Cricket: Why are you chirping now mate, you're not getting wickets?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Had a bit of kip now awake again. I can’t believe we’re still in this but the bowling’s gonna have to tighten up again.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
No matter the result of a super over, we’ve drawn. I can’t believe it.

Full credit to England. Let’s go boys!!

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
That six off the bat was f***ing so shit. It's the rules but for that to determine the result the way it has. England have had so much luck in this game.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
It's trash. What a hollow way to win, luck into tying the game, draw the super over and then default win by having the most boundaries in the game. What a crap way to decide the showpiece event of the sport. Do another super over and get an actual winner of the final

Imagine deciding game 7 of the Stanley Cup on most shots or something like that.

For such a great game to end like that is a real shame.

Last edited:

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
It's trash. What a hollow way to win, luck into tying the game, draw the super over and then default win by having the most boundaries in the game. What a crap way to decide the showpiece event of the sport. Do another super over and get an actual winner of the final

Imagine deciding game 7 of the Stanley Cup on most shots or something like that.

For such a great game to end like that is a real shame.

Agreed. If it was something like the team that has lost the least number of wickets it would make more sense than boundaries.

Best solution is endless super over IMO.

Also the bye run off the batter rule needs to be revisited. If the batting side interferes in the throw they should not get any more runs from it, be it intentional or not.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I still don't get this. England did not win the game how on Earth do they get to take home the world cup?? That's an absolute travesty and the rules need a thorough review.

Reactions: Morozov

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Overall aside from that final, I thought this was a rather boring World Cup. Hopefully ICC expands the tournament to allow more teams, and have more knockout games.

This time, the top 4 was pretty much decided with a decent amount of group games left.

More group games played likely means the better teams will come out on top, but it puts less weight on each game, making for a less exciting tournament.

More group games means more India games, and thus more money, but I think settling for less cash in the short term for growing the game in the long term is a worth while investment. Say China starts doing well, makes the World Cup and starts getting interested. That’s another 1 billion + market that you can potentially tap into.

Would prefer they go back to allowing 12-16 team. Crazy to think two full members are not playing a World Cup. Having a 2007 type of tournament would put a lot more weight into the group games, allow more teams to play and allow better chance for weaker teams to advance, making the event more exciting. Basically mimicking the FIFA model.

We have the champions trophy for a truncated version of the event with only top teams anyways. Just having two more teams for the World Cup basically makes it the same event every 2 years.

Getting the chance to see teams that we usually don’t get to watch is always fun. I enjoyed watching Bermuda, Nepal, PNG, Namibia despite their lack of competitiveness in some games. Also helps those teams get some games against the big boys, which would otherwise be pretty much impossible.

member 305909

How big is this victory in comparison for example to the Rugby WC-win 2003?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Overall aside from that final, I thought this was a rather boring World Cup. Hopefully ICC expands the tournament to allow more teams, and have more knockout games.

This time, the top 4 was pretty much decided with a decent amount of group games left.

More group games played likely means the better teams will come out on top, but it puts less weight on each game, making for a less exciting tournament.

More group games means more India games, and thus more money, but I think settling for less cash in the short term for growing the game in the long term is a worth while investment. Say China starts doing well, makes the World Cup and starts getting interested. That’s another 1 billion + market that you can potentially tap into.

Would prefer they go back to allowing 12-16 team. Crazy to think two full members are not playing a World Cup. Having a 2007 type of tournament would put a lot more weight into the group games, allow more teams to play and allow better chance for weaker teams to advance, making the event more exciting. Basically mimicking the FIFA model.

We have the champions trophy for a truncated version of the event with only top teams anyways. Just having two more teams for the World Cup basically makes it the same event every 2 years.

Getting the chance to see teams that we usually don’t get to watch is always fun. I enjoyed watching Bermuda, Nepal, PNG, Namibia despite their lack of competitiveness in some games. Also helps those teams get some games against the big boys, which would otherwise be pretty much impossible.

The Champions Trophy is no more

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
How big is this victory in comparison for example to the Rugby WC-win 2003?

I felt the Rugby World Cup win was more popular. Or at least in my circles. A Rugby game is only 80 minutes as well, so easier to get the casual fan involved.

I would also say the 2005 Ashes victory felt bigger.

This was still pretty big though. And very important for English cricket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad