Credit of goal for deflections

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
First of all I'm only a casual fan of soccer so forgive me if this seems like a very layman question. But who gets credit for a goal in soccer when a player kicks the ball and it deflects off of a teammate (legally) and goes in the opposing net? Is it the shooter or the last person to touch it? Also does it make a difference if the last person to touch it is just standing (or even on the ground) and not even trying to score? I tried to google search this but I only found "Own goal" scenarios which is not what I'm seeking.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
First of all I'm only a casual fan of soccer so forgive me if this seems like a very layman question. But who gets credit for a goal in soccer when a player kicks the ball and it deflects off of a teammate (legally) and goes in the opposing net? Is it the shooter or the last person to touch it? Also does it make a difference if the last person to touch it is just standing (or even on the ground) and not even trying to score? I tried to google search this but I only found "Own goal" scenarios which is not what I'm seeking.

In this scenario the last person to make a touch gets credit with the goal. It makes no difference how it goes in or what part of the body it hits (legally)

Only time there is a debate is when it involves a player on the opposition team deflecting a ball into the net. During that scenario its not always awarded as an own goal. This usually depends if the shot was going to be on target or not, if the shot was going to hit the target and takes a deflection on an opposing player and goes in the goal is usually still given to the shooter

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Only time there is a debate is when it involves a player on the opposition team deflecting a ball into the net. During that scenario its not always awarded as an own goal. This usually depends if the shot was going to be on target or not, if the shot was going to hit the target and takes a deflection on an opposing player and goes in the goal is usually still given to the shooter

For example, while this shot takes a deflection off Florenzi, Ronaldo is credited with the goal because the shot was going to be on target despite the deflection

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the info. Theres a thread in NHL general discussion questioning whether credit for deflected goals (off a teammate not defender) should go to the shooter and wanted to confirm hockey mirrors the most popular sport in the word in that regard.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
As the first link noted, the real debate is when a ball that would have gone in anyways is deflected on route

Best example off the top of my head is this goal from Cyle Larin that could have been credited to Will Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad