Crosby’s 21 point in 12 game playoff

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
How does this compare to great playoff runs back in the old days. Like Howe and Richard... when there was only two round?s

21 points in 12 games 1.75 ppg
Leading scorer at time of elimination

Reactions: authentic

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
9 of these points were acquired during 3 games that could be classified as blowouts against a spectacular tin can, and another 3 were acquired in a 8-5 win.

So I don't care much for it myself.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I can't remember and I'm too lazy to Google it, but it did seem more like Guentzel was driving the boat up until he got hurt in some way, that again, I do not remember and will not search.

Reactions: Vanzig

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I can't remember and I'm too lazy to Google it, but it did seem more like Guentzel was driving the boat up until he got hurt in some way, that again, I do not remember and will not search.
You clearly did not watch the pens that run

Reactions: Sentinel

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Feel like comparing round 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 production to the 2 round era would be a better comparable ?

Goals often goes down after the first round.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Didn't watch any of his playoff games since the 2008 and 2009 cup runs but last year he had an impressive stat like that's for sure.

21 in 12 is Gretzky/Lemieux territory, too bad they didn't make another run to the final to give him a chance to crack 40 for a first time.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Is this really that historical? It happened last spring.

He was very good, but the Flyers were veritably atrocious defensively and in terms of goaltending in that first round series as well. It's not surprising that they're terrible in goals against so far this season.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Perhaps I phrased it in a way that was too dismissive of Crosby, but up until the last 2 games, yeah, Guentzel was the man. (And perhaps he vanished of his own accord, and was healthy). Given how Round 1 ended, and the timeliness of his goals, I stand by saying good things about Guentzel.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Is this really that historical? It happened last spring.

He was very good, but the Flyers were veritably atrocious defensively and in terms of goaltending in that first round series as well. It's not surprising that they're terrible in goals against so far this season.
I'm sure plenty of similar runs by players played against sub-par teams.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Crosby carried the mail, Guentzel was the recipient. They work well together because Jake is a hockey sponge and steals so much from so many players on that team, great student of the game...and he has the talent to make something of it from the attack line and in...but if not for Crosby, he is a nobody or a semi-nobody at best...

Reactions: seventieslord

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Doug Gilmour put up 16 points in 7 games against the Sharks in the second round of the 94 playoffs (24 in 13 through the first two rounds, 1.84 PPG). Then had 4 points in 5 games and was –4 in the next round against a stronger opponent (held off the scoresheet entirely in 3 out of 5 games).

My point is not that Gilmour was a type player who beat up on suspect opponents (apparently he was injured against Van too, according to one poster here), but that one playoff round doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. It's a single (potentially lopsided) battle.

Everytime Pens have won the Cup with Crosby he's been outscored by someone (someone on his own team, that is).

Reactions: quoipourquoi

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Barry Pedersons two playoffs between 1981 and 1983 were insane.

50 points in 28 games

That tumor they found in his shoulder cost him a Hall of Fame career.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What a career by this player so far............sometimes I think his playoffs can even get underrated at times. 185 career points. Other than the 5 big Oilers only Jagr, Sakic, Gilmour and Brett Hull have more points in the postseason and by the end of this year's playoffs you probably only have 4 of the Oilers (minus Coffey) that have more than him all-time. That's impressive.

13 points in 6 games vs. Flyers
8 points in 6 games vs. Caps

Get past Washington (they had a 3rd period lead in game 5) and basically your biggest task is Tampa. Do that and I see Pittsburgh beating Vegas just like Washington did. So in conclusion, he was on his way to a 3rd straight Conn Smythe. No other Penguin other than Guentzel was close in production and if you thought it would be him that won the Smythe and not Crosby you probably should re-think that.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Doug Gilmour put up 16 points in 7 games against the Sharks in the second round of the 94 playoffs (24 in 13 through the first two rounds, 1.84 PPG). Then had 4 points in 5 games and was –4 in the next round against a stronger opponent (held off the scoresheet entirely in 3 out of 5 games).

My point is not that Gilmour was a type player who beat up on suspect opponents (apparently he was injured against Van too, according to one poster here), but that one playoff round doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. It's a single (potentially lopsided) battle.

Everytime Pens have won the Cup with Crosby he's been outscored by someone (someone on his own team, that is).

I think I'm the poster you're referring to, and it is a bit off topic for this thread, but yes, Gilmour was injured:

THE NHL / HELENE ELLIOTT : Gilmour: Weak Ankle, Strong Heart

He was actually playing hurt in the San Jose series as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->