Eklund Rumor: Crawford to the Islanders

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Seabrook breaking down with the contract he has is essentially wasting the primes of Toews & Kane while Duncan Keith hits 35 in two months. The Blackhawks absolutely have to add defense, trading Hjalmarsson has turned them from a playoff lock to a lottery team. But hey, if you want to stay the course nobody's forcing you to trade anyone.

Hjalmarsson's trade had nothing to do with the Hawks issues. Hammer was bad the last half season and playoffs before they traded him and he did not get better in AZ.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hjalmarsson's trade had nothing to do with the Hawks issues. Hammer was bad the last half season and playoffs before they traded him and he did not get better in AZ.

I take it you did not see Hammer play when he was healthy this year. He was very very good.

And Murphy was underrated good for Chicago this year. Problem is Q needs to get his head out of his rump.
Murphy is a third pairing at best. I have watched him for years and I was one of the first posters who said Murphy was a third pairing. Nice kid and all, but he is what he is.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I take it you did not see Hammer play when he was healthy this year. He was very very good.

Murphy is a third pairing at best. I have watched him for years and I was one of the first posters who said Murphy was a third pairing. Nice kid and all, but he is what he is.

I watched 15-20 AZ games this year to watch hammer specifically and he was not even close to good. If you think that is good then I don't know what to tell you. The eye-test and numbers back this up.

Murphy is a #4 right now and is not perfect but he was better than Hammer was this season and better than Hammer was the previous season. This is with him playing on his offside. The biggest issue was Q.

Reactions: HawkeyTalkMan

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Third pairing at best? So you're basically saying he's fringe dman? Q basically scrambled his confidence because he doesn't trust young dmen yet he still posted a 53% corsi on a terrible team. Once he got comfortable after the first 30 games he was pretty solid when on the second pair.

How dumb

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
As a Devils fan, I would do this trade without thinking twice.

I'd ask for the Hawks to take Ben Lovejoy as well just for cap purposes and to have Steve Santini play a regular role on our 3rd pair.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Let me get this straight

According to Eklund the Hawks trade our two time cup winning 33 yr old starting goalie who has been one of the few positives about this team for last few years and his 6M cap hit x 2 years left to Isles

Then go and trade for a 32 yr old #1 who is coming off two horrible years (Including losing #1 job this year) and just had hip surgery and is signed to a 6M cap hit x 4 more years?

Along with trading one of the faces of our franchise in Toews who is captain of team and 3x Cup champion who has a NMC!

How does any of this make sense? Eklund isn't even trying anymore

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
SHNeider >>>>> crawford.
true,

both are injured but I wouldnt take crawford for free, Schneider at least has value. crawford needs to prove himself all over again

i cant believe boredmale would give up sorokin for a guy whose career might be over

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Crawford is cheap in terms of being a goalie and Schneider lost the starting job to Keith Kinkaid.

rumour literally makes no sense anyway.

we watched the blackhawks play this year especially in the playoffs and crawford didnt look very good

id take himfor free if you ate half of his cap, but otherwise i dont touch him hes too expensive and risky for my taste

chicago wouldnt be offering him if they really still believed in him

I think he's probably finished

Last edited by a moderator:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I know he has suffered a serious and questionable injury. But Crawford is being woefully under appreciated here. I feel he has earned the benefit of the doubt until being written off as some posters have.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
we watched the blackhawks play this year especially in the playoffs and crawford didnt look very good

id take himfor free if you ate half of his cap, but otherwise i dont touch him hes too expensive and risky for my taste

[mod] One the Blackhawks didn’t make the playoffs and when Crawford was healthy this year he was elite.

kij

Jan 31, 2016

How did you watch Crawford in this year's playoffs when the Blackhawks missed them? I believe that Crawford will bounce back and there is no shot he gets traded without a proven starter coming in at the same time.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I know he has suffered a serious and questionable injury. But Crawford is being woefully under appreciated here. I feel he has earned the benefit of the doubt until being written off as some posters have.
thats the wrong way to think in a cap world, 6M is a lot of money in a capped environment, Kulemin and Grabovski and Ladd dont even make 6M, and each of them put serious limitations on our roster the last few years. you cannot risk that much flexibility on a guy who could give you zero in return, health is a funny thing. Grabo wanted desparately to return but the doctors would never let him.

crawfords injury is such that he could like Grabo, he could retire tomorrow .both have post-concussion syndrome and the Islanders want no part of that. after dealing with the doctors with Grabo for two years they fully understand the grave risks involved

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How did you watch Crawford in this year's playoffs when the Blackhawks missed them? I believe that Crawford will bounce back and there is no shot he gets traded without a proven starter coming in at the same time.

thats the point

they wouldnt play him and missed the playoffs rather than take the risk, thats exactly the point

youre acting like this injury is no big deal, when in fact its life threatening

like Grabovski he may ever play again

the Isles Doctors have dealt with this for a few years, Grabovski wanted desparately to play as im sure crawford does but the team doctors wouldnt let him. im sure its the same in chicago

he could die or he could recover, the point is until the doctors clear him he's one big risk

thats exactly the point

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
thats the wrong way to think in a cap world, 6M is a lot of money in a capped environment, Kulemin and Grabovski and Ladd dont even make 6M, and each of them put serious limitations on our roster the last few years. you cannot risk that much flexibility on a guy who could give you zero in return, health is a funny thing. Grabo wanted desparately to return but the doctors would never let him.

crawfords injury is such that he could like Grabo, he could retire tomorrow .both have post-concussion syndrome and the Islanders want no part of that. after dealing with the doctors with Grabo for two years they fully understand the grave risks involved

For the Islanders or another team it would be a clear risk. But my intention was not to address him moving to another team.

My point was that Crawford as a player, is being overly criticized. Not to ascertain what his risk/reward is for another team to acquire.

There isn’t a goalie (save Lundqvist,maybe Quick) in today’s NHL who have not struggled at certain times in recent years: Rask, Holtby, Rinne, Fleury etc.

Crawford by all comparable metrics IS a top goalie.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
For the Islanders or another team it would be a clear risk. But my intention was not to address him moving to another team.

My point was that Crawford as a player, is being overly criticized. Not to ascertain what his risk/reward is for another team to acquire.

There isn’t a goalie (save Lundqvist,maybe Quick) in today’s NHL who have not struggled at certain times in recent years: Rask, Holtby, Rinne, Fleury etc.

Crawford by all comparable metrics IS a top goalie.

he is, but you cant separate him fromhis injury as you are doing. especially since we had Grabo, we have experience with this. We have no excuse because we have already seen what it does, you only trade for him if you accept beforehand that he may never play again. if he does its gravy, but you acknowledge there is a better than even chance he wont.

remember the player has no say in this, Grabo every year wanted desparately to play, but he could never get medical clearance

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
he is, but you cant separate him fromhis injury as you are doing. especially since we had Grabo, we have experience with this. We have no excuse because we have already seen what it does, you only trade for him if you accept beforehand that he may never play again. if he does its gravy, but you acknowledge there is a better than even chance he wont.

remember the player has no say in this, Grabo every year wanted desparately to play, but he could never get medical clearance

I’m not separating him from his injury. As a team looking to acquire him, it would weigh heavily on my decision. And I would leave it at that and move on.

But, there is no solid report (to my knowledge) that he is even being shopped. Yet there is no shortage of hyperbolic statements belittling his play in comparison to other goalies.

Moreover, if Chicago honestly feels he can return from his injury. Then that inherently impacts his value to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->