Credentials of HHOF Voters

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
...people who have either never played hockey at its highest level, never played professional hockey, or, in many cases, never played organized hockey at even a recognized junior level be allowed to vote on Hockey Hall Of Fame player inductions?

More than half of the selection committee (10/18) falls into this category...

Jim Gregory, Scotty Bowman, David Branch, Eric Duhatschek, Jan-Ake Edvinsson, Mike Emrick, Michael Farber, Yvon Pedneault, Harry Sinden, Bill Torrey

vs.

Pat Quinn, Colin Campbell, Joh Davidson, Mike Gartner, Igor Larionov, Lanny McDonald, Serge Savard, Peter Stastny

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/indselect.shtml

By the way... Who are YOU to pass judgements on this!!??! ;) Only people who have actually been allowed to vote on the HHOF inductions should be allowed to judge its members! ;)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I hate that line of thinking that becuase you played a sport at a high level, you are automatically better qualified to judge players/coach/GM a team than somebody who didn't. It's still common to see ex-players with no previous experience just get handed coaching, management, and scouting positions over much more qualified people who didn't happen to earn millions of dollars playing the sport.

5lidyzer19

Jun 21, 2010
I hate that line of thinking that becuase you played a sport at a high level, you are automatically better qualified to judge players/coach/GM a team than somebody who didn't. It's still common to see ex-players with no previous experience just get handed coaching, management, and scouting positions over much more qualified people who didn't happen to earn millions of dollars playing the sport.

I agree entirely. I see absolutely ZERO problem with the HHOF selection committee not being only players. These people have been around and know the game and the players. They are highly educated on the history of the game and they love the game.

By the way... Who are YOU to pass judgements on this!!??!

Well played.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
With over 3 decades-worth of coaching experience, Bowman has certainly seen many players/generations and is therefore more than qualified to determine greatness based on what his eyes gauge, but guys like Shanahan and Larionov know how physically diffcult it is to skate like Coffey, hit like Stevens, stickhandle like Lafleur, shoot like Bossy, etc., and that is a truer/more legit level of appreciation.

This posting displays your elementary misconception: The HHOF is not meant to laude players for their actual skills in executing hockey plays. It is meant to distinguish those, who achieved certain personal accomplishments and brought a significant contribution to the game (therefore a technically brilliant player like Kovalev is no guaranteed inductee at all). Those persons, who can be deemed qualified to evaluate each player's accomplishments and contribution, may have been outstanding players themselves, but they do not necessarily have to be - because not the execution counts, but the outcome.

Gruß,
BSHH

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I know that a lot of us on here spend a great deal of time debating HHOFers. We aren't dummies either. I would bet none of us played in the NHL..........I didn't. However, you can still have an incredible mind for the game if you never played before and a lot of us do, as does someone like Mike Emrick

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
We aren't dummies either. I would bet none of us played in the NHL.........

Youd lose that bet. In the scheme of things, Id' have to say that Ive never encountered, outside of a dressing room so varied a collection of intelligent, artistic and intellectual a congregation of connoisseurs as I find here on hf's hoh boards. The incredible debates, appreciation & understanding for the game & the knowledge of the players, coaches and management, ownerships and leagues everyone brings to the table is both mind numbing & humbling.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I completely disagree. For example, I play professional tennis (primarily ITF Futures main draws, Challenger qualies) and when I read articles by Peter Bodo (chief editor at Tennis.com, official website of Tennis Magazine, the sport's preeminent publication, and ESPN contributor) I can help but laugh at how little he understands about the game's intricacies.

Explaining the difference in grips (the way the racuet is held), the angle the racquet face meets the ball, etc. displays a REAL understanding of the game and TRULY eduactes the audience. Giving readers paragraph after of paragraph of flowery writing about immeasurables like heart, intelligence and the ever popular "grit" requires no insight.

Heck, you can see it in the nomenclature: I've seen the Associated Press refer to a rally as a volley. If you are even slightly familiar with the sport, there is a HUGE difference between the defintion of these terms.

I'm certain there are cases of this in hockey.

You can't thoroughly analyze a sport, much less decide who the greats are, if you haven't experienced. relevant "combat" first hand.

All things being equal experience helps but exactly how much experience is open to debate.

There are also players in every sport, sometimes the most gifted ones, that just do it and have very little understanding or perspective on every aspect of play or how to evaluate players and talent.

Often we see "lesser" players that become coaches and GM's more so than great players.

The biggest problem with the HHOF committee IMO is the lack of transparency and reasoning behind their selections and omissions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->