Crosby and the World Cup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Crosby and the World Cup

is there any circumstance where, if you were in charge, you'd consider bringing Crosby along as the press box forward to practice with team Canada?

Or bring him to practice with the team, unofficially, off the roster?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
:lol: :joker: :lol:

Maybe if we are talking about the women's World Cup or something. Crosby is not Lindros, and doesn't look like he will be either. There's no way he can play with NHL players at his level of physical development, let alone the best ones in the world.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Epsilon said:
:lol: :joker: :lol:

Maybe if we are talking about the women's World Cup or something. Crosby is not Lindros, and doesn't look like he will be either. There's no way he can play with NHL players at his level of physical development, let alone the best ones in the world.

Clearly he wouldn't show up and play first line, but that's not at all what I was talking about, was it?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ok let me put it this way then: it would be insulting to all of the great Canadian NHL players who could actually contribute to the team to have a spot taken up for a publicity stunt. We arn't talking about some country who can't field a full team of NHL-level players here.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
have a questino here. did lindros play in world cup with NHLers (one in 1991 ish? with messier, and gretzky, etc) before his draft?

to thread starter: crosby is only 16.

Hitman*

Didn't Lindros just play on the national team when he was 16?

But remember, Lindros was 6'4 and 200 odd pounds, Crosby is still a small guy. I highly doubt Canada would take him along (in fact I'll guarantee that).

Seeing time with the national team in various tournaments like Lindros and Spezza did isn't out of the question though.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
Lindros played in the Canada Cup....before I believe he had ever played a game in the NHL, he had however, been drafted...me thinks

Lindros played in the Olympics I thought while he was holding out in 1992.

That wasn't with world class talent. That was with non pros.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hitman said:
Didn't Lindros just play on the national team when he was 16?

But remember, Lindros was 6'4 and 200 odd pounds, Crosby is still a small guy. I highly doubt Canada would take him along (in fact I'll guarantee that).

Seeing time with the national team in various tournaments like Lindros and Spezza did isn't out of the question though.

Lindros played on the permanent Canadian National Team at that age though, which was journeymen non-NHLers for the most part. That's a far cry from being on a team of the best players in Canada. He did play in the Canada Cup or Worlds or Omypics (maybe more than one, don't remember), but only after he was drafted. And as you pointed out, Lindros was an incredible physical specimen who could handle that sort of play.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I don't think the World Cup would be the best place to start him off. I'd say the 2006 Olympics would be a good place. He'd likely be in his rookie season in the NHL and if he was to show that he could play well in the Show-----by all means, take him to the Olympics in Italy.

Avery4Byng*

Is there anyway we can get Crosby directed straight to the Hall Of Fame?

Hitman*

pavel datsyuk said:
Press box no.....but maybe as the bag boy. He could use some muscle anyway...

if not, maybe tickets.

I can see him as more of an usher. Or he could sing the national anthem. Or better yet, the mascot! "Bernie, the Canadian Beaver."

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hitman said:
I can see him as more of an usher. Or he could sing the national anthem. Or better yet, the mascot! "Bernie, the Canadian Beaver."

Maybe he can duet with Gretzky's kid? It would be like American Idot, only crappier.

Hitman*

pavel datsyuk said:
that'll be the next thing....Crosby will marry Gretzky's daughter.

christ....imagine their kids...hockey star say what?

All part of the new Hockey Canada breeding program :p

AEKaki

speeds said:
is there any circumstance where, if you were in charge, you'd consider bringing Crosby along as the press box forward to practice with team Canada?

Or bring him to practice with the team, unofficially, off the roster?

Crosby is not NHL-star-quality yet.
He is awesome.
He is.
But to play for Team Canada?
Come on, you must play in a major league nor a junior league to be ready.

As it looks, Ovechkin will play for Russia as he's practicing with the senior squad.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
did any of you actually read the original post?

What relevance does Crosby's size have given what Speeds is suggesting? Same with age? Yeah Im sure the guys on the team would feel disrespected because the Higher ups in the Canadian Federation are trying to help mold someone who has real potentiel to become a Canadian great, and lead that team one day. He is in no way suggesting that Crosby be on the team in a playing capacity, but is asking if there is anyway that he can possibly be with the team as a learning experience (he even stated officially off of the roster as a possibility). I think the reasoning is that it would be an amazing learning experience for him to soak in stuff from the Canadian greats of today and would only be on the ice practicing with the team. What can it hurt?

This was done in 1996 with Arnott and Daze as the 16-17th forwards who they never had any intention of playing, and ditto for Jovo as the 10th Dmen.

I seriously would not mind if they did this with some guys such as Nash, Jay-Bo (providing neither makes the team) Spezza, Fleurry, Staal, and yes even Sidney Crosby.

shazata69

Does he need to even play ni the NHL? Why not just toss him in the Hall of Fame and don't let the pettiness of a career slow him down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad