Crosby in NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
AJ1982 said:
Lionel Hutz said:
First and foremost, please do not confuse me with a Washington fan.

I'm not saying the teams are great, disputing their place at the bottom of the league. I'm just saying calling a team terrible or crappy is bush league. You GUYS (not singular) can do better than that. QUOTE]

So basically you are calling for everyone to be politically correct so as to not hurt the feelings of any sensitive caps or pens fans? There is enough political correctness going on in the media that I don't think we need to begin having PC police patrolling these boards.

I'm not asking for anyone to be politically correct, and I'm not sure where you got that from.

I'm saying that an intelligent poster should easily be able to come up with something better than "crappy". Thats all. Say whatevery you want about last year's cellar dwellers, just hopefully you can be a little less amateur than calling them crappy, terrible etc.

But, if you chose to call a team crappy, be my guest, you'll make yourself look weak more than anything else.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
here's some sort of benchmark:

Bouchard's last year junior:

69 46 94 140

1st year NHL:

50 7 13 20

Crosby (both a year earlier):

last year, in junior:

59 54 81 135

So, how would he do comparing a 17 year old Crosby to an 18 year old Bouchard?

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Bouchard is 150... Crosby 180

And Crosby Is Much Stronger Than Bouchard

and Sid Put up 135 at 16 while playing 57 games... 140 at 17 for P-M in 69 games

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
If Gagne can get 50 points in his rookie year and Tanguay can get 50 points in his rookie year, I'd speculate that Crosby could get 60 points.

People balk at the hype, but there must be a reason for it (?)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Minnesota Norse Star said:
If Gagne can get 50 points in his rookie year and Tanguay can get 50 points in his rookie year, I'd speculate that Crosby could get 60 points.

Thats actually a fairly good point.

Gagne and Tanguay were barely 6'00 180 in their rookie years and didnt dominate near as much as Crosby did despite being 2-3 years older.

I think 40 pts for Crosby would be doable.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004

There is a reason for it.When you see him live ,you will know the reason.
Most peoples reaction unless they have a strong bias is they are amazed
at the many things he can do.Sid is going to surprise a few naysayers his
rookie year.

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
Lionel Hutz said:
I find referring to Washington and Pittburgh as "terrible" and "crappy" is a very low calibre comment, if you put some thought into it and come up with something much better, and much less ignorant.

If Crosby were drafted right now, I'd say give him another year in the Q. Can't hurt. I don't feel his impact would be that outrageous right now that it would be worth putting him in the NHL without the benefit of first becoming an adult and putting on some mass.

Hey Atlanta had to deal with it for 3 years so they can two. :teach:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Neither Gagne or Tanguay were 17 when playing in the NHL. Gagne turned 20 during his rookie season, Tanguay turned 20.

No one is saying that Crosby wont end up a good NHL player or won't have a good rookie season. He most likely will end up with a pretty decent rookie season.

But that isn't what is talked about here. Here we are discussing the fantasies of those that hype Crosby that he somehow is more than ready for the NHL. He isn't. It isn't a knock on Crosby. It is a knock on the comicbook idea that a boy will beat the men. It is a romantic notion, but nothing more.

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Look at what Bergeron, not such a highly-regarded prospect, did at 18 against men despite only one year of junior. Brad Richards was physically similar to Crosby (now) when he was 19 and had a similarly dominant Q season. He got 60+ in hid first NHL season. Gange and Tanguay were hardly physically mature too. And let's not even begin with the 18yr old Gretzkys, Yzermans, Hawerchuks...all still boy-sized yet...

Boys CAN beat mean when the boy is a phenom. Look at Wayne Rooney! I'd say Crosby could score 70+ in the show this year.

(I remember the naysayers doing the same song and dance when Crosby entered junior last year).

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
id characterize the Pens and the Caps the Salieris' of professional hockey. They are to hockey what Danielle Steele is to literature. They are as to hockey as McDonalds is to gourmet dining.

Hope that's highbrow enough for you Hutz. You should tone down your silly pomposity. maybe you were jsut having a bad day, but really, your posts in this thread are ridiculous. ....calling out people for calling teams crappy or terrible????

I didn't realize you needed to be Keats to post here.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Wondercarrot said:
id characterize the Pens and the Caps the Salieris' of professional hockey. They are to hockey what Danielle Steele is to literature. They are as to hockey as McDonalds is to gourmet dining.

Hope that's highbrow enough for you Hutz. You should tone down your silly pomposity. maybe you were jsut having a bad day, but really, your posts in this thread are ridiculous. ....calling out people for calling teams crappy or terrible????

I didn't realize you needed to be Keats to post here.

If that was you're best approximation of Keats, I'm unimpressed.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Wow Crosby is playing guys close to his age..wait until he plays in the season with the Pronger,Stevens,Hatcher and other huge defenseman not to mention lots of forwards that are gonna take a run at him. He won't have as much space,time and energy as he did because of the physical punishment and the skills of the NHL. He might get 40 pts in his drafted year..but not next year for sure(that was the thread all about).

He's gonna get punished and he's gonna get hit hard every single game, and he can't really do anything, he can't start complaining like his coaches did and said they won't play him. He's gonna get laughed at if he ever does something stupid like that. Primeau,Roenick,Tucker,Nolan,Roberts,Peca, these are the type of nhl players were he's gonna have a hard time against and most teams have big guys who stick to ur ass and annoy you. Comparing his "strength" in his league to the big leagues is a big joke.

stockwizard*

PEI fan, I don't know where you got that info, but if Crosby is Squatting 400 pounds of free weights as a 185 pound 16 year old- it is simply PHENOMONAL.
Somehow, I doubt it is true.

Anyone who says it is not very much have no clue.

Most NHL players do not squat that much for reps.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
400 is a pretty decent squat if you do it for a good number of reps. I'm skeptical of that information, because even though Crosby has a pretty solid-looking body, I know guys that are much bigger and train on weights all the time, and max out at around 400. I'd find 300 to be a pretty believable number.

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
SO if Crosby puts up 25-35 points his rookie year, we will get thousands of

"Whats wrong with Crosby Posts" just like we got for awhile midseason concerning Ruutu this year. I cant wait. I am not saying he will get 25-35 but if he does only get that, then I will enjoy browsing these boards

stockwizard*

Epsilon said:
400 is a pretty decent squat if you do it for a good number of reps. I'm skeptical of that information, because even though Crosby has a pretty solid-looking body, I know guys that are much bigger and train on weights all the time, and max out at around 400. I'd find 300 to be a pretty believable number.
People are forgetting he is 16 years old and 185. I am definetely skeptical about that info.

If it was true, he would be the strongest natural 16 year old I have ever heard of.

You're right. Some massive guys full of roids can't squat that much for reps.

stockwizard*

Big Bill said:

"Whats wrong with Crosby Posts" just like we got for awhile midseason concerning Ruutu this year. I cant wait. I am not saying he will get 25-35 but if he does only get that, then I will enjoy browsing these boards

Don't worry. He WILL get more than 25 points.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
stockwizard said:
People are forgetting he is 16 years old and 185. I am definetely skeptical about that info.

If it was true, he would be the strongest natural 16 year old I have ever heard of.

You're right. Some massive guys full of roids can't squat that much for reps.

well I don't know here, Sidney was working out at my gym at Saint Marys University in Halifax durring the summers and he was working back with his personal trainer (this was when he was 14/15) and he was doing two plates for T-Bar rows which isn't bad for anyone but is super for a kid of that age limite. He has alot of strength so if he can squate that much it wouldn't shock me as he loves working out, so anything is possible.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Big Bill said:

Of course. Crosby is the best offensive prospect in about 20 years. If he could only match a Patrice Bergeron in his 18 yr. old season it would be shocking. Let's make no bones about it- this guy SHOULD score more as an 18 yr old than anyone in a decade or two. Why people are predicting a rather mediocre or pedestrian beginning to his NHL career is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad