Crazy GD Stat.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
For the entire league, the goal differential is always 0, for exactly that reason. There's no way for the system, as a whole, to ever become unbalanced. Now, if you look at individual teams, or divisions, and how they contribute to the overall balance, that's where things get wonky.

If you add up all the individual teams, or all the divisions, thus making up the entire league, the total should be zero correct?

But than why do the numbers in the OP (all the divisions) add up to -2?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Good point but no other division seem able to beat the bottom dwellers like the central. That said there is no way that the central is +100 compared to then next best division at -7 is because they are only beat bad teams badly. If the fact that the central is so successful against bad teams why aren't the Metro, Atlantic, and the Pacific good teams doing the same?

If they're +100, but those 6 teams account for 90 of those goals, that's a significant portion of why the Central is at +100.

Ottawa, which hasn't been a good team this year, is 2-3 against the Central, which isn't bad, but they're -11 in GD, because in 2 of the games they were blown out by 11 combined goals. How do you read that? They won 2 of 5, were close in 3 of 5, but weren't in the same building in 2 of 5. Their 2 wins didn't even come on this continent.

Chicago is a +16 in GD for the year, including 10-1 and 8-2 wins. Those are abnormal scores, which has the Hawks at a +15. In the other 41 games they've played, they're at +1. How do you read that? 41 is larger than 2. Are they more the 41 game team, or the 2 game team? The 10-1 win came in the home and season opener for the Hawks, coming off an embarrassing sweep in the playoffs, Niemi started that game, and Pittsburgh had to travel and played on back to back nights.

Stats are what they are. You can pick and choose whatever you want to make whatever argument you want. Arizona and Buffalo aren't good against any group of teams. Out of 10 games against the Central, Pittsburgh has 2 especially bad ones with 10-1 and 7-1 losses, which at -15, accounts for almost their entire -17 total against the division. Any way you cut it, the Central is the best overall division in the league. If they're beating up on 6 specific non-Central teams, but everyone beats up on 2 of those 6 anyway, it's probably better than any other division from top to bottom, but maybe not get too crazy about it.

Appreciate the Edmonton thing though. Makes the Kings life a little easier.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
If you add up all the individual teams, or all the divisions, thus making up the entire league, the total should be zero correct?

But than why do the numbers in the OP (all the divisions) add up to -2?

Thanks, good catch I screwed up on my math I had the Atlantic at - 46 when they are actually -44. My bad. I've corrected the OP.

Sorry about my mistake but this error does not change the point of the OP.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
All teams play the same # of divisional games, just the #
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure. If you add up the goal scorers on the Leafs the total is 142, and the GF stat lists the Leafs as 146. I can't find anything on the NHL website that details the stats.

Edit:

So, it doesn't state if game winning shootout goals are counted in the GA...
Yes it does....From the NHL Standings page:
NHL Hockey Standings
Tie-Breaking Procedure
  1. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad