OT: Create a future roster (under 25's)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Wasn't that was also the Islanders trying to get into the lottery. Pick # 15 for pick # 14. May be Buf would move Grigorenko.

This is all just for fun. I know no team is going to make a deal like this.

I would be in favor of trading up for a high risk, high reward center. I feel like that is our best bet to find a true #1 center.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It was NYI offering all of their picks including the #4 for the #2 from Columbus. Supposedly they really liked Yakupov.

Personally I'd rather keep the draft picks.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
It was NYI offering all of their picks including the #4 for the #2 from Columbus. Supposedly they really liked Yakupov.

Personally I'd rather keep the draft picks.

I'm not sure I'd do it as the #2 team. You're moving down 2 spots for pretty much just the #34 pick. The other picks are essential valueless when you're comparing them to a top 3 pick. That and there can be a huge difference between the players available at #2 & #4.

Just as an example would you trade Murray for Reinhart+Pokka+Pelech.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jurco-Sheahan-Nyquist
Tatar-Jarnkrok-Mantha
Pulkkinen-Janmark-Nastasiuk
Athanasiou-Andersson-Ferraro

R.I.P.

giphy.gif

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lol allllll gone. We should do this again and visit in another 6 years and see if they're all gone again
My guess is that there will be like only 3 guys from Pre Yzerman draft of 2019 that will be on the roster 5-6 years from now. Nothing elite from 2015-2018. So, there really isn’t a point of doing this now as the bulk of their future roster hasn’t been drafted.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Nyquist Sheahan Mantha
Tatar Jarnkrok Jurco
Athanasiou Janmark Pulkkinen
Tvrdon Andersson Frk
Callahan Ferraro

Dekeyser Smith
Ouellet Marchenko
Backman Sproul
Almquist/Nedomlel

Mrazek
Paterson

Going back to this initial post. 7 out of the top 9 is NHL-players...just none with the Red Wings anymore, Jurco is somewhat still in the mix, Frk as well. I still hate those Jarnkrok and Janmark trades.

Defensively it's terrible how bad they have struggled developing them.
Mrazek also a NHL-goalie.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Oof. Sobering reminder of the likelihood that guys taken in the 2nd/3rd rounds pan out. I like guys like Johansson a lot, but this is a good example of why you can't rely on prospects like that to fill out your roster.

Edit: I will have the last laugh, wearing my Brendan Smith jersey and watching Moritz Seider parade down Woodward with the Cup :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
At least a lot of these guys panned out. And guys like Seider, Berggren, and Raymond have thus far provided enough evidence to warrant putting them in the top tier of those guys at worst. Rasmussen and Zadina have shown more NHL progress at a younger age than those in the prior class too. I think our skilled players end up a little more productive and our seemingly underwhelming youngsters end up very complete all-around players.

Just seems like there are more dimensions to the players we’ve drafted in the past few years than we did previously.

P.S. If you want to see some bad drafting, look at what Montreal pulled out of the draft after their ridiculous steals in 2007. From 2008-2015, they arguably got the equivalent of like 1.5 good NHLers. No one from their 2008 draft class ever played an NHL game. It’s almost creepy. Like it didn’t happen. Like they paid some otherworldly spirit to give them 2 years worth of draft luck in one go.

That last happened to the Wings in 1968. When the draft was 2 rounds deep. And the Wings picked just 2 players.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's sad looking back at these now that every single player is gone.

Okay how about the same exercise for 2024

Raymond-X- Zadina
Berggren- Larkin- Bert
Niederbach- Veleno- Vrana
Smith- Rasmussen- Grewe

X- Seider
Johansson- Hronek
Wallinder- Tuomisto

X
Petruzzeli

X = someone acquired via draft/trade/free agency

Reactions: BSHH

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's sad looking back at these now that every single player is gone.

Okay how about the same exercise for 2024

Raymond-X- Zadina
Berggren- Larkin- Bert
Niederbach- Veleno- Vrana
Smith- Rasmussen- Grewe

X- Seider
Johansson- Hronek
Wallinder- Tuomisto

X
Petruzzeli

X = someone acquired via draft/trade/free agency
OK, I'll bite.

X-X-X
X-X-X
X-X-X
X-X-X

X- Seider
X- X
X- X

X
X

Considering DDK was the only right choice last time, I'll take my chances with Seider.

Reactions: 14ari13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't know. That's pretty good group considering draft position.
Dang. Just replace Sheahan with Kuznetsov, and if you can still get Larkin, I like that forward group well enough.
The defense is bowwow.

Tatar-Kuznetsov Mantha
AA-Larkin-Nyquist
Pulkkinen-Jarnkrok-Janmark (Jurco)
Nestrasil-Glendending-Ferraro

Pretty soft on the wings

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
at this point the only player i'd really be surprised if they weren't here in 5 years or so is Seider, who at that point even in the worst case scenario barring some sort of catastrophic injury is probably something along the lines of a 25 year old higher end 2nd pairing guy that's good defensively and not a liability offensively

I guess Larkin would be mildly surprising too with the whole captain thing but I could still see it happening

the rest are a mix of potential that may not be realized and bad/meh/decent players

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Raymond 2022Pick Zadina
Berggren Larkin Vrana
Veleno Rasmussen Neiderbach
Soderblom Some pick some pick

2021 pick Seider
Johansson Hronek
Mcissac Wallinder

Who knows

fabbri and bert will be gone by then

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
at this point the only player i'd really be surprised if they weren't here in 5 years or so is Seider, who at that point even in the worst case scenario barring some sort of catastrophic injury is probably something along the lines of a 25 year old higher end 2nd pairing guy that's good defensively and not a liability offensively

I guess Larkin would be mildly surprising too with the whole captain thing but I could still see it happening

the rest are a mix of potential that may not be realized and bad/meh/decent players
I don't expect many Holland draft picks to be on the roster when Detroit finally returns to the playoffs. Probably looking at around 4 or 5 guys only. Which is an indictment given that those players will be anywhere from as young as 24/25 to as old as 28 or so like Larkin when they finally get there. That is prime years for an NHL player.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If you're asking me who almost certainly will here or in the NHL in 5 years.

100 percent: Larkin. Hronek. Zadina. Seider. Raymond.
85 percent: Rasmussen.
80 percent: Veleno. Berggren.
50 percent: Johansson.
45 percent: Soderblom.
40 percent: Cholowski. Svechnikov.
35 percent: Lindstrom. Smith.

After that, it just feels like, who knows? I like Niederbach, but still. Wallinder? Nice tools, but could easily be a bust. Tuomisto? Mastrosimone? Let's see them in the AHL.
McIsaac would be up there with some injury luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad