Crosby and Ice-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I know things are going great with all 4 lines but he only got 2 shifts in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd and he got an assist.

They played him a lot in the 3rd but thast when the score was out of hand. Crosby is the type where if he gets hot he can really do a lot of damage.

I know i sound like a Crosby Homer, but i kind of wish they had him with some of those big guys on the top 2 lines.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah Tambellini and Crosby were playing PP and Dixon and Colliton were on PK

I dont think they even got a Even Strength shift until the 2nd.

That is also because there were a lot of penalties.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
I know things are going great with all 4 lines but he only got 2 shifts in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd and he got an assist.

They played him a lot in the 3rd but thast when the score was out of hand. Crosby is the type where if he gets hot he can really do a lot of damage.

I know i sound like a Crosby Homer, but i kind of wish they had him with some of those big guys on the top 2 lines.

NEWSFLASH!!!!!

The World U20 programme does NOT exist just to showcase Sidney Crosby!!

He knows it and accepts it - why can't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
gb701 said:
NEWSFLASH!!!!!

He knows it and accepts it - why the ***** can't you?

Hold up there, tiger... no need to roar so loudly, you'll scare the natives. No need to blow your top; there was recognition that all 4 lines are performing well and that nobody will complain when Canada is kicking butt.

The issue raised is that a kid is performing with almost nil icetime, and that such performances should be recognized and rewarded. Durocher isn't relying upon Crosby, and at age 16 i don't blame him. However, if you have an offensive weapon that can produce with such proficiency, it might behoove M. Durocher to mix things up a little allowing the smaller guys on the team (aside from dawes) to play with someone who can create space for them.

I personally don't care, except to say that when you are up big, why not play around and rest some of the guys that have gotten you so far. I think many of the guys on that team would love to play with Crosby, just to see how good he is in a game situation... i know i'd be curious if i had the opportunity. It'd be fun.

The 4th line hasn't played much, so hopefully we'll see them very fresh against the US (presuming they win with a few minutes left) and if the score permits, allow crosby a shot at matching gretz's point total. Other than that...

GO CANADA, GO!!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
gb701 said:
NEWSFLASH!!!!!

Brilliant post, thanks for adding such a significant piece of information to this thread.

The original poster clearly stated that he feels Crosby is a dangerous enough offensive weapon to be used more. He's entitled to that opinion. I don't understand the logic behind ignorant comments like yours, and yet you say it with such sarcasm that you think you deliver some kind of message. You don't.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
gb701 said:
NEWSFLASH!!!!!

I wasnt saying he should play 30 mins a game, but the guy SHOULD be getting more than 10 mins a game.

He is leading the CHL in scoring, and last time i checked all but 1 of his team mates play in the CHL.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
I wasnt saying he should play 30 mins a game, but the guy SHOULD be getting more than 10 mins a game.

He is leading the CHL in scoring, and last time i checked all but 1 of his team mates play in the CHL.

3. Burns, Fleury, and Tambellini, right?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Fair enough, and I may have overreacted, but does Canada really benefit from people in the stands keeping stopwatches on ice time? This is like PeeWee where the dad of the "star" complains about ice time while his kid is learning (and accepting his role). The only difference is that this is now about the fifth different string whining about Crosby's ice time, or role, or linemates. I really think you all need to get over it and understand how the TEAM is succeeding. If you can't, you really don't understand more about the game than the entertainment star hype that sells papers and advertising on TSN (who are outrageous this time round - using Crosby's picture for the U-17 Gold Medal game??? How bad is that - embarrassing the players who actually play on that team!).

This team - team - is way better than predicted, is playing a great game, and should win gold on Monday. The last thing they need to do is start farting around for the 16 year old "phenom" - and he knows it and is not complaining.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:

Would this still hold true ie: "leading the CHL in scoring" if he played in the Dub? Majority of team Canada D come from WHL.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
gb701 said:
Fair enough, and I may have overreacted, but does Canada really benefit from people in the stands keeping stopwatches on ice time? This is like PeeWee where the dad of the "star" complains about ice time while his kid is learning (and accepting his role). The only difference is that this is now about the fifth different string whining about Crosby's ice time, or role, or linemates. I really think you all need to get over it and understand how the TEAM is succeeding. If you can't, you really don't understand more about the game than the entertainment star hype that sells papers and advertising on TSN (who are outrageous this time round - using Crosby's picture for the U-17 Gold Medal game??? How bad is that - embarrassing the players who actually play on that team!).

This team - team - is way better than predicted, is playing a great game, and should win gold on Monday. The last thing they need to do is start farting around for the 16 year old "phenom" - and he knows it and is not complaining.

True, it can just get a bit frustrating when youre so pationate about Canadian Hockey.

I am just wondering what could happen if they gave him a larger role. But you are right, he is playing well in the role he is playing and he is enjoying it.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
QQQ said:
Would this still hold true ie: "leading the CHL in scoring" if he played in the Dub? Majority of team Canada D come from WHL.

As done in previous threads, if you take the ppg of WHL games vs. QMJHL games, Crosby would work out to having around 65 points instead of 76.

Not that much of a difference.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
gb701 said:
If you can't, you really don't understand more about the game than the entertainment star hype that sells papers and advertising on TSN (who are outrageous this time round - using Crosby's picture for the U-17 Gold Medal game??? How bad is that - embarrassing the players who actually play on that team!).
I believe that is because Crosby is under-17 and they don't have any of their own pictures from this year's U-17 Challenge----therefore it works. Otherwise if they had to borrow a picture they'd have to site it.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
As done in previous threads, if you take the ppg of WHL games vs. QMJHL games, Crosby would work out to having around 65 points instead of 76.

Thanks.
Couldn't find the previous threads mentioning this and also don't intend to re-invent the wheel. My calculations worked out to 61.56. But still would show him as doing very well.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
La-La-Laprise said:

That's a bit of a crude way of doing it though. The Dub is a tougher league physically, and harder for younger, less physically mature players to dominate than the Q is.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Epsilon said:
That's a bit of a crude way of doing it though. The Dub is a tougher league physically, and harder for younger, less physically mature players to dominate than the Q is.

Have you seen Crosby's strength and board work during the last 5 games? He is one of the stronger players on the puck on Team Canada.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
GOTEAM said:
I believe that is because Crosby is under-17 and they don't have any of their own pictures from this year's U-17 Challenge----therefore it works. Otherwise if they had to borrow a picture they'd have to site it.

If TSN can't find/arrange a picture of someone or several someones representing the various teams in the U-17, there is something seriously wrong. There are lots of great prospects playing there who deserve some recognition. There is absolutely no excuse for using Crosby's picture.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Have you seen Crosby's strength and board work during the last 5 games? He is one of the stronger players on the puck on Team Canada.

You are right on this one. I am in the West but still find this "the Dub is tougher" stuff hard to take. Crosby would be a leader wherever he played.

BCCHL inactive

gb701 said:
You are right on this one. I am in the West but still find this "the Dub is tougher" stuff hard to take. Crosby would be a leader wherever he played.

I don't think anybody is arguing that Crosby wouldn't be a leader in the WHL. What people are saying, is that he wouldn't be scoring at such a large pace....many think he would be around the same scoring pace as Gilbert Brulé.

The defence in the WHL is a lot better than that of the QMJHL. That is shown by 6 of the 7 Team Canada defencemen being from the WHL.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
I don't think anybody is arguing that Crosby wouldn't be a leader in the WHL. What people are saying, is that he wouldn't be scoring at such a large pace....many think he would be around the same scoring pace as Gilbert Brulé.

The defence in the WHL is a lot better than that of the QMJHL. That is shown by 6 of the 7 Team Canada defencemen being from the WHL.

All I am saying is that I think the comparison is meaningless - his point production would depend on which team, which linemates, etc. I agree there is a style of play difference between the two leagues that is obvious, but the stats on total goal production support the Crosby boosters more than they do the ones who think his production would fall way off. In fact, he is scoring at a faster pace than Brule during the Worlds - playing against defenses that are much stronger than, say, the Regina Pats. And, he is doing it in a checking role with very limited ice time. I have to go with the boosters on this one - he would be tearing up the WHL if he went to one of the teams with an offensive style and was given the opportunity. And, having seen both players quite a bit - there is no question that his production would exceed Brule by more than a small amount - I have challenged the hype that puts Crosby in the NHL already, but there is no question who is the better player right now.

As to the 6 of the 7 defencemen being from the W, that just means that our "cream" rose to the top this year - I wouldn't extend that to a generalization that includes - the Pats, the Cougars, the Blades, etc.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
It's not just the defenses in the Dub being tighter, it's almost generally recognized that the WHL is the most physical of the CHL leagues and arguably the most physical of all developmental leagues. The style of play can take a toll on younger, smaller players.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
How do you explain Crosby dominating at Canada Games against teams from out west?

He left Brule in his dust.

Dont tell me Crosby would be only at Brule's level this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->