.

No need to rush him at 16.

Perry Turnbull

Mar 25, 2003
ethylic reality
Visit site
Beatnik said:
I think it would be a bad idea.

he's risk an injury, play less game and maybe play on a 3rd or 4th lines.

Next year he'll learn to play with a defensive players constently on his back, it's not easy even with teenagers.
Also he'll learn to win with a great team.

No need to rush him at 16.

That is an excellent point. Learning to play with constant coverage from the most despising and dirty players from the other teams is crucial. That'll work his ability to get free and his discipline not to retalliate or loose patience.
And Memorial Cup experience would be good for him as well.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If Crosby goes to Russia, nothing can happen to him aside from his draft stock falling. If he stays in Canada, it will likely remain the same. Europe brings a culture change, a possible climate change, and a total game change. The rules in the Q are much more similar to the NHL's than in most Euro leagues. Crosby would be making a terrible career move if he were to go to Europe.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Crosby is in Rimouski to stay... the money is not a problem... if he wanted some cash he would have play in an American University who promess him ton of cash... but Crosby shoose to play in Quebec and wouldnt want to play in another country! Crosby in Europe... real joke!

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Every junior hockey player in Canada dream about the Memorial Cup and next year it's going to be his last chance to win it and, of course, he will have the team to win it.

Just look at Brad Richard's career : it helps him a lot to be the man that leads his tim to the memorial cup. By the way, it's Richards who said to Crosby to come play in Rimouski :D

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
CrosbyIsGod said:
Crosby is in Rimouski to stay... the money is not a problem... if he wanted some cash he would have play in an American University who promess him ton of cash... but Crosby shoose to play in Quebec and wouldnt want to play in another country! Crosby in Europe... real joke!

I agree with you that Crosby isn't going anywhere, but, to be fair, if he were to attend a university, he'd have to forgo any chance at playing NCAA hockey if he were to accept any money.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
CrosbyIsGod said:

why?

Money's better in Europe, so is the quality of play. What's left to learn for him in the Q that he couldn't learn by playing in Europe?

Maybe leadership?

If I were him I would seriously consider Europe next season, the only reason he might not want to is that it's kind of young to have to learn a new language, culture, etc.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
speeds said:
why?

Money's better in Europe, so is the quality of play. What's left to learn for him in the Q that he couldn't learn by playing in Europe?

Maybe leadership?

If I were him I would seriously consider Europe next season, the only reason he might not want to is that it's kind of young to have to learn a new language, culture, etc.

And just what reason does he have to learn more about the game? I'm not saying he's perfect yet, but why wouldn't he just ride the hype until he is drafted?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
speeds said:
why?

Maybe leadership?

This would be a bad move IMO for Sidney, (A) Eurpean hockey is not that physical though they do hit it is not like over here, so he would not be learning to take the hits as well as he would here, (B) why would he want to go, here he is close to his family and is having a fun time at the game, he would also run the risk of not getting as much ice time over there either.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
moosefan said:
This would be a bad move IMO for Sidney, (A) Eurpean hockey is not that physical though they do hit it is not like over here, so he would not be learning to take the hits as well as he would here, (B) why would he want to go, here he is close to his family and is having a fun time at the game, he would also run the risk of not getting as much ice time over there either.

fair enough points, I just threw it out there cause it's something that I'd think he should at least consider, even if he decided not to do it.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Why he would go to Europe, adapt to international rules and then, 1 year later, come back to america and play NA hockey style :dunno:

It's not like there's a 5 year lockout, there will be no NHL 1 year at top and it doesn't change anything for him because he will be only 17

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
CrosbyIsGod said:

ummm...for one he wouldn't even be eligible to play in college until after he's drafted(has to graduate high school first)...and he'd have to forego his eligibility at college to make any money.

College players are amateurs just like players in the QMJHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Actually, the NCAA considers juniors a pro league, since they do get a weekly allowance. Players can't go from juniors to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad