Movies: Creed II

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The lack of Dolph displeases me.

Without giving away spoilers in this part, he was definitely a presence in the movie.

Saw it tonight, it was actually quite good. I'll try to work up a little synopsis for the spoiler part without giving up the whole story

Before getting to the Drago stuff I was kind of wondering how and if they would pay off the Stuntman Wheeler stuff from the first film, they did that early in a satisfying, if really rushed way before they get to the meat of the movie which is the Drago-Creed confrontation. Actually they introduced the Dragos the scene before you see Adonis. Ivan was disgraced from the Soviet Union - and his wife walked out on them after his loss to Rocky which also gets paid off in the film with her as the villain in their arc - he and his kid now live in the Ukraine and Drago trains him to be a champion both to regain family honor, and out of anger over the wife's casting them aside.

Eventually they go to Philly to taunt him and Rocky into fighting the kid, a bit like Clubber or Tommy Gunn in some previous Rocky movies, culminating in a terse meeting between Rocky and Ivan in the restaurant. There's some elements of Rocky III in the middle of the movie with how the story arc goes, but obviously the events of Rocky IV are what hangs over every main character in some way or another and lead to some emotional confrontations all around.

Away from the ring it's definitely a father-son themed movie - from Ivan and Victor to Adonis with both Apollo and his impending newborn and even Rocky and his kid to a degree, plus obviously the Rocky-Adonis quasi-father/son relationship. It does keep Bianca involved as they now have a newborn and wind up moving to LA in part because of her career, and Adonis's mom has even more of a role in this film as does Duke's kid. The climactic fight definitely manages to pull on the emotional strings of following not just Adonis but the Dragos as well. While they definitely come off as villains in certain situations, you also understand where they're coming from emotionally given the backstory.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Without giving away spoilers in this part, he was definitely a presence in the movie.

Saw it tonight, it was actually quite good. I'll try to work up a little synopsis for the spoiler part without giving up the whole story

Before getting to the Drago stuff I was kind of wondering how and if they would pay off the Stuntman Wheeler stuff from the first film, they did that early in a satisfying, if really rushed way before they get to the meat of the movie which is the Drago-Creed confrontation. Actually they introduced the Dragos the scene before you see Adonis. Ivan was disgraced from the Soviet Union - and his wife walked out on them after his loss to Rocky which also gets paid off in the film with her as the villain in their arc - he and his kid now live in the Ukraine and Drago trains him to be a champion both to regain family honor, and out of anger over the wife's casting them aside.

Eventually they go to Philly to taunt him and Rocky into fighting the kid, a bit like Clubber or Tommy Gunn in some previous Rocky movies, culminating in a terse meeting between Rocky and Ivan in the restaurant. There's some elements of Rocky III in the middle of the movie with how the story arc goes, but obviously the events of Rocky IV are what hangs over every main character in some way or another and lead to some emotional confrontations all around.

Away from the ring it's definitely a father-son themed movie - from Ivan and Victor to Adonis with both Apollo and his impending newborn and even Rocky and his kid to a degree, plus obviously the Rocky-Adonis quasi-father/son relationship. It does keep Bianca involved as they now have a newborn and wind up moving to LA in part because of her career, and Adonis's mom has even more of a role in this film as does Duke's kid. The climactic fight definitely manages to pull on the emotional strings of following not just Adonis but the Dragos as well. While they definitely come off as villains in certain situations, you also understand where they're coming from emotionally given the backstory.
Does Creed die or what?

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Great movie, the fight scenes feel so real and strong, good mix of cheesy Rocky moments too.

Always appreciate an Avon sighting.

Reactions: irunthepeg

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Feel like these Creed movies, more than any movies recently, besides Marvel maybe, really get the crowd into it. The dude sitting next to me was literally shadowboxing during the fight scenes. It was annoying as hell, but, I respect the passion.

Reactions: discostu

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Went and saw this the other day, was surprised it wasn't actually about Creed Bratton.

screen-shot-2013-04-10-at-3-52-17-pm.png

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad