Proposal: Creating cap space for Edmonton . No Lucic

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa will be a good source to dump the trash...

Not sure of that. They (ottawa) have both cap space and roster spots to fill. Might as well sign some vets to short term contracts until their plethora of picks/prospects develop. Can't see how pure cap dumps for terrible players does them any good, nor is this the only strategy/best alternative.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Brodziak has no value and we have no center depth, why move him. Same with Russell and Sekera. Are we really going to eat cap and add assets to move them and hope the kids are ready? Seems like just another recipe for disaster

Ya, I thought the Russell & Sekera deals could probably return something, but wondered if this was the best strategy. Both players only have 2 years remaining on their contracts, so riding the contracts out until they end might be best unless there is a really good prospect ready.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Edmonton fans need to realize that in order to move out their bad contracts , they will have to except the best offer given in return, all the while giving up a ton of picks, prospects and maybe 1 or 2 nhl ready player.

No team is going to do Edmonton a favor like this without a deal they can't refuse .
exactly in this case Edm is not in a sellers market.... but more like a buyers market.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Brodziak has no value and we have no center depth, why move him. Same with Russell and Sekera. Are we really going to eat cap and add assets to move them and hope the kids are ready? Seems like just another recipe for disaster

Unfortunately that's reality for Edmonton is to take the best deals available and any promising prospects or picks will need to be included.

Edmonton will most likely be in the tank business for a couple of years but in return they will hopefully get high draft picks and cap space freed up.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not sure of that. They have both cap space and roster spots to fill. Might as well sign some vets to short term contracts until their plethora of picks/prospects develop. Can't see how pure cap dumps for terrible players does them any good, nor is this the only strategy/best alternative.
the major sting will be this yr, with the bad contract out of the system, then the org can start looking at fixing the org.

Reactions: Taylorst

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Unfortunately that's reality for Edmonton is to take the best deals available and any promising prospects or picks will need to be included.

Edmonton will most likely be in the tank business for a couple of years but in return they will hopefully get high draft picks and cap space freed up.
harsh and i know it is, but then the owners allowed this to happen.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
exactly in this case Edm is not in a sellers market.... but more like a buyers market.

Exactly. In order for any team to take some of their awful contracts without asking Edmonton to eat salary or eat a ton of salary, picks and prospects have to be on the table.

The short term pain is nothing compared to the long term positive results

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
harsh and i know it is, but then the owners allowed this to happen.

Your spot on correct. Edmonton fans should be upset with management and the owner especially for having no clue about the decisions made or for allowing things to drag on for so long.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Ya, I thought the Russell & Sekera deals could probably return something, but wondered if this was the best strategy. Both players only have 2 years remaining on their contracts, so riding the contracts out until they end might be best unless there is a really good prospect ready.

I hate to break it to you but the fact that the players have term left on their contracts and have no real serviceable meaning at their cap hits I wouldn't expect them to move or if they did nothing more than a low pick.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Your spot on correct. Edmonton fans should be upset with management and the owner especially for having no clue about the decisions made or for allowing things to drag on for so long.
and after seeing them this past week or 2, they are not comprehending the facts of life.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I hate to break it to you but the fact that the players have term left on their contracts and have no real serviceable meaning at their cap hits (???) I wouldn't expect them to move or if they did nothing more than a low pick.

Hard to decipher that jumble of words you typed. I agree that if the Oilers retain plus add picks, they would be able to move even average/below average defenders rather easily. That's my interpretation of what you said, and if its correct, I agree. However, unless they have a better prospect ready to fill the voids, not sure this is the best strategy especially with players that only have 2 years remaining on their contracts.

Last edited:

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
and after seeing them this past week or 2, they are not comprehending the facts of life.
You don't have to tell Oiler fans what's going on. We're all very well aware of how far in the chitter this organization has sunk.

I truly believe the people that are having trouble with comprehension are those who think the franchise is going to gut themselves of picks and prospects to move a couple of contracts this off season because it's the only way to right the ship. It's not.

But the fact is nobody here has a hot damn clue what's going to happen and it's all speculative.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lucic is going to be moved this summer for far less than all the experts around here are certain of. Give it up already. He'll be traded without adding in three prospects and an unprotected first.

Where though?

The Canucks are also going to try and move Lou who would be more attractive to a cheap owner like in Ottawa.

Lou's cap hit is at 6 million but his actual salary is only 3 million a year, very attractive for a team trying to get to the floor.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You don't have to tell Oiler fans what's going on. We're all very well aware of how far in the chitter this organization has sunk.

I truly believe the people that are having trouble with comprehension are those who think the franchise is going to gut themselves of picks and prospects to move a couple of contracts this off season because it's the only way to right the ship. It's not.

But the fact is nobody here has a hot damn clue what's going to happen and it's all speculative.

well that is good, b/c some of the chatter i read and fought against, the feeling i got it was I that was delusional and not them as a whole.

this org needs help and if any team i like 2nd to the Bhawks will be Edm, maybe.

ref the 2nd bold, that is the most correct answer.

:cool:

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Where though?

The Canucks are also going to try and move Lou who would be more attractive to a cheap owner like in Ottawa.

Lou's cap hit is at 6 million but his actual salary is only 3 million a year, very attractive for a team trying to get to the floor.
I have no idea where. But when he gets paid his bonus in July it's a big chunk of money another team won't have to pay.

Despite what HF boards seem to believe, I think there is a market out there for Lucic at a reduced cost. Most people here will try and tell you he'll never play in the NHL again with another team, but I think it's f***ing ridiculous.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I have no idea where. But when he gets paid his bonus in July it's a big chunk of money another team won't have to pay.

Despite what HF boards seem to believe, I think there is a market out there for Lucic at a reduced cost. Most people here will try and tell you he'll never play in the NHL again with another team, but I think it's ****ing ridiculous.

He had a 79-6-14-20 line this year...that's a 4th line player and he doesn't have the speed or pace or hockey IQ to keep up with todays game.

Maybe he develops an allergy to gloves...........

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He had a 79-6-14-20 line this year...that's a 4th line player and he doesn't have the speed or pace or hockey IQ to keep up with todays game.

:snide: ;) :cool:

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016

I'm very familiar with the Lucic statistical rundown and what most people here think of him. It doesn't change my opinion. If he's still in Edmonton four years from now I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Until then, nobody will convince me he can't be moved without destroying the franchise.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm very familiar with the Lucic statistical rundown and what most people here think of him. It doesn't change my opinion.

Your opinion matters just as much as mine to NHL GM's, pretty much nothing.

what matters to NHL GM's is his declining production, lack of footspeed and pace and his very bad contract.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Oh come on. The pitchforks and torches have been out for management and Oilers fans are crying for a full-on purge of management. There are a few exceptions of course, but go spend some time on HFOilers and tell me we arent fully aware of our circumstances.

Reactions: TFHockey

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Your opinion matters just as much as mine to NHL GM's, pretty much nothing.

what matters to NHL GM's is his declining production, lack of footspeed and pace and his very bad contract.
Based on my HF observations, when people think they know what's going to happen, more times than not they're completely wrong. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just because you think yours is right doesn't mean it is, the same goes for me. All we can do is wait and see.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't understand why we would trade Russel and Sekera?

:/

Are we planning to replace them with raw rookies from the AHL or something?

Ethan Bear and Jones are likely going to be fighting for the 7th spot. I'd rather not have both of them up there.
(You can count Klefbom out for at least 20 games a year).

When Sekera and Klefbom came back from injury, our defense went from looking "absolutely abysmal", to looking "below average". I'd rather we not go through half the season with our Defense looking abysmal.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Lucic is going to be moved this summer for far less than all the experts around here are certain of. Give it up already. He'll be traded without adding in three prospects and an unprotected first.

In the past, teams have had to give up relatively valuable assets just to move guys with one or two more years left on their deals on LTIR. Chicago gave up a very promising prospect to move Brian Bickel’s contract.

Four more years of a six million AAV buy out proof deal for a below replacement level player is going to cost Edmonton a lot to move, especially when he can refuse to go to a team like Ottawa who would probably be willing to accept the least for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->