Creative Online Dynasty Ideas for NHL 21

Tommyboy35987

Feb 3, 2021
Like many of you, me and my friends used to love playing NHL online franchises with each other. It was so much fun. But before franchises went online, we used to hang out in my dorm room, have a live draft where we bid on players, record the rosters on an Excel sheet, create teams, and have a season where we played each other a bunch of times, and had playoffs.

We all live pretty far away from each other now, so I was just wondering if anyone was doing some sort of creative season like this on NHL 21 or if anyone had any ideas to simulate the feel of a season among friends. I know you can't use created teams in online matches and it is boring using NHL teams where we can't trade or add guys throughout the season, so I was just curious what ideas other people had.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
If you have playstation you can use the Share Play feature where a buddy can play your game with you (both accounts require ps plus). Not sure if this feature exists for Xbox. Here's a little blurb from their website:
You can use Share Play to play with a friend as if you were in the same room. It allows you to invite a visitor to view your screen for up to 60 minutes a session. If you are stuck in a game or want the visitor to try a game, Share Play allows you to hand over your controller to a visitor so they can play instead. You can also invite your visitor to play a local multiplayer session over the Internet even if the game does not support online multiplayer. The visitor does not need to own the game to use Share Play.
After the 60 minutes are up, you can restart the session. There will be some input lag for the "visitor" but not much more than online play as long as you both have a good internet connection. You can incorporate it with home-ice advantage if you want to be creative (home team is the host console).

You can do a draft over zoom, record the teams, schedule, stats in an excel sheet. For rosters, you can create teams or simply swap out players on existing teams as everyone will need to have the same roster (re-creating teams X amount of times would take forever with NHL's menus).

If you don't want to manually create and track your teams, schedule, stats, playoffs, you can probably do this through Season Mode on one person's profile. The person providing the profile will have to be okay with everyone using it on their playstation though (requires sharing the password), as the Season mode save file can only be accessed through that certain profile. If they're not okay with that you can just create an account/profile specifically for this online league. Just make sure that you have cloud storage set up for this profile (believe it's on by default), so that each playstation can access the latest saved version of the season.

If you want to refresh your teams after every season, you can use the fantasy draft feature in Season mode. Otherwise for a "keeper league" you can do this manually over zoom once and adjust the roster before starting the subsequent season modes.

Also, just find the games where you play each other and write them down so you don't sim past them.

Other than that put in whatever rules you want. Like allowing one trade per team at the deadline, or losing team has to give away a player from their team, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad