Management Crazy Fact About the Bruins and Management

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
Currently playing for the Habs (heading to third year) or have three years or more since 2000:

Kotkaniemi
Galychenyuk
Price
Kotstitsyn
Komisarek

Apologies, I had put in Poehling and Beaulieu.

Sorry just trying to make sense of it...your position is/was that the Bruins don't make it to the second contract, so Kotkaniemi comes off your list until he resigns...

Personally, I don't think this is much of a conversation point...the Bruins don't get a lot of top 10 picks and I like it that way...lol

Also, each player is different...for instance...

Kessel didn't want to play for Cluade.
Seguin's off ice issues got him moved.
Hamilton didn't want to be drafted by the Bruins let alone resign.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a nice little trip down memory lane...always love looking back at old drafts...

Reactions: Coach Parker

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
Okay, why stop at 1979? I went all the way back to the beginning. Since you've brought it up go back and let me know how many top 10 picks in the history of the Canadiens have played more than 3 seasons for them.

Boston had 7.
I stopped in 1979 because that is when the draft system changed from "Amateur" to "Entry ". The whole draft was much different prior to 1979. Also, the "entry" contract system changed, there was no such thing for years and then it was 4 years and now its 3.

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
Since 1970, the only teams that won a Cup without a top 3 pick were (highest drafted player in brackets):

2001 Avalanche - Peter Forsberg (6th overall)
1996 Avalanche - Peter Forsberg (6th overall)
1989 Flames - Lanny McDonald (4th overall)
1987 Oilers - Paul Coffey (6th overall)
1985 Oilers - Paul Coffey (6th overall)
1984 Oilers - Paul Coffey (6th overall)
1970 Bruins - Rick Smith (7th overall)*

* Technically Frank Spring (4th) was a higher pick, but only played 1 regular season game.

Things get murkier before that because the draft was a different beast in the 60s and the draft only began in 1963, but the 1968 and 1969 Canadiens had Garry Monahan (1st overall, 1963) suit up for 11 regular season games in 1967/68 and 3 regular season games in 1968/1969, although no playoff games. Highest drafted player I could find on the 1966/67 Leafs was Jim McKenney (17th, 1963), who played 6 regular season games and no playoff games.
And in a practical sense the 1970 Bruins and those ‘80s Oilers teams shouldn’t really count either. The Oilers had Gretzky, who wasn’t eligible to be drafted but who surely would have been a 1st overall pick. Similarly the Bruins had Orr, who wasn’t drafted but everyone knew was the top prospect ever before signing with Boston.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
It's nuts looking back at their history. 7 players. Seven. That's it in their history of drafting. Seven players lasted beyond three years playing for the Bruins.
Let’s not forget players like Orr or even gresky for that matter we’re never drafted to the NHL

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Meanwhile in Pittsburgh...

They lost the 2004 draft lottery to Washington when they had 25% odds to get 1st pick and Washington had a 14.2% chance, but it worked out better for them because the Crosby lottery took into account performance during the last 3 seasons (Pittsburgh had been a bottom feeder for exactly 3 seasons), along with how many 1st picks each team had in the last 3 years. The Pens already had one from 2003 when they took Fleury, but having another one would have taken their odds down significantly. They still only had a 6.3% chance to get Crosby (which was tied for the best odds with NYR, Columbus and Buffalo), but it's pretty mind-boggling when you think of all the factors in play. The two generational prospects in the 2004 draft, the lockout being that season, the Pens sucking for those 3 specific years, the odds of losing one lottery but winning the next one... Craziness.

It's more fun the hard way though.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
A lot of it comes down to money and the fanbase has been ingrained to think like Jacobs and Sinden. Pasternak/Marchand/Bergeron would not be as popular as they are if they earned their market value like Kane/Toews. They're would be daily trade proposals for all 3 if any earned 10 mil or more annually.

Kessel @ 5 mil was deemed too much when it was OK to pay Sturm 4. Worked out for us.

Seguin had the best contract in the NHL of the last decade but he was traded before it even kicked in with his upcoming raise being a very large factor. Loui was targetted because he had a team friendly contract.

DO NOT FORGET ABOUT BLAKE WHEELER WHO WAS A TOP 5 PICK.... he was traded for Peverly's outlier contract that was sub 2 mil at the time and had a couple years left.

Thornton never gets traded if he signed before the lockout and the rollback happens he was the best player on the planet at the time though Crosby/Ovi would catch him.

Somehow it has all worked out. We spend to the cap. We just don't like paying guys only Backes and Marty Lapointe have bucked the trend thats pretty much it and they didn't get those contracts as Bruins they were UFAs. No current Bruin has gotten a big contract as a Bruin closest thing is Seguin and Thornton who were both traded months after signing it.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I stopped in 1979 because that is when the draft system changed from "Amateur" to "Entry ". The whole draft was much different prior to 1979. Also, the "entry" contract system changed, there was no such thing for years and then it was 4 years and now its 3.

Agreed. What's crazy is even going back through all that the Bruins only had one in that era.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Consider how good the Bruins have been for so long. Didn't get as many top 10 picks as everyone else.

The last 3 were problem children. Which is more likely at the top of the draft.

The cap is a big factor. After a couple years those top guys cost a lot. Easier to maintain a deeper team with no one making 8 million+.

Having a tradition of excellence and work ethic give the team identity. Bruins seem to keep that going. What is the identity of the Florida Panthers?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Consider how good the Bruins have been for so long. Didn't get as many top 10 picks as everyone else.

The last 3 were problem children. Which is more likely at the top of the draft.

The cap is a big factor. After a couple years those top guys cost a lot. Easier to maintain a deeper team with no one making 8 million+.

Having a tradition of excellence and work ethic give the team identity. Bruins seem to keep that going. What is the identity of the Florida Panthers?

Empty seats and rats when they make the playoffs :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->