2 42 Michael Ratchuk Defense

2 55 Denis Bodrov Defense

3 79 Jonathan Matsumoto Center

4 101 Joonas Lehtivuori Defense

4 109 Jakob Kovar Goalie

5 145 Jonathan Rheault Right Wing

6 175 Michael Dupont Goalie

7 205 Andrei Popov Right Wing

I think that all 3 of our 2nd round selections were surprises in that the players were taken as early as they were. Most would say Andrei Popov is easily the biggest steal that we selected. It was a very interesting draft for the Flyers in that they selected a Canadian, Austrian, American, Russian, Canadian/Japanese, Fin, Czech, American, Czech, and then another Russian.

All in all a very strange draft for the Flyers and one for the "New" NHL. A lot of small players with really good speed and talent. What are your thoughts?

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
it's a little early after just one day..

but i will say i liked the giroux selection and was hoping he'd slip through to #32 for the pens. i was surprised to see the flyers be the team to draft him, but in today's NHL with little guys like marc savard and brian gionta at the top of the scoresheet, size isn't that big of a deal if the player can skate and has great skill. i think giroux has both.

philly usually drafts well, so we'll see, i guess. taking popov in the 7th could be a real steal, if they sign him in time. i'm surprised he fell so far.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Worst draft for 2006 IMO. Everyone is a reach- except Ratchuk, their best pick. Popov will likely never come over although he's a decent throwaway pick in the 7th.
Detriot and Washington also did poorly from my perspective.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
steblick said:
Worst draft for 2006 IMO. Everyone is a reach- except Ratchuk, their best pick. Popov will likely never come over although he's a decent throwaway pick in the 7th.

That's pretty harsh. The posters that know Russian prospects think that Popov fell WAY too far, and Giroux was the leading rookie scorer in the QMJHL. Ratchuk is a solid pick, too.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
I love the Giroux pick, but the three seconds have me scratching my head. Nodl is interesting, Bodrov has me completely mystified. Seems Clarke is trying a more high risk boom or bust strategy than he generally uses.

TornACL

Dec 28, 2005
I was very disappointed that the Habs didn't draft the QMJHL leading rookie scorer Claude Giroux. I was also quite suprised that the Flyers picked him, because they usually like bigger players. However, I think he can fit very well to the "New NHL" and, as a Montreal Canadiens fan, I hope he doesn't turn into another Simon Gagné :sarcasm:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
TornACL said:
I was very disappointed that the Habs didn't draft the QMJHL leading rookie scorer Claude Giroux. I was also quite suprised that the Flyers picked him, because they usually like bigger players. However, I think he can fit very well to the "New NHL" and, as a Montreal Canadiens fan, I hope he doesn't turn into another Simon Gagné :sarcasm:
We have plenty of great wingers on our system my friend, dont feel bad if Giroux becomes a great player, Habs have bigger needs at Defense and center position.

VladNYC*

steblick said:
Worst draft for 2006 IMO.

Popov will likely never come over although he's a decent throwaway pick in the 7th.

Washington also did poorly from my perspective.

:loony:

You have gone off the deep end.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
mercury said:
That's pretty harsh. The posters that know Russian prospects think that Popov fell WAY too far, and Giroux was the leading rookie scorer in the QMJHL. Ratchuk is a solid pick, too.
I know Russian prospects pretty well- although a few posters like Belaschenko know them better. I was never a Popov fan for his on ice character and work habits anyway (I wouldn't have picked him at all- which matches what many other teams were apparently thinking too) but I also have good reason to believe that he will stay in Russia- he has expressed little interest in coming over and seems to be statisfied with with lot in the Russian system. So be it.

Ratchuk IS an excellent pick.

Giroux... good points: came out of nowhere, big potential upside (by far is biggest asset). Very good vision and hands.
bad points: size, not an elite skater, never once made me say "wow"- doesn't really control the game... much more of a sneaky smart type, might have trouble when other teams see him as the man in Gatineau next year.
Not a bad pick but a reach for an early 20's pick.

starbuck97

Mar 21, 2005
Also on Bodrov. The guy is a bit older than other drafted players. It just seems likely that Clarke would already have a deal with him to come over. I say that because Clarke hasnt had too much luck bringing Russian players over and he wouldnt waste a 2nd round pick unless he was sure he was coming over.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
starbuck97 said:
Also on Bodrov. The guy is a bit older than other drafted players. It just seems likely that Clarke would already have a deal with him to come over. I say that because Clarke hasnt had too much luck bringing Russian players over and he wouldnt waste a 2nd round pick unless he was sure he was coming over.
In an interview with Paul Holmgren I believe after the draft, he talked about wanting to bring Bodrov over very soon (maybe this year). It would be interesting to see him play a year with the Phantoms. I'll see if I can find the link.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
steblick said:

I was never a Popov fan for his on ice character and work habits anyway (I wouldn't have picked him at all- which matches what many other teams were apparently thinking too) but I also have good reason to believe that he will stay in Russia- he has expressed little interest in coming over and seems to be statisfied with with lot in the Russian system. So be it.
Wow, just wow. Being a fan of your posts, this badly requires explanations!

I was never a Popov fan for his on ice character and work habits anyway (I wouldn't have picked him at all- which matches what many other teams were apparently thinking too)
As for on ice character, i didn't see anything so wrong the couple of times i watched him play.
Work habits? Has he a conceded and defined reputation of a NOT worker in Russia?
Now, let's suppose both are the cases (on ice poor character and bad work habits), does that make a first round talent (at least that's what he looks in my eyes) not even worth of a lower pick, especially in a weak draft??
And for lower pick i mean a midround pick, let alone a seventh round one.. i mean, he is not even 18, how much people can change from what they are at 18..

but I also have good reason to believe that he will stay in Russia- he has expressed little interest in coming over and seems to be statisfied with with lot in the Russian system. So be it.
Meeeeh.. the poor guy is born on 15/7/88, but he already knows he will never go to North America!??
Btw, whoever said/reported that? (which are the good reasons to believe he will stay in Russia?)
And again, he is 17.. i guess he could easily change his mind, don't you think? Does he even have an agent already?

Obviously there are good chances Popov will be a bust, however his big fall seems to me on par with some of the most glaring omissions by NHL teams in past drafts..
I don't get the strategy of drafting guys with good chances to reach their 4th line potential ahead of guys with limited chances to exploit their first line potential. :shakehead

Washington? Personally i like their first round picks. Since you dislike their draft overall, are you criticizing their first round picks as well?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I said that Popov was a decent throwaway pick (meaning- why not for a 7th rounder, since he does have a lot of raw skill and, as you say, circumstances and people change). But he was obviously not taken by other clubs for a reason. As for his work ethic- it has been widely criticized. I'm hardly alone on that one. I also am aware that he has shown little interest in coming over to N.A. and that there are other "home" issues at play too. So, do you know something that contradicts this? I doubt you'll see a CHL team take him in the import draft. Why?

Since he has skill (we agree), if he also has a good work ethic, as you seem to think, and if there is a good chance that he'll play in N.A. why did he not go before pick #205? Come on- there must be SOME reason. Well, I'm telling you what that reason is.

I saw him play in Sweden and Czech. How about you?

As for Wash and Detriot- Washington's 1st pick was a no-brainer but I don't think they got "pick value" at all after that. Detriot didn't have a 1st round pick. They do have a good track record of finding late round gems but I can't say I was impressed with their choices this year at all.

The latter is my personal opinion- but a reasonably well-informed one.

Last edited:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
First of all, thanks for caring and for your reply Steblick.

steblick said:
I said that Popov was a decent throwaway pick (meaning- why not for a 7th rounder, since he does have a lot of raw skill and, as you say, circumstances and people change). But he was obviously not taken by other clubs for a reason. As for his work ethic- it has been widely criticized. I'm hardly alone on that one. I also am aware that he has shown little interest in coming over to N.A. and that there are other "home" issues at play too. So, do you know something that contradicts this?
Absolutely not. I'm just saying that imo these matters should not be enough to make him a 7th round pick in a weak draft. And i was trying to realize how well based those concerns were.

I doubt you'll see a CHL team take him in the import draft. Why?
It's just a seventeen years old from Russia. How should he be interested to come to Canada to play in juniors when he can do the same in Russia? Or better, what's wrong with that? And how the fact he is not interested to cross the ocean now, at 17, make him a player not interested to come to North America to play in the NHL at, say, 22?

Since he has skill (we agree), if he also has a good work ethic, as you seem to think..
No, no, i don't have a clue about his work ethic (at least not before reading from you). I just know that people can change from what they are at 17.

and if there is a good chance that he'll play in N.A. why did he not go before pick #205? Come on- there must be SOME reason. Well, I'm telling you what that reason is.
And thank you for that. Personally i disagree with this NHl teams' approach.. like i said above:
I don't get the strategy of drafting guys with good chances to reach their 4th line potential ahead of guys with limited chances to exploit their first line potential.

I saw him play in Sweden and Czech. How about you?
As i said above, i watched him a couple of times (U18 WJC).

The latter is my personal opinion- but a reasonably well-informed one.
I know yours are informed opinions and i like the fact that are both personal and informed; that's why i find them interesting ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->