Critique New Jerseys Selection

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
30 N.J
(from CAR) MATTHEW CORRENTE 3/17/1988 Mississauga, ON CA 5' 11" 189 OHL SAGINAW D R

58 N.J
ALEXANDER VASYUNOV 4/22/1988 Yaroslavl, Rus. RU 6' 0" 189 RPL YAROSLAVL 2 LW R

67 N.J
(from WSH) KIRILL TULUPOV 4/23/1988 Moscow, Rus. RU 6' 3" 220 RUS ALEMETJEVSK D R

77 N.J
(from VAN) VLADIMIR ZHARKOV 1/10/1988 Elektrostal, Rus. RU 6' 0" 187 RPL CSKA 2 RW L

107 N.J
(from VAN) T.J. MILLER 9/15/1986 Placetia, CA US 6' 4" 200 BCHL PENTICTON D L

148 N.J
OLIVIER MAGNAN 5/1/1986 Sherbrooke, QC CA 6' 2" 190 QMJHL ROUYN NORANDA D L

178 N.J
TONY ROMANO 1/5/1988 Smithtown, NY US 5' 10" 170 AJHL NY BOBCATS C R

208 N.J
KYLE HENEGAN 10/27/1987 Montreal, QC CA 6' 4" 204 QMJHL SHAWINIGAN D L

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
your fan will love Kyle Henegan , he will be the top heavy weight in the Q next year

this years he don't lose many fight even if he have 17 years old

plus he can play hockey !! and he is a nice guy

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
gars59 said:
your fan will love Kyle Henegan , he will be the top heavy weight in the Q next year

this years he don't lose many fight even if he have 17 years old

plus he can play hockey !! and he is a nice guy

Thank you for the Update.

Can you tell us a little more about his game?

Do you believe he can become an NHL player?

VladNYC*

You guys prob got one of the best drafts this year out of any team. 3 REALLY good russians and Romano is a beast. Congrads. NJ has always been open minded with picking russians. This draft will def pay off.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
King Henry I said:
Corrente seems like an idiot to me (his idol is John Gotti, which pretty much tells you what you need to know.)

Still, I'm not going to tell Lou he's wrong. He's probably a little bit better at this than I am.

Maybe Lou drafted him because his idol is John Gotti... ;)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
VladNYC said:
You guys prob got one of the best drafts this year out of any team. 3 REALLY good russians and Romano is a beast. Congrads. NJ has always been open minded with picking russians. This draft will def pay off.

What do you know about Romano?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
King Henry I said:
Corrente seems like an idiot to me (his idol is John Gotti, which pretty much tells you what you need to know.).

And so did most of Queens, NY. However, I agree it wasn't the best quote to come up with. But, let's remember he's still a kid and probably still a bit immature.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not a fan of Corrente at all, but the rest of the draft is amazingly solid.

The 3 Russian picks in a row were all great picks and great value at any place in the draft. Vasyunov could've been a 1st rounder and probably should've. I think Zharkov was rated to be a first rounder for a while, also.

Romano is going to be awesome. What a steal...

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
VladNYC said:

I hope you're right, because we really haven't had much success with Russian prospects. Let's hope this draft changes that situation.

Jaysfanatic*

Brooklyndevil said:
I hope you're right, because we really haven't had much success with Russian prospects. Let's hope this draft changes that situation.

It's been 50-50 with Russian prospects

Kasatonov
Fetisov
Zelepukin
Brylin

all were hits (I know Kasa and Feti aren't traditional picks but they worked well when they were here)

Sharifijonov
Kadeykin
Suglobov
Mikhailishin (who still has lots of time)

haven't worked out so well, but Sharifijonov did get us the pick from Vancouver that became Paul Martin.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lou is God said:
That surprises me, don't you think he reminds you of a Kasparitius type of player?

I just look for picks with more upside in the 1st round is all.

He should be a solid #4 or so, but I don't see him comming anywhere close to a top pairing d-man.

I'm pretty sure he'll be a solid NHLer, though. Fairly safe but unspectacular pick.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Devilsfanatic said:
It's been 50-50 with Russian prospects

Kasatonov
Fetisov
Zelepukin
Brylin

all were hits (I know Kasa and Feti aren't traditional picks but they worked well when they were here)

Sharifijonov
Kadeykin
Suglobov
Mikhailishin (who still has lots of time)

haven't worked out so well, but Sharifijonov did get us the pick from Vancouver that became Paul Martin.

Sorry, I should have stated recently.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Jon Prescription said:
I just look for picks with more upside in the 1st round is all.

He should be a solid #4 or so, but I don't see him comming anywhere close to a top pairing d-man.

I'm pretty sure he'll be a solid NHLer, though. Fairly safe but unspectacular pick.
Fair enough.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lou is God said:
Fair enough.

His real question mark is his very spotty positioning. That really needs to be corrected soon, because it's something that is mental and might not be able to be fixed at a higher level. He's drawn comparisons to a poor man's Jovonovski, and that might not be far off at all. I know Jovo can be absolutely dreadful with his defensive positioning at times.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
His real question mark is his very spotty positioning. That really needs to be corrected soon, because it's something that is mental and might not be able to be fixed at a higher level. He's drawn comparisons to a poor man's Jovonovski, and that might not be far off at all. I know Jovo can be absolutely dreadful with his defensive positioning at times.

:dunno:

Matthew Corrente
Saginaw • OHL
5’ 11â€, 189 lbs. Defense, shoots right
Born: March 17, 1988 in Mississauga, Ontario
Final Ranking: 35 • Mid-Term Ranking: 29 • North American Skater

Central Scouting Report: Is a very good skater with superior mobility,
a smooth stride, and exceptional lateral movement ... a very good
backward skater who has good balance and agility ...makes good
outlet passes to initiate breakouts ... has a variety of shots that he
gets away quickly from the point, including an accurate wrist shot ...
has deceptive speed in the open ice, is strong on his feet when fighting
for puck along the boards and in the corners and finds the open
man with crisp accurate passes ...is willing to stand up and makes the
play at the blueline and is seldom caught out of position

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Jon Prescription said:
Yeah I gotta agree with the scouting report Jim gave, I have never seen the kid play but everything I have read on him suggests this is actually a strength of his, not a weakness.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
With a scouting report like that, you have to ask yourself or myself why he wasn't rated higher by others besides the Devils. I mean did he interview badly? Does he have a bad attitude? Size? Although quite a few smaller defensemen where drafted this year. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->