Crosby/Malkin vs McDavid/Draisaitl vs MacKinnon/Marner vs Kucherov/Matthews for a playoff run?

Which duo would you take

• Total voters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins duo is probably last for me just because of their age. The Oilers duo does have the best players, but their playoff resumes are both spotty at best. MacKinnon and Kucherov are the best playoff players of this group, but Matthews and Marner are also the worst.

Man, this is tough. I don't really feel like any of these options are clearly better than the other one, outside of the Penguins duo being the worst. I think I'd go MacKinnon and Marner but I'm super not confident with my choice. I feel like the Penguins duo is the only "wrong" choice here.

Reactions: slapKing

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I would go with McDavid and Draisaitl but they still have a hell of a lot to prove when the games actually matter. Sid and Geno are just too old (though they are the obvious/easy choice if we're talking prime).

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Sid and Geno. For me thats the only logical choise. Every other duo is flawed. Sid and Geno are both elite playoff performers.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Give McDrai a supporting cast and they would be fine. Went with them rather easily.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You can easily go with Crosby + Malkin. They have the track record, so it's hard to argue against. But they just had 3 bad playoffs in a row - so that argument probably doesn't sound as compelling today as it once did.

I like Mack fine and all - and maybe you can convince me to take him above the better player (McDavid) in playoffs - but Marner over Drai? I just can't get there. I like Marner fine - but Drai is better, especially for playoffs.

I actually like the Kucherov + Matthews pairing quite a bit. Kucherov has been excellent in playoffs for many years - and I like Matthews more than Marner for playoffs.

In the end though - McDavid + Drai. None of the other duos are good enough for you to pass up on them. If you had put Kucherov + Mack i'd take that for example, or maybe Crosby + Kuch or Mack.

Sid + Geno #2 - and in my opinion, the only duo that can give McDrai a run for their money.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Not sure why MacKinnon isn’t paired correctly. If they were I would go with them and then Crosby/Malkin second. 3 Cups is a pedigree McJesus and Drai don’t have and I still trust it to come through despite a recent dropoff for the Pens stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad