Post-Game Talk: Crisis on Infinite Quads Game 1: Oilers Win!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If we can get at least 3 points out of this road trip coming up we'll be looking very good.

I'd extend that out to 4 games with them playing Boston after that. If they can get 4 out of 8 points in this stretch, that'll be big. Anything more than that and they are approaching "The Oilers would really have to f*** this up to miss the playoffs" territory.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
1st line played like a real first line. Cave quietly had an almost perfect game and just played safe solid hockey. Kass looked engaged and Sheehan n Archie are looking to be great pickups this year.

Not impressed by Drai and nuge on the pk. We are going to need them as this stretch gets tougher. Mike smith was good but he doesn’t give me that confident feeling but I’m learning to adjust to his more erratic style.

Overall kinda what we need to pull off some wins. One good line, support from any of the three other lines, and somewhat solid d and goaltending.

Tippet doing the same misstake once again, playing his stars uneccesary much, lke uneccesary on the PK.
Save at least Draisaitl from that.

And the question about Draisaitl is, who can stop him from winning Art Ross? The only two I can think of is MacKinnon and Panarin.
^What guys think in here?

Draisatis pace can also motivate McDavid to enter god mode to surpass him.

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
I was watching the game on a stream this morning. My 10-year-old daughter came in and looked at the screen. She knows that "EDM" stands for Edmonton, but when she saw "CHI", she asked me: "Daddy, is your team playing against China today?"

Made me cringe.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Tippet doing the same misstake once again, playing his stars uneccesary much, lke uneccesary on the PK.
Save at least Draisaitl from that.

And the question about Draisaitl is, who can stop him from winning Art Ross? The only two I can think of is MacKinnon and Panarin.
^What guys think in here?

Draisatis pace can also motivate McDavid to enter god mode to surpass him.

Pasta is slowing down, as always seems to happen with him. I think Drai will even catch him in goals (but not OV) Panarin and the Rangers are coming down to earth. They're not padding stats as much. I think I've seen Mackinnon slow down in seasons before. In anycase Drai is 11pts ahead of the nearest competitor. Seems like its his to lose. A guy could get redhot for two weeks just to challenge Drais total if Leon was standing still.

Drai superheated last season towards the end and looks like he's been on fire since Xmas. His splits are way higher than anybody else in 2020. Nobody even close.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Pasta is slowing down, as always seems to happen with him. I think Drai will even catch him in goals (but not OV) Panarin and the Rangers are coming down to earth. They're not padding stats as much. I think I've seen Mackinnon slow down in seasons before. In anycase Drai is 11pts ahead of the nearest competitor. Seems like its his to lose. A guy could get redhot for two weeks just to challenge Drais total if Leon was standing still.

Drai superheated last season towards the end and looks like he's been on fire since Xmas. His splits are way higher than anybody else in 2020. Nobody even close.

I think this season will be hard to "superheat" towards the end...
You could see in December what a few has said at the start of the season when Drai was almost playing 24 mins a game that he was probably gased...and now with McD out for maybe 8 games or so you could see the same...
That said I think he will get his Art Ross but it really could be close with MacK.
But Drai has always surprised me...so I will watch him and he will maybe surprise me one more time.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Had a few co-workers comment about the Oilers "lucky" win today. I responded that if by lucky you mean that the Oilers are lucky to have the second best player in the world step into the breach once the best player goes down to injury, you're right.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I'm hoping this is "Good Under Pressure" Mike Smith that we are starting to see... and that carries right into the playoffs.

Career stats for Smith...

Oct 90.7%
Nov 91.5%
Dec 90.1%
Jan 90.6%
Feb 92.0%
Mar 91.5%
Apr 92.9%
Playoffs 93.8%

I hope the trend of Smith getting stronger as games get more important continues.
Wow, those numbers are actually pretty impressive.

Reactions: ujju2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Was listening to the game on ched while driving. For the last half of the 3rd I was driving big rig over Crowsnest Pass in freezing rain, that turned into white out snow fall being blown around by gusts of wind blowing up to and over 120km/h, all while listening to the game where for a while it sounded like the Oilers were hanging on for dear life to a 1 goal lead.

My heart felt like it was going to explode while desperately trying to keep the truck from getting blown off the highway. It's almost 8am and I'm still half shaking from the stress of it all last night

Glad you're OK man. I'm familiar with the area cause that's where my family's from.

Reactions: yukoner88

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This morning I watched the Oilers feed of the game and right now I am watching it again with the Hawks feed.

It's always funny when any announcers struggle with the opposing teams players. Two things in this regards that made me chuckle, were when the hawks play-by-play guy referred to Gaetan Haas as "that Oilers forward" when he almost cashed in on a rebound, and very early on he called Cave Nick instead of Colby.

I was a bit disappointed that they did not show a replay of or in any way mention that backhand pass from Drai to Yamamoto.

There have been several times where I have actually preferred the other team's broadcast over the Oilers, but overall in this case I thought the Oilers on was better.

As for the game:
If Klefbom was questionable before the game, maybe he was playing hurt. Or he just had a really bad game. Good thing others stepped up.

I don't think I have to add anything to the heap of praise top line has been getting and instead I just want to say that I would love to add 1 good and 1 competent winger for McD so we can keep that Sheahan line together as a 3rd line. They played very well together, not just on their first shift, but pretty much the whole game.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
9V2aAHG.jpg

Your going to score, more goals than me , tonight.... great joke Yams..

BiXe60H.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Llamamoto49

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Mike Smith isn't getting enough credit for last night's game... he was pretty much the only reason the Oilers kept it together in the 3rd... being outshot 18-5 in the 3rd and overall outshot 41-31 in the game.

He made several point blank saves and some quality stops from a Blackhawks team that got plenty of good chances and who were desperate for a win.

He should definitely have been one of the 3 stars imo... not that the 1st line didn't all deserve kudos as well.

I guess you could say it was a Quad star night:)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I listened to a podcast of Toronto based hockey media the other day and they said the Oilers were a “one man team with the same lineup as last year”. SMH.

Shows you how little they know about the Oilers, which is literally nothing and on par with what I’d expect from Toronto based media who does nothing but pander to Leaf fans.
It’s not just the Oilers they know nothing about or even the rest of the Canadian teams. They can’t even get much right about the team they follow religiously. The hockey media in this country is terrible across the board. I honestly wonder if they even watch the games and that includes the ones they’re at. My guess is more time is spent on social media than looking at the subject they report on. Much easier parroting the popular opinion over and over instead of looking into what’s actually going on. Sign of the times, I guess.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->