Crosby - full shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
littleHossa said:
Funny how the TSN commentators said "Yemelin is not required to wear a face-mask, but chooses to anyway"

That really is interesting. Actually Ovechkin and some other Russian used the shield last year, even when they were over 18. I'm not sure what the reason is, I only seem to remember that in some rules players over 18 have to wear either full shield or mouth guard. Maybe that is a reason for someone's decision.

I Hate You All*

Crosbyfan said:
Why would Sid worry about a senior citizen? (at the rate the negotiations are going...)

I don't know. Why don't you go ask him? Why don't you ask him why he is going to rock the full shield when he makes it to the NHL?

BCCHL inactive

The Messenger said:
No its in the offical IIHF rule book that all players under 18 are required to wear a full shield .. the neck brace thing is his own choice not manditory but designed to protect against cross checks to the back of the net from Dman clearing the crease ..

Neck guards are protection against skates cutting your throat. They don't protect against sticks and pucks.

ErnestoGuevara

Jan 22, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
The Messenger said:
No its in the offical IIHF rule book that all players under 18 are required to wear a full shield .. the neck brace thing is his own choice not manditory but designed to protect against cross checks to the back of the net from Dman clearing the crease ..

It's a weird rule thoug... it use to be that everyone had to wear a full faceshield at the WJC...I don't know why they changed it. The neckguard is more for protection against skates and cuts from high sticks than from cross-checks as it's not really padded. I don't understand why they don't all wear full cages and neckguard, it protects them and really doesn't affect their game (you get used to the cage after 1 icetime).... Are mouthguards made mandatory by the IIHF? I could understand why a player wouldn't want to wear a mouthguard as it make brathing harder but they *aperantly* help reduce the risk of concussion.

ErnestoGuevara

Jan 22, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Jacobv2 said:
No, only girly men like Yemelin.

Me like hockey, me real man and don't play with visor or full face mass, me don't care if me lose eye because me can't read anyways. Me will be very popolar with ladies with scars and no teeth. Me real man, drink and drive arive alive and not wear visor and be tough. Me won't die or become blind because real men are tough and never have health problems. Me like concussions, damaged retinas and missing teeth because me not girly man.

:shakehead

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
ErnestoGuevara said:
It's a weird rule thoug... it use to be that everyone had to wear a full faceshield at the WJC...I don't know why they changed it. The neckguard is more for protection against skates and cuts from high sticks than from cross-checks as it's not really padded. I don't understand why they don't all wear full cages and neckguard, it protects them and really doesn't affect their game (you get used to the cage after 1 icetime).... Are mouthguards made mandatory by the IIHF? I could understand why a player wouldn't want to wear a mouthguard as it make brathing harder but they *aperantly* help reduce the risk of concussion.
It does help prevent concussions, which is why generations of boxers have worn mouth-guards. It's every bit as feasible to get a concussion from facial trauma as from cranial trauma, possibly more so. How many boxers have you seen go down after getting tagged to the chin or nose, in comparison with one to the back of the head? I suspect that there may be also be an evolutionary explanation for it, from a mammalian standpoint, but I'm not a paleontologist, so this much is speculative on my part.

Edit: I'm with you about the merit of mandatory facial protection. It's easier to act the tough guy on these boards and advocate things like repealing the instigator rule or mock guys who wear shields, than to advocate measures that seem conservative or effeminate and that actually promote the health of players while they are playing and after their playing careers. Fact is, if you love hockey, than you would have loved to see more of Al MacInnis, Pat Lafontaine, Eric Lindros at his peak, Bryan Berard with binocular vision, and so on, which means that better facial protection correlates with better hockey.

Last edited:

I Hate You All*

ErnestoGuevara said:
Me like hockey, me real man and don't play with visor or full face mass, me don't care if me lose eye because me can't read anyways. Me will be very popolar with ladies with scars and no teeth. Me real man, drink and drive arive alive and not wear visor and be tough. Me won't die or become blind because real men are tough and never have health problems. Me like concussions, damaged retinas and missing teeth because me not girly man.

That's what I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad