Eklund Rumor: Crawford to the Islanders

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
If I'm J.T, and I hear that Lou is willing to trade young pieces for Crawford, I'd probably tell him I'm not coming back right then and there.

Crawford just missed how many games? And his symptoms were "vertigo-like" which is a dangerous path to bank your goaltending on. If they do it, and he comes back and is fine, it's a steal --- but the likelihood of that happening isn't as high as people would probably want to believe, unfortunately.

If I'm Chicago, I'm asking for Josh Ho Sang, Linus Soderstrom and Dal Colle. That gives them a young goaltender for the future, a project in Dal Colle, and an elite prospect in Ho Sang (with some problems, but those can be fixed).

Obviously Sorokin, Bellows and Beau are off limits, so that is the best option after that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Obviously Sorokin, Bellows and Beau are off limits, so that is the best option after that.

I would actually be willing to trade Sorokin if we could get good value for him(say a late first/early 2nd). I am at the point I am fearing he will never sign to come here so if we can get anything of value for him and that team somehow can sign him, more power to them.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If I'm J.T, and I hear that Lou is willing to trade young pieces for Crawford, I'd probably tell him I'm not coming back right then and there.

Crawford just missed how many games? And his symptoms were "vertigo-like" which is a dangerous path to bank your goaltending on. If they do it, and he comes back and is fine, it's a steal --- but the likelihood of that happening isn't as high as people would probably want to believe, unfortunately.

If I'm Chicago, I'm asking for Josh Ho Sang, Linus Soderstrom and Dal Colle. That gives them a young goaltender for the future, a project in Dal Colle, and an elite prospect in Ho Sang (with some problems, but those can be fixed).

For a 33 yr old coming off a serious head injury? Gross.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

As a Hawks fan, this package intrigues me.
Would draft picks be included in this as well?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Possibly the worst source in the league.

Is Crawford is past his head injury? I would rather make a push for for Dell in SJ.

That would be my worry with Crawford. He is 34 and just came off a major injury. Maybe for a 2nd round pick I take a chance(I would prefer just unloading Dal Colle) but not anything more

Reactions: IODCPiper

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
All of this hinges on Crawford’s health obviously, but if I’m JT and the Islanders don’t upgrade goaltending big time I’m not even talking to Lou. And no offence to Aaron Dell, but I mean a real upgrade. Crawford is an elite goaltender who has not only won two cups but has the stats to back it up.

If the Islanders are serious about keeping JT they go hard after Crawford....or another top echelon goalie if one is available.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
For a 33 yr old coming off a serious head injury? Gross.

The price is an unproven (2nd in your depth pool) prospect goaltender, a 21 year old who has done nothing since he left Oshawa, and your most talented winger prospect who seemingly can't buy a way into the big club because of attitude.

I'm not a Blackhawks fan.

Islanders don't give up any picks, or any of their "in the NHL" prospects, and that price is head injury considered.

Had he not been coming off the head injury, you're looking at Beauv and Bellows.

As a Hawks fan, this package intrigues me.
Would draft picks be included in this as well?

I think a conditional 2019 2nd for Chicago and conditional 2019 2nd for NYI could be added; if Crawford plays more than 50 games, Islanders pay a 2nd, if he plays less than 25, Blackhawks pay a 2nd --- If he plays between 25 and 50, nobody moves a pick.

Reactions: dood

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
All of this hinges on Crawford’s health obviously, but if I’m JT and the Islanders don’t upgrade goaltending big time I’m not even talking to Lou. And no offence to Aaron Dell, but I mean a real upgrade. Crawford is an elite goaltender who has not only won two cups but has the stats to back it up.

If the Islanders are serious about keeping JT they go hard after Crawford....or another top echelon goalie if one is available.
There is a new report,cannor recall if it is from Simmons or Friedman, but the isles have reportedly let teans around the league know they are shopping for goaltending.

And Crawford's health is a pretty big question mark at this point.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The price is an unproven (2nd in your depth pool) prospect goaltender, a 21 year old who has done nothing since he left Oshawa, and your most talented winger prospect who seemingly can't buy a way into the big club because of attitude.

I'm not a Blackhawks fan.

Islanders don't give up any picks, or any of their "in the NHL" prospects, and that price is head injury considered.

Had he not been coming off the head injury, you're looking at Beauv and Bellows.

k.

Kadri looked like a young pain in the a** early in his career and I read a comment that Gomez had bumps in his development in NJ.

So,this idea that JHS has no future with the nyi, is not one I buy into.

And Crawford IS coming off a serious head injury.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Only way I'm interested in Crawford if it's a salary relief move, like Eberle coming to us last offseason.

Considering Chicago once moved Teravainen as a sweetener for clearing salary, I'll take my chances and wait for a Crawford-for-Dal Colle straight up deal. Much like Eberle, that $6M in cap relief can be mighty tempting.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Only way I'm interested in Crawford if it's a salary relief move, like Eberle coming to us last offseason.

Considering Chicago once moved Teravainen as a sweetener for clearing salary, I'll take my chances and wait for a Crawford-for-Dal Colle straight up deal. Much like Eberle, that $6M in cap relief can be mighty tempting.
Look at Lou's big goalie trades. Schneider was 26 and Anderson 27.
I think we are more likely to see Dell to LI then Crawford to LI

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Look at Lou's big goalie trades. Schneider was 26 and Anderson 27.
I think we are more likely to see Dell to LI then Crawford to LI

27 or 33, I really think we only need a stopgap until Sorokin is ready to come over. If Chicago is looking to clear Crawford's cap so they can fix their defense, I don't mind taking him on board. Think he's past his prime but could be a better version of Nabokov for us. I'd rather make a trade like that then give up 1st rounders, Bellows or Ho-Sang for a goalie.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I would be surprised if the Islanders trade JHS straight up for Crawford, let alone add Soderstrom in the package as well.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio

Why would the Hawks trade Crawford for cap relief? They have over $6 million in cap with 6 spots to fill, even before the cap goes up.

EDIT: Those numbers are before Hossa gos on LTIR, so more like $11 million with 7 spots.

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Why would the Hawks trade Crawford for cap relief? They have over $6 million in cap with 6 spots to fill, even before the cap goes up.

Seabrook breaking down with the contract he has is essentially wasting the primes of Toews & Kane while Duncan Keith hits 35 in two months. The Blackhawks absolutely have to add defense, trading Hjalmarsson has turned them from a playoff lock to a lottery team. But hey, if you want to stay the course nobody's forcing you to trade anyone.

Reactions: DarthProbert

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Seabrook breaking down with the contract he has is essentially wasting the primes of Toews & Kane while Duncan Keith hits 35 in two months. The Blackhawks absolutely have to add defense, trading Hjalmarsson has turned them from a playoff lock to a lottery team. But hey, if you want to stay the course nobody's forcing you to trade anyone.
I didn't say they should stay the course, but trading Crawford would be pouring gasoline on the fire. He carried us to the playoffs in 16 and 17, and when he went down this year we had no one to replace him. Our D was bad this year, but our goaltending was worse. To make moves on D, the Hawks would be better served moving guys like Anisimov and Murphy. Trading Crawford without a starting goalie in place means the Hawks are rebuilding. That is what wasting Toews and Kane's primes looks like.

Reactions: Svengoolie

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

The Hjalmarsson trade wasn’t the singular reason they turned into a lottery team, it probably wasn’t even one of the top-3 reasons.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't say they should stay the course, but trading Crawford would be pouring gasoline on the fire. He carried us to the playoffs in 16 and 17, and when he went down this year we had no one to replace him. Our D was bad this year, but our goaltending was worse. To make moves on D, the Hawks would be better served moving guys like Anisimov and Murphy. Trading Crawford without a starting goalie in place means the Hawks are rebuilding. That is what wasting Toews and Kane's primes looks like.

Fair enough, I'd think a cheaper UFA option like Lehner or even Halak, maybe a trade for someone like Grubauer while sending the older Crawford and his salary off and only getting an ELC back. $6M is nothing to sneeze at in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->