Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Since late October Crosby has been playing the wing for Rimouski with pretty
dismal results.His first day at WJC camp he's put on the wing with Bergeron as
center and Perry as the other winger. So did Sutter have a conversation with
Crosby a couple of months ago that went something like this:"Well Sid I have a
returning first line center and an NHL center and you(not to mention a returning
2nd line center).Sid,you're getting alot of attention at center(and hacked alot),
maybe you could learn to play the wing and solve all our problems.

Last edited:

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
pei fan said:
returning first line center and an NHL center and you(not to mention a returning
2nd line center).Sid,your getting alot of attention at center(and hacked alot),

what?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
It makes sense that a conversation like that came first. Why would the nics put
him on the wing in the first place(unless he requested it) and why the heck would
they keep him there especially when it was so obvious it wasn't working out.Just
look at the results:production as a winger about half the production as a center
(although he seems to be scoring better lately);production aside he just looked
uncomfortable on the wing;the move made for a weaker 2nd line;and the team
was losing.

If Sutter didn't have a predetermined plan it would be pretty obvious to him
(and anyone else ) that Crosby is a natural center and he'd put him there.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Also, I will add that if Crosby was at center he would be the focal point of the team,something Sutter probably doesn't want.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
pei fan said:
Also, I will add that if Crosby was at center he would be the focal point of the team,something Sutter probably doesn't want.

:lol:

Yeah, because the rest of the team couldn't get it done. If anything, he WOULD want Crosby to be the focal point. One of Canada's main strengths is offensive depth; there's not a team in the tourney that can match them talent for talent. If he used Sid as the focal point, this would cause quite a few mismatches for the other teams.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
yes i'm sure crosby shifted to wing and disregarded his own development as a player solely for the benefit of team canada and has spent the last 3 months preparing for 1 week in dec :shakehead

because of course crosby isn't talented enough to shift from center to wing on a team like this without months of preparation

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
pei fan said:
It makes sense that a conversation like that came first. Why would the nics put
him on the wing in the first place(unless he requested it) and why the heck would
they keep him there especially when it was so obvious it wasn't working out.Just
look at the results:production as a winger about half the production as a center
(although he seems to be scoring better lately);production aside he just looked
uncomfortable on the wing;the move made for a weaker 2nd line;and the team
was losing.

If Sutter didn't have a predetermined plan it would be pretty obvious to him
(and anyone else ) that Crosby is a natural center and he'd put him there.

Are you saying that Crosby plays the wing in the Q sa that he can prepare for playing the wing at the WJC? If so, I don't think so. I think Rimouski's coach probably doesn't give a crap about the WJC and makes changes to his team to win games, not to please some WHL coach.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
NYR469 said:
yes i'm sure crosby shifted to wing and disregarded his own development as a player solely for the benefit of team canada and has spent the last 3 months preparing for 1 week in dec :shakehead

because of course crosby isn't talented enough to shift from center to wing on a team like this without months of preparation
Well first of all it was 6 weeks not 3 months and secondly who is to say that he
looked at it as disregarding his own development.Perhaps he thought of it as
making him more well rounded.Also if you look at my previous posts there is the
aspect that it would take some pressure off him being hacked so much.Rimouski
was pretty concerned with that too, so maybe it wasn't so hard to buy into it.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Louiss said:
lat october is false... Crosby only play on the wing during late november dans december for about 6 games...
I am sorry but you are wrong .I saw him play Oct. 31 in Moncton and Nov.1st PEI
and some games on TV after that.On Oct. 31 and Nov.1 he played center with
different wingers in the 1st periods and in the 2nd and 3rd periods he played on
the wing with Pouliot as the center and Roussin as the other winger.You can go to
the Q website and see under results that for those games and ALL the games since he has 3- 10 faceoffs per game with Pouliot usually over 30.You can also see that they have been playing on the same line.It's right there in black and white.At first he was just playing wing for the 2nd and 3rd periods but later it was for the entire game.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
ax²+bx+c said:
I hate that. Put him back at center, period.
That's my point,anyone that has seen him play both positions THIS YEAR would
know that he is much more effective as a Center.Heck,you wouldn't even need
to see him play wing to know that his skills are better suited at center.
Whenever anyone talks about Crosby they talk about his anticipation/vision
and his puck carrying ability.Well, he doesn't carry the puck as much as a winger
and nor does he quarterback the play as much as he would at center.

So to elaborate on my point,he is obviously better at center than on wing in
Rimouski(plus at center they would have a better second line making it harder
for opposing teams to keep in check) so there has to be another reason and
all I'm saying in my original post is maybe this is the reason.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Okay, if my theory isn't the reason someone tell me why the quinessential center
is playing wing even when the results have been so poor(compared to center).
By the way his +/- has also suffered since he's been on wing.It has improved lately and he is adjusting to the wing better lately(it seems).

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
I listened on radio and/or TV to every Rimouski's game and I can assure you that the first FULL game that Crosby played on the wing was November 28th against PEI.
Since then he has played all games on the wing except half of the last one.

on November 28th that was the first game in 2 years that Crosby-Roussin-Pouliot played together...

They played togetehr on the Powerplay and they have played some 3rd period together or shifts near ends or period when the teams needs goal.

But 100% sure that November 28th was the first full game for Crosby on the wing...

Pouliot has more faceoffs because he often go on the ice just to take the faceoffs and then go back to the bench.

Also when the faceoffs are in the offensive zone Roussin often takes de FaceOffs with Crosby in front of the net trying for a quick play...

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
And to proove even more my points I have some stats about 10 games played in November...
Nov 5 Crosby 18 faceoffs Pouliot 30 faceoffs
Nov 6 Crosby 15 faceoffs Pouliot 20 faceoffs
Nov 9 Crosby 23 faceoffs Pouliot 26 faceoffs
Nov 12 Crosby 21 faceoffs Pouliot 19 faceoffs
Nov 13 Crosby 28 faceoffs Pouliot 19 faceoffs
Nov 14 Crosby 19 faceoffs Pouliot 27 faceoffs
Nov 17 Crosby 21 faceoffs Pouliot 19 faceoffs
Nov 19 Crosby 35 faceoffs Pouliot 21 faceoffs
Nov 20 Crosby 24 faceoffs Pouliot 25 faceoffs
Nov 26 Crosby 13 faceoffs Pouliot 25 faceoffs

Now explain to me how you can say that Crosby played on the wing on those games!!?? :)

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
pei fan said:
2nd line center).Sid,you're getting alot of attention at center(and hacked alot),

Dismal results?
He only has 15 points in his last 8 games.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
pei fan said:
dismal results
.His first day at WJC camp he's put on the wing with Bergeron as

Dismal results? Last time I checked, he was leading the Q in scoring by atleast 10 points and continually being recognized the game's top stars.

I don't really think Rimouski gives a $hat about Sutter's aspirations for team Canada compared to what they need to do to be successful.

There's a lot of reasons Crosby could be playing the wing for the Oceanic. I don't think Sutter is one of them.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pei fan said:
Okay, if my theory isn't the reason someone tell me why the quinessential center
is playing wing even when the results have been so poor(compared to center).
By the way his +/- has also suffered since he's been on wing.It has improved lately and he is adjusting to the wing better lately(it seems).

Because Rimouski sucks and they loaded up 1 line to try and dominate games.

There isnt a conspiracy theory. Pouliot is better at faceoffs, therefore Crosby plays wing instead of Pouliot.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
PEI fans..? I'm still waiting for your strong arguments saying that Crosby played on the wing for all the month of October...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Louiss said:
PEI fans..? I'm still waiting for your strong arguments saying that Crosby played on the wing for all the month of October...
Well, first of all I never said he played on the wing for all the month of Oct.,but
I was wrong with some of my comments,but so were you.I said he started playing
the wing sometime in late Oct. and that is correct.I saw him play Oct. 31 and Nov.1 live and he played wing the entire 2nd and 3rd periods of those games.I also chatted with guys on boards for games after that and was told he was still on the wing but looking over the boxscores from the games in Nov. you highlited he wasn't on the wing as much as I thought through that period.HOWEVER if you
look closely at the boxscores he is playing with Pouliot and Roussin in some of
those games and from the games I've seen and what guys have told me on other
message boards is thst they would share the faceoffs but as far as positioning
Pouliot played center. I looked at recent boxscores for faceoffs and the large gap of overall faceoffs between Pouliot and Crosby 400 + and putting that together with the games I saw I made some assumptions.I will revise my statement to say
he virtually played 10-12 games on wing.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
he played 7 full games on the wing but on the PowerPlay he is never at cneter and he is with Pouliot and Roussin..

Plus sometimes as I told before the coach decide to put the 3 big guys together near ends of period or in the third when looking for goals...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I have it as 11 games at wing (4 of them for 2 periods and 7 full games).But yeah
I think what you're saying is right,they also put them together in the 3rd.On the
power play he plays on the point, which again doesn't make sense to me.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
He often plays on the wing for the 1st powerplay and then moove on to the point for the second one meaning that he can spend the full 2 minutes on the ice quite often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->