Post-Game Talk: Crisis on Infinite Quads Game 1: Oilers Win!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was listening to the game on ched while driving. For the last half of the 3rd I was driving big rig over Crowsnest Pass in freezing rain, that turned into white out snow fall being blown around by gusts of wind blowing up to and over 120km/h, all while listening to the game where for a while it sounded like the Oilers were hanging on for dear life to a 1 goal lead.

My heart felt like it was going to explode while desperately trying to keep the truck from getting blown off the highway. It's almost 8am and I'm still half shaking from the stress of it all last night

It seems like half your posts are about your crazy adventures on the road while listening to Oilers games, lol.

Reactions: nally and yukoner88

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I just wrote a pretty long post about politics and the current state of the Canadian economy. And then I deleted it.

Because this thread should really remain about the Oilers' win.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Lol... Draisaitl gets second star. That's just like game management. Draisaitl is getting too many first stars so they're giving them to others instead.

It was hilarious. Drai played one of the best games of his life, was driving everything happening on that line, setup each of his linemates half a dozen times for great scoring chances, and Kailor gets the first star. I hope people here at least realize what kind of game Drai had.

He was doing everything. In one shift he intercepted the opponents pass across twice.

WTF was with Klefbom in this game? Was he drunk? I thought he was trying to will the Hawks back in the game. Drai plays a beast game in the absence of McD and Klef responds with egregious errors. Responsible for so many of the Hawks best chances and some GA.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It was hilarious. Drai played one of the best games of his life, was driving everything happening on that line, setup each of his linemates half a dozen times for great scoring chances, and Kailor gets the first star. I hope people here at least realize what kind of game Drai had.

He was doing everything. In one shift he intercepted the opponents pass across twice.

WTF was with Klefbom in this game? Was he drunk? I thought he was trying to will the Hawks back in the game. Drai plays a beast game in the absence of McD and Klef responds with egregious errors. Responsible for so many of the Hawks best chances and some GA.

I have been keeping a bit of a lower profile on Klefbom because he is one of those "do not speak bad of him players" but....he eats a lot of minutes but is he really needed on the PP? Last night was one of the first times in a very long time where he took an actual shot on the PP. I think we would be much more effective with Bear on that unit(that is already #1 in the league), honestly all the dman adds to that group right now is a pass to either McD or Drai. I cannot wait until Bouchard is ready, our PP will go supernova once he is here.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Neon Leon is here.

Is everyone ok now? Can we all take a step back from the ledge?
ftr I wasn't on the ledge. Drai has been leading this club this season anyhow. But this here type game is unsustainable. Drai and Nuge both ate 24mins in a regulation time game. Both ate considerable pk minutes while doing it. Both were out in so many dig down situations preserving the W and getting the W in the first place. It was all one line last night basically. The Sheahan line got some done in first period but faded badly.

We're talking one line playing nearly half the game and Drai having to walk on water in one of his best performances just to eke out a W on home ice against a non playoff opponent. This game should scare people as much as anything. Without every bit of the toplines heroism led by Drai we're not even in this game.

Defensively the performance was pathetic. Klefbom leading the charge in patented stupidity and unforced errors. We don't have anything even resembling a top pairing right now or playing like it. Hawks had several of their goals and scoring chances on odd man rushes. We allowed that multiple times with people like Kane and Toews on the ice. We allowed that because of D like Klefbom cheating forward in ill advised decisions.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We are starting to develop good talent. Out defense is starting to finally get depth that said let's not kid ourselves without McD we likely would be slugging it out with LA for drafting position and broken the record for longest continuous playoff drought at this point. (instead of tying FLA)

I think EDM isn't as bad as some have thought. This season has shown that and if Holland's manages this right this whole situation is incredibly salvageable to make this team into a real contender (given the right moves and that some prospects like Bouchard turn out) but McD did save this franchise from the depths of despair and if he isn't back soon and able to play we are missing the playoffs. (though of course what matters is that he is better than worrying about just this season)

The Sportsnet guy (Tim or Sid? The relatively less annoying one anyway) said that again today/yesterday, yapping about the McDavid injury. He said the Oilers were known as a "one-line team". My question would be: Which line is he referring to?

Drai-Yama-RNH, in the past 15 games, have a combined 63 points and a combined +29.

McDavid, McDavid, McDavid, though!! Because SportsNet!!

If we can get at least 3 points out of this road trip coming up we'll be looking very good.

First off. While I like Tim & Sid they are still Eastern Media and will always have a few Toronto/eastern centric ideas that will colour their commentary. They are much better than most tho, typically entertaining and surprisingly knowledgeable.

I caught the show yesterday and Donnovan had replaced Sid due to sickness. Donnovan is more the typical Eastern Media type. Watches primarily Eastern centric sports aka Toronto and is clueless about things further from the center of his universe. Donnovan really brings the show down a lot imo. I think he is supposed to be the strong opinionated opposite, like Sid, to Tims more level headedness. But he just comes off clueless and annoying.

Point in case Donnovan has no clue how good Draisaitl is. Doesn't think he is a top ten player. Doesn't think he is anything away from McDavid. Doesn't think Draisaitl will be able to do anything with McDavid out of the line up. Tim obviously thought Draisaitl a top 5 player at least and was arguing with Don and saying he has been great away from McDavid and every time Tim said anything positive Don just kept saying "we will see", over and over very pompously.

I hope the guy gets shredded a bit. Really needs to be taken down a notch or two. A four points night and an Oilers win should at least be a nice slice of humble pie.

As for how the Oilers will do during McDavid's injury I certainly hope we can do much better than 3 points in the next road trip.

Only a one game sample size in this case but in today's NHL individual players certainly seem to be far less impactful to winning than they used to. Even the worst nhl level players can get the job done in a good system. Just with a lot less flash/entertainment.

McDavid is the best player in the world and for one game anyways his absence was not even remotely noticeable. Chicago is not a great team but came in playing very well the last while and had previously beat the Oilers twice this year.

The Oilers didn't even play a defensively sound game and managed to just out score them in a solid win.

I don't expect the Oilers to thrive while McDavid is away but I also don't expect them to suck. Any team can beat any team in today's NHL no matter who is in or out of the line up. If the Oilers play hard and smart they will give themselves a good chance to win every game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I'm tired of "Connor McDavid", "Connor McDavid", "Connor McDavid" being in every sentence from the Sportsnet broadcasters.

Let's talk about other players and maybe only mention "Connor McDavid" 5 times during a broadcast instead of 97 times?

Dude wasn't even playing and I think I heard his name more than the guys on the ice.

Starts with the broadcast saying the Oilers missing their top player. Drai is starting to turn that into a fiction. He leads the NHL scoring race by 10pts and its like he's chopped chicken liver.

Is it some kind of difficult thing to start to acknowledge we have 1A, 1B superstars on this team. I think its a laziness that just thinks in Michael Jordan terms that you can't have more than one superstar on the same club. The Oilers do.

Its one thing for the rest of the league to not recognize it, but for the Oilers own org..

Then theres Remenda acknowledging (finally) what an overpay he said Draisaitl was. If only we could get Tychkowski coming clean on what an overpay Drai is.

Theres so many people around the org that have some major Drai crow to be eating. A lot of posters here too.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
First off. While I like Tim & Sid they are still Eastern Media and will always have a few Toronto/eastern centric ideas that will colour their commentary. They are much better than most tho, typically entertaining and surprisingly knowledgeable.

I caught the show yesterday and Donnovan had replaced Sid due to sickness. Donnovan is more the typical Eastern Media type. Watches primarily Eastern centric sports aka Toronto and is clueless about things further from the center of his universe. Donnovan really brings the show down a lot imo. I think he is supposed to be the strong opinionated opposite, like Sid, to Tims more level headedness. But he just comes off clueless and annoying.

Point in case Donnovan has no clue how good Draisaitl is. Doesn't think he is a top ten player. Doesn't think he is anything away from McDavid. Doesn't think Draisaitl will be able to do anything with McDavid out of the line up. Tim obviously thought Draisaitl a top 5 player at least and was arguing with Don and saying he has been great away from McDavid and every time Tim said anything positive Don just kept saying "we will see", over and over very pompously.

I hope the guy gets shredded a bit. Really needs to be taken down a notch or two. A four points night and an Oilers win should at least be a nice slice of humble pie.

As for how the Oilers will do during McDavid's injury I certainly hope we can do much better than 3 points in the next road trip.

Only a one game sample size in this case but in today's NHL individual players certainly seem to be far less impactful to winning than they used to. Even the worst nhl level players can get the job done in a good system. Just with a lot less flash/entertainment.

McDavid is the best player in the world and for one game anyways his absence was not even remotely noticeable. Chicago is not a great team but came in playing very well the last while and had previously beat the Oilers twice this year.

The Oilers didn't even play a defensively sound game and managed to just out score them in a solid win.

I don't expect the Oilers to thrive while McDavid is away but I also don't expect them to suck. Any team can beat any team in today's NHL no matter who is in or out of the line up. If the Oilers play hard and smart they will give themselves a good chance to win every game.

I listened to a podcast of Toronto based hockey media the other day and they said the Oilers were a “one man team with the same lineup as last year”. SMH.

Shows you how little they know about the Oilers, which is literally nothing and on par with what I’d expect from Toronto based media who does nothing but pander to Leaf fans.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Drai is the human form of fire

weird feeling when you love your team. proud of the way they played. far from perfect but got the job done

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
and people still think i'm trolling when i say Draisaitl is the best in the league.....

Starts with the broadcast saying the Oilers missing their top player. Drai is starting to turn that into a fiction. He leads the NHL scoring race by 10pts and its like he's chopped chicken liver.

Is it some kind of difficult thing to start to acknowledge we have 1A, 1B superstars on this team. I think its a laziness that just thinks in Michael Jordan terms that you can't have more than one superstar on the same club. The Oilers do.

Its one thing for the rest of the league to not recognize it, but for the Oilers own org..

Then theres Remenda acknowledging (finally) what an overpay he said Draisaitl was. If only we could get Tychkowski coming clean on what an overpay Drai is.

Theres so many people around the org that have some major Drai crow to be eating. A lot of posters here too.

I may be projecting here but I don't think Draisaitl cares what others think/say.

He has said many times McDavid is the best player in the world and in general I agree. However with a big asterisk.

Draisaitl at the start of this year was THE best player I've watched potentially ever. That was because he was scoring and defending both equally amazing. Then in December, despite solid ppg, he was brutal in his own end. From two way monster to one dimensional scorer within the span of two months.

McDavid is every bit as inconsistent defensively but "typically" drives a line "better" than Draisaitl.

I think we are watching that change but at the same time... Draisaitl is playing with Nuge and Yamamoto versus McDavid playing with almost anyone.

I've always thought Draisaitl could surpass McDavid. Always, i have been one of his few supporters from day 1. But that was also when I thought McDavid might be more of a one trick pony, beat with speed or suck.

What everyone should realize, across the league/world, is that right now the Oilers clearly have THE best TWO players in the world.

For my money. I will crown McDavid or Draisaitl the clear cut best player in the world when one of them consistently cleans up their two way game. Both McDavid and Draisaitl can impact the game even more than they already do. Both should be able to carry a line by themselves while posting a significantly better 5v5 goals differential.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->