Crosby, Lemieux & Gretzky only players in NHL history to average a point per game first 15 Seasons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can just imagine the main board trying to wrack that little pea sized brains of theirs to diminish that accomplishment somehow or shoehorn Ovechkin and McDavid into that conversation because they can't handle appreciating a talent like that in their lifetime.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Decent season given that he’s 32 years old with his guts spilling out.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It's wild to me that Crosby has been in the league for 15 years. So much has happened since he was drafted but it really feels like yesterday that he was still "the kid," or getting accolades as "the youngest player" to do something.

I know it's been talked to death, but looking back on his career, it's hard not to wonder what could have been if not for all the time he missed in 2011-12. I really do think we might have seen something like a 130+ point season from him.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's wild to me that Crosby has been in the league for 15 years. So much has happened since he was drafted but it really feels like yesterday that he was still "the kid," or getting accolades as "the youngest player" to do something.

I know it's been talked to death, but looking back on his career, it's hard not to wonder what could have been if not for all the time he missed in 2011-12. I really do think we might have seen something like a 130+ point season from him.

watching Last Dance and rewatching basically the entire career of Sid and Geno in the last two months, I got this pretty confident opinion:
Sid and Geno are somewhat underated...they have been so good for so long...consistently playing with a bunch of average wingers and yet just raising the level of each and every one around, while keeping the really high points per game average. One thing I wish I could come up with would be a shooting percentage on High danger chances by their linemates set up by Geno and Sid. One thing in rewatching so many games that struck with me was how many glorious chances their linemates missed.

Jordan won 6 titles starting at age 28, first threepeat 28-31, second threepeat 32-35
Sid and Geno won the first cup when they were in their early 20 and then came atotal incompetence by Penguins management that basically deprived them from winning at least 5-6 titles ...Shero and Bylsma just f***ed everything up for them...(Ok Sid's concussion and medical mismanagement including) they surrounded them with inadequate players, Bylsma coaching was awful, luckily GMJR and Sully fixed that and gave them fighting chance and more...
Btw Geno again lead the league in points/60 minutes this year...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
watching Last Dance and rewatching basically the entire career of Sid and Geno in the last two months, I got this pretty confident opinion:
Sid and Geno are somewhat underated...they have been so good for so long...consistently playing with a bunch of average wingers and yet just raising the level of each and every one around, while keeping the really high points per game average. One thing I wish I could come up with would be a shooting percentage on High danger chances by their linemates set up by Geno and Sid. One thing in rewatching so many games that struck with me was how many glorious chances their linemates missed.

Jordan won 6 titles starting at age 28, first threepeat 28-31, second threepeat 32-35
Sid and Geno won the first cup when they were in their early 20 and then came atotal incompetence by Penguins management that basically deprived them from winning at least 5-6 titles ...Shero and Bylsma just f***ed everything up for them...(Ok Sid's concussion and medical mismanagement including) they surrounded them with inadequate players, Bylsma coaching was awful, luckily GMJR and Sully fixed that and gave them fighting chance and more...
Btw Geno again lead the league in points/60 minutes this year...

The commentary back then was "they can't afford better linemates."

But they could always seem to afford FA defensemen and overpriced depth players.

I definitely never bought that excuse. They just didn't know how to leverage their advantage in Sid and Geno. And as a result a Cup or two was probably left on the table.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The commentary back then was "they can't afford better linemates."

But they could always seem to afford FA defensemen and overpriced depth players.

I definitely never bought that excuse. They just didn't know how to leverage their advantage in Sid and Geno. And as a result a Cup or two was probably left on the table.

The defensive thing is true, but that was mainly in reaction to us losing Scuderi, Gill and Gonchar falling off a cliff.

Martin and Michalek were smart moves in a vacuum, but the bigger issue was we never tried young talent with Sid or Malkin. It was always career AHLers or past their prime vets. That being said they did supposedly go after multiple big names during that time period.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The defensive thing is true, but that was mainly in reaction to us losing Scuderi, Gill and Gonchar falling off a cliff.

Martin and Michalek were smart moves in a vacuum, but the bigger issue was we never tried young talent with Sid or Malkin. It was always career AHLers or past their prime vets. That being said they did supposedly go after multiple big names during that time period.

That's true. There was always smoke and I realize you can't MAKE people sign (the Hossa offer was also very competitive to be fair). But I can't help but think that a lot of that was just an offer here and there (probably in the low territory) just to say "hey, we tried!" It just seems weird that JR was able to pull off the kind of deal fans had been clamoring for for like half a decade almost as soon as he came in.

Completely agree re: young players and developing AHL talent with an eye for the top six. It just never happened or seemed much of a priority. You then look at guys like Rust, Guentzel and on down the line and realize even more opportunity was missed, there.

Reactions: vodeni

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's true. There was always smoke and I realize you can't MAKE people sign (the Hossa offer was also very competitive to be fair). But I can't help but think that a lot of that was just an offer here and there (probably in the low territory) just to say "hey, we tried!" It just seems weird that JR was able to pull off the kind of deal fans had been clamoring for for like half a decade almost as soon as he came in.

Completely agree re: young players and developing AHL talent with an eye for the top six. It just never happened or seemed much of a priority. You then look at guys like Rust, Guentzel and on down the line and realize even more opportunity was missed, there.

I think the biggest issue is Shero was handcuffed by the cap. Crosby and Malkin got paid way earlier due to our immediate success and Staal too. Add in the defense costs outside of Letang and that is what screwed the pooch.

Rutherford lucked out. He had a team with one bad year in terms of cap and then was able to parlay a ton of the built up assets into forward depth.

I honestly think we would’ve seen some really solid moves from Shero following 13-14. Likely Trotz as coach and then similar deals to Vatanen and Palms. That being said, who cares. It was his time to go.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess I don't agree at all that Shero was a victim of the cap and JR was just lucky. But I do agree that it's totally irrelevant now so whatever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

My gf is the same age as Sid. So I can't call him a Kid anymore, it just seems weird to me and yeah time flies with how long him and Geno have been Penguins. I love that they will retire as Penguins too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->