TopOfTheWorld

Jan 5, 2005
Canada
January 7, 2005
NR006

SIDNEY CROSBY’S RED GOLD MEDAL GAME WORN JERSEY MISSING;
HOCKEY CANADA REMOVES WHITE GAME WORN CROSBY JERSEY FROM
EBAY CANADA AUCTION

CALGARY, AB – Hockey Canada announced on Friday that Team Canada forward Sidney Crosby’s red gold medal game worn jersey from the 2005 IIHF World Junior Championship has gone missing from his hockey equipment bag between Grand Forks, ND and Mont Joli, QC.

Therefore, Hockey Canada announced that the white game worn Crosby jersey currently up for auction via a Hockey Canada / eBay Canada auction will be removed immediately from the on-line auction, and will be given to Crosby to replace his missing red game worn gold medal jersey.

At the time of removal of Crosby’s jersey from the Hockey Canada eBay auction, the jersey bidding had reached $20,000 CDN.

Each player on Team Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championship had two game worn jerseys. The red jersey, which was worn during the gold medal game, was given to each player to keep. The other jersey, which was white, was placed on an eBay Canada auction by Hockey Canada with net proceeds raised from the game worn jerseys, gloves and helmets to go to the Canadian Hockey Foundation and the South Asian relief fund.

Hockey Canada had originally planned to split the net proceeds from this auction 25% to the South Asian relief fund and 75% to the Canadian Hockey Foundation, but will now provide each organization with an even 50% / 50% split of net proceeds from this auction.

Crosby’s red game worn gold medal jersey was packed by Crosby within his hockey equipment after Tuesday night’s game in Grand Forks, ND. Crosby and his Team Canada teammates left Winnipeg on Wednesday morning back to their hometown or Canadian Hockey League city. It was upon arrival in Mont Joli, QC that Crosby had realized that his red gold medal game worn jersey was missing.

Hockey Canada has contacted and filed reports with both Air Canada, the airline that transported Crosby and his bags and the University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, ND) police department.
If anyone has any information regarding the whereabouts of Crosby’s World Junior red game worn gold medal jersey, please contact Denis Hainault at Hockey Canada at 403-777-3621. A reward will be offered to information leading to the return of this Crosby red game worn jersey.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
TopOfTheWorld said:
I think knowing his character and knowing it was going to charity, hes gonna put it back up

Didnt know it was going to charity...yes I think he'll put it up as well. Hes a good kid.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I agree that the charity is a great cause, however I don't see him neccesarily putting it back up, there's tons of good reasons not to.

He's a 17 year old kid who has just reached what is likely going to be one of the top 5 achievements in his life. The Stanley Cup, winning every scoring trophy the NHL has to offer, winning the Calder, and maybe getting married will likely be the other highlites. He DESERVES the right to keep momentoes from such things, and it's disgusting to think that someone could think it reasonable to take that away from him. The kid is going to provide us hockey fans with many years of enjoyment watching him play, and his junior career is now going to be marred with the loss of a great piece of his history.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
I've heard this might be a move to try and get the red jersey back. How this will help I don't know, but either way with one missing Crosby should get to keep one. It's hardly fair to let the kid walk away empty handed. Whether or not he puts it back up is his decision, but I can't blame the guy if he doesn't, even if proceeds will go to charity.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
GregStack said:
I agree that the charity is a great cause, however I don't see him neccesarily putting it back up, there's tons of good reasons not to.

He's a 17 year old kid who has just reached what is likely going to be one of the top 5 achievements in his life. The Stanley Cup, winning every scoring trophy the NHL has to offer, winning the Calder, and maybe getting married will likely be the other highlites. He DESERVES the right to keep momentoes from such things, and it's disgusting to think that someone could think it reasonable to take that away from him. The kid is going to provide us hockey fans with many years of enjoyment watching him play, and his junior career is now going to be marred with the loss of a great piece of his history.

It's just a game worn jersey. A piece of fabric with some dried sweat in it. I woudn't be surprised if he figured that the gold medal hanging on his neck is the best momento and put the jersey back up on Ebay.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Hockey Canada have change the % of money going back for Charity just for that you know. Crosby wont have to feel cheap and he deserved having a jersey just like every other guys of the team imo.

A quick review:

Crosby jersey = 20 000 = 5 000$ to Charity

There was at least 3 jersey over 2000$: Bergeron, Richards (2500$) and Phaneuf. (real reports from rds.ca). Let's put them at 2000$ each.

They were going to give 25% of 6000$ to charity = 1500$
Now, it's 50% = 3000$
________
Only with those 3 jerseys, it's 1500$.
So only 3500$ remained to be regain and i dont think it's hard to agree the $ gain coming from the 25% to 50% on the selling of ALL the others 18 jerseys (they were 22-23 players?) will be well over 3500$.

The point is Crosby wont feel cheap since the result will be more $ to charity. He's still a "kid" and a jersey like this is such a nice jersey would will give him a lot of good-flashbacks later in his days.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If it was me then the jersey would probably mean a lot. If it were me, then I'd keep the jersey. I would definately make up for it though by making a generous donation to charity when I get my first NHL contract. I think that's more then fair. He does the right thing, and gets to keep something very important to him.

Dec 29, 2004
Beauty said:
That's so messed up that his jersey was ripped off. I hope the person that did it knows he stole a very important thing from a kid.

Agreed. What do you do with a stolen jersey? Sell it? Who would buy it? Everyone knows that jersey is stolen... so showing it off is now out of the question. You can't really display it, except in your closet... Hopefully the person responsible will have the hindsight to realize that there is no real enjoyment to owning it now because they can't show it off as the "bling" that it is without revealing themselves as a thief. Maybe they will realize this and mail it to the kid as a token of good will. :dunno:

Dion Mustard*

#37 said:
Agreed. What do you do with a stolen jersey? Sell it? Who would buy it? Everyone knows that jersey is stolen... so showing it off is now out of the question. You can't really display it, except in your closet...

Ever wonder why people steal priceless pieces of art?

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Dont underestimate any blackmarket.

Of COURSE, there is a value for such a jersey even stolen... I honestly can't understand why would you pay 20 000$ for a jersey but if the white jersey was worth that, the stolen one worth at least some good $$.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Boucicaut said:
It's just a game worn jersey. A piece of fabric with some dried sweat in it. I woudn't be surprised if he figured that the gold medal hanging on his neck is the best momento and put the jersey back up on Ebay.

Hmmm, reminds me of a Simpsons quote: "Lets not 'SHOULD' this fellow to death". For everybody who's concerned about tsunami relief, maybe you should scrape 5 or 10 % of your next few paychecks. Face it, we all have luxuries we could liquidate and sell for charity.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Boucicaut said:

I think you're dead wrong.

The award is likely worth less to Sidney than the jersey, than the sticks, than than gloves. It is a piece of fabric with some dried sweat on it, yes. However what makes a hunk of metal any more valuable?

If you are, or ever were an athlete, I'd expect you'd understand.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
GregStack said:

The award is likely worth less to Sidney than the jersey, than the sticks, than than gloves. It is a piece of fabric with some dried sweat on it, yes. However what makes a hunk of metal any more valuable?

excellent analogy.. great post

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Ever wonder why people steal priceless pieces of art?

Except the black market for stolen art is far more lucrative. I doubt there would be as many buyers for a WJC hockey jersey (nor willing to pay as much) compared to a painting pilfered from the Louvre.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
GregStack said:

You may be right. By the way, how do you define an athlete? I have done a lot sports and still do, but mostly on a recreational level. You know, if you choose to pursue an academic career, there is hardly time for pro sports of any kind.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
GregStack said:

I agree, I would want to keep it cause it would mean something to me. Poor Sidney, what kind of ******* steals a kid's jersey? Thats just so wrong.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
It sucks that his jersey was stolen..or lost...But it's kinda weird that his game-worn helmet and gloves are still for sale on Ebay....Those would be important to me!

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Just hope the charities that were supposed to receive the proceeds from the sale of the jersey still get their money. Minor hockey and tsunami relief shouldn't have to pay because some knob stole a kid's sweater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->