Crosby in negotiations with Lugano - per TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckreg

Feb 24, 2004
Washington, DC
link Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned. With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club. Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Sorry for my ignorance but what are those tough new limits on entry-level contracts?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TORRUS said:
Sorry for my ignorance but what are those tough new limits on entry-level contracts?

$850k base salary with a $85k signing bonus and basically no incentives...compared to the old system of $1.3 mil base with incentives that made it so guys could make unlimited $$.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
He's not going to Europe, relax.

The guy is simply preparing for the worst case scenario.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Gatorade and Reebok pay Crosby craploads of $ so that he can play in Europe?

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off

Crosby will not play in Europe next season unless something prevents him from playing in NHL, you can quote me on this one.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Offcourse, he has to be prepared in case of a prolonged lockout. Although he would make more money in Europe hes goal is to play in the NHL and I doubt he would choose more money over playing in the NHL. Unless he doesn't make his NHL team...

Crosby-Lugano
Ovechkin-Omsk, check it here: http://www.russianprospects.com/public/article.php?article_id=315&anchor=Main

It's simalar a situation and they are just making sure that they will play somewhere in case of a lockout.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Pepper said:
Gatorade and Reebok pay Crosby craploads of $ so that he can play in Europe?

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off

Crosby will not play in Europe next season unless something prevents him from playing in NHL, you can quote me on this one.

Thank-you Captain Obvious. Well done Holmes.

Looks like another pointless thread that's going to turn into a discussion about something totally different. ;)

A Good Flying Bird*

nomorekids said:
If he goes for Europe in a cash-grab...

...good riddance. I hope he never plays on North American soil again.

Wow.
Imagine how Europeans must feel, every year they watch the Kovalchuks, Zetterbergs and Ruutus come over to North America.

Why is it that that people don't seem to have a problem with doctors opening up private practices, or pharma companies charging whatever the market will allow for their drugs, but my oh my, if a professional hockey player wants to play where he can make the most money, it's "good riddance."

Fans are all ready fighting over percentage points in the race to draft Crosby. WHatever team gets him will put him in just about every marketing campaign they do.
But heavens ... the NHL, which will now have a salary cap so to protect owners and GMs from their own ineptitude, will also need a rookie cap EVEN MORE RESTRICTIVE than the one they all ready had ... For what?

Anybody with a brain can tell you that putting EVEN MORE RESTRICTIONS on the rookie cap will only make it more likely that a rookie will consider his options.

And yet you guys bash them for doing what anyone of you would do in the same position.
Incredible.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Newsguyone said:
Wow.
Imagine how Europeans must feel, every year they watch the Kovalchuks, Zetterbergs and Ruutus come over to North America.

Why is it that that people don't seem to have a problem with doctors opening up private practices, or pharma companies charging whatever the market will allow for their drugs, but my oh my, if a professional hockey player wants to play where he can make the most money, it's "good riddance."
The difference is that Crosby has set himself up during the lockout as being of the frame of mind that it's not about the money, it's about playing in the best league in the world. This is practically a paraphrase of what he said when the WHA offered him that big-time deal back when it still had a future. He said that the money wasn't the issue, and that he didn't want to play in the WHA, because he wanted to wait for the NHL to come back so he could play in the "best league".

Now suddenly he's looking at Lugano. You find me more than half a dozen people that don't think there will be hockey this season, and that there won't be a draft to get Crosby onto an NHL club. "The best league in the world" is waiting for him, and suddenly there are negotiations with the Swiss league. Not only can't you tell me that the Swiss league is the best in the world, there's no way it's even the best league in Europe. This deal is all about money.

the NHL, which will now have a salary cap so to protect owners and GMs from their own ineptitude, will also need a rookie cap EVEN MORE RESTRICTIVE than the one they all ready had
There is no way you can decry the last rookie salary structure. The Joe Thornton deal proved that that rookie setup was a joke with a huge set of loopholes.

And yet you guys bash them for doing what anyone of you would do in the same position.
Incredible.
I wouldn't do the same thing. If I was Sidney Crosby, I would want to play in the NHL. I have nothing against the European leagues, but I would want to play on a level that would provide the best opportunity to test my skills. Whether I make $1 million or $3 million is almost irrelevant, because no matter what I'll live comfortably.

Besides, extra money from endoresments that would be the result of NHL exposure would offset the extra money Lugano can pay him

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Wow.

Fans are all ready fighting over percentage points in the race to draft Crosby. WHatever team gets him will put him in just about every marketing campaign they do.
But heavens ... the NHL, which will now have a salary cap so to protect owners and GMs from their own ineptitude, will also need a rookie cap EVEN MORE RESTRICTIVE than the one they all ready had ... For what?

Anybody with a brain can tell you that putting EVEN MORE RESTRICTIONS on the rookie cap will only make it more likely that a rookie will consider his options.

Incredible.
He would make less money in the long run as he would still come to the NHL as a rookie and would have spent a few years of his career in Switzerland. He is only looking at it in case there is a lockout. It could also be Pat Brisson doing a little scheming in a (foolish) attempt to get the NHL to make an exception for Sid.

ProctorSilex

nomorekids said:
If he goes for Europe in a cash-grab...

...good riddance. I hope he never plays on North American soil again.

Exactly, screw him if he does this. Gatorade and Reebok would probably pull something to get their money back too.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Newsguyone said:
Wow.

Incredible.

Nice reach there, chum.

Zetterberg, Kovalchuk Ruutu...likely grew up dreaming to play in the NHL. It's, BY FAR, the most competitive, highest level that a hockey player can get to. In the long run, the most money is available in the NHL.

Conversely, do you think that Crosby...or any hockey player in North America...dreams of one day lacing them up for "Lugano," "Davos" or even "Ak-Bars Kazan?" Doubtful.

It's his perogative if he wants to go play in Europe...but it's mine to look down upon him for it. Leave it to you to turn this into another "boo-hoo, the new system will be so evil" post.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
I doubt he's going to play overseas with his advertising deals. However, if he does, the team that get's the first pick will have to think hard about trading his rights. Although, is trade value will take a hit too.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
This is ridiculous.

People just want an opportunity to jump all over a kid who has, considering the situation, hadn't himself in a remarkably composed way.

He is simply taking precautions. Not many really thought there wouldn't be a season last year. He's done everything right thus far. The money has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm sure his endorsement deals specifies that he's an NHL player, particularly considering the context of which both deals were signed. If he were to go to Europe his endorsements would almost certainly be void. He has smart people around him, and they know this. He would lose far more than he'd gain by going there to play over the NHL (and that's not even considering his potentially lost NHL salary).

This is nothing more than an attempt to ensure, in the worst case scenario, he has a higher quality of place to play than the QMJHL.

A Good Flying Bird*

nomorekids said:
Nice reach there, chum.

Zetterberg, Kovalchuk Ruutu...likely grew up dreaming to play in the NHL. It's, BY FAR, the most competitive, highest level that a hockey player can get to. In the long run, the most money is available in the NHL.

Conversely, do you think that Crosby...or any hockey player in North America...dreams of one day lacing them up for "Lugano," "Davos" or even "Ak-Bars Kazan?" Doubtful.

It's his perogative if he wants to go play in Europe...but it's mine to look down upon him for it. Leave it to you to turn this into another "boo-hoo, the new system will be so evil" post.

It's not evil. It's stupid. The owners have their salary cap, there is virtually no need for a rookie cap. If a team wants to spend its limited resources on a rookie rather than a veteran, it should have that right.

Maybe you think it's a good idea to have the league's brightest young star looking yonder, but I don't.
I see no reason why he shouldn't make as much as Darren McCarty.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Newsguyone said:
It's not evil. It's stupid. The owners have their salary cap, there is virtually no need for a rookie cap. If a team wants to spend its limited resources on a rookie rather than a veteran, it should have that right.

Maybe you think it's a good idea to have the league's brightest young star looking yonder, but I don't.
I see no reason why he shouldn't make as much as Darren McCarty.

because he's proven nothing at an NHL level. For every "sure-thing" prospect, there were guys that were supposed to be great NHLers and never panned out. Did you know Todd Warriner is a former top ten pick? Denis Pederson was a first rounder, as well. There's no reason that he(or Carter, or Phaneuf...or any other highly regarded prospect) can't be patient...come in and make a fair chunk of money to start for the first couple of years...and THEN...if they've earned it...they get their payday. What's the harm in that? Why shouldn't whatever team drafts Crosby be given the right to pay a safe amount of money to START...and give him his due when it's due?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
puckreg said:
link Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned. With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club. Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.

Imo all this talk of Crosby playing in Europe is being pushed for 1 reason:

Crosby and his rep are trying to influence current cba talks,increase the bonus money for rookies.

The ironic part is, if I were in the front office of an nhl team,I'd feel more confident having drafted Canadian boy Crosby,then either Ovechkin or Malkin.Several articles from last season, mentioned what a culture shock playing in Europe was for many NA players.Well it wouldn't be a culture shock for the young russains AO and Malkin,but it would probably be for 18 yr old Crosby.

Gatorade and Reebok haven't signed Crosby to million dollar deals because he's going to be playing for a Swiss team.I also doubt Crosby's reps are sitting back,content with just those two major advertising deals.They're out looking for more NA endorsements for Crosby.

Rakiet*

It's just an insurance policy, but it does shed light on a new factor for the NHL, which is players could possibly elect to play for one of those russian oil companies if their all about the $s. The superstars doing this, unlikely, but the ones that were on the cusp of stardom and failed, and could attract a crowd..its possible for someone like that for example to go where they'll dish out the cash.

A Good Flying Bird*

The Nemesis said:
The difference is that Crosby has set himself up during the lockout as being of the frame of mind that it's not about the money, it's about playing in the best league in the world. This is practically a paraphrase of what he said when the WHA offered him that big-time deal back when it still had a future. He said that the money wasn't the issue, and that he didn't want to play in the WHA, because he wanted to wait for the NHL to come back so he could play in the "best league".

Yeah, well lots of people graduate from college and think about joining the peace corps. Then they get a job that pays thje bills.

The Nemesis said:
Now suddenly he's looking at Lugano. You find me more than half a dozen people that don't think there will be hockey this season, and that there won't be a draft to get Crosby onto an NHL club. "The best league in the world" is waiting for him, and suddenly there are negotiations with the Swiss league. Not only can't you tell me that the Swiss league is the best in the world, there's no way it's even the best league in Europe. This deal is all about money.".

What contract isn't all about money?
The whole lockout is ALL ABOUT MONEY.

When will people learn ... IT's ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Be grateful for the Olympics and for those moments in the Stanley Cup when it appears that the players have forgotten about money and that they are playing for the pride of victory.

But let's face it. It's all about money. It's why I go to work. How about you?

The Nemesis said:
There is no way you can decry the last rookie salary structure. The Joe Thornton deal proved that that rookie setup was a joke with a huge set of loopholes..".

So fix the loopholes.
But increase the rookie cap.
For crying out loud, the NHL is the best league in the world. It has 10 times more cash than any other league.
It should be a source of concern to the league its rules allow two-bit leagues to compete with the NHL for its best young players.

The Nemesis said:
I wouldn't do the same thing. If I was Sidney Crosby, I would want to play in the NHL. I have nothing against the European leagues, but I would want to play on a level that would provide the best opportunity to test my skills. Whether I make $1 million or $3 million is almost irrelevant, because no matter what I'll live comfortably.

I am not saying he should take the deal.
I am saying he'd be foolish not to explore his options.

Crosby should think about maxing out his income in the early years, because if he gets hurt 5 games into the season, the next 15 years of million dollar contracts are history.

The Nemesis said:
Besides, extra money from endoresments that would be the result of NHL exposure would offset the extra money Lugano can pay him

You're probably right. WHich is why I think Crosby will stay in North America.
But it doesn't mean he shouldn't look into Europe.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
DARKSIDE said:
I doubt he's going to play overseas with his advertising deals. However, if he does, the team that get's the first pick will have to think hard about trading his rights. Although, is trade value will take a hit too.

I disagree.Crosby's 18,not 22.

It'd be like drafting a youngster and expecting him to take a couple of yrs to develop in a lower league.He'll still be a very young 20/21 when he makes your nhl team.

If he went to europe,I'd actually rather see him go to a more competitive league like the Swedish Elite League or the Russian Super League.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
nomorekids said:
because he's proven nothing at an NHL level. For every "sure-thing" prospect, there were guys that were supposed to be great NHLers and never panned out. Did you know Todd Warriner is a former top ten pick? Denis Pederson was a first rounder, as well. There's no reason that he(or Carter, or Phaneuf...or any other highly regarded prospect) can't be patient...come in and make a fair chunk of money to start for the first couple of years...and THEN...if they've earned it...they get their payday. What's the harm in that? Why shouldn't whatever team drafts Crosby be given the right to pay a safe amount of money to START...and give him his due when it's due?

Great post, I could'nt agree more. Great players make great money. When he conquers the NHL like all the other leagues he has played then pay him top $$$$, but not until then.

A Good Flying Bird*

nomorekids said:

Because that team will make money off of Crosby, one way or the other. Crosby will immediately boost season ticket sales and merchandise sales in just about decent market there is.

Crosby doesn't need to score a goal next season, and he'd be worth every penny of a $1.5 Million contract.

Let's be honest with ourselves here. How many of this year's drafted players have a good shot at starting the season in North America?
Let's see. There's Crosby. And then, hmm. Nope. Crosby. Kopitar? Probably not. Johnson. Nope.

Crosby. And that's about it.
Ask yourself this. Even if there was no rookie cap, how many freshly drafted rookies have we seen in the last 10 years that have the kind of leverage needed to win a big contract?
Not very many. Crosby. Thorton. Kovalchuk. Spezza.

For the most part, guys don't get signed until nearly two years after the draft. At that point, teams have a much better idea of what they are getting and what they should offer.

I don't think a guy like Todd Warriner ever could command a big contract.

There are risks involved, for sure. But at the same time, I think you've gotta give teams the ability to compete with offers from Russian and, for crying out loud, Swiss teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->