Craig Smith

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Poile said in a press conference yesterday that this kid has a good chance to make the Preds roster if he opts of of his last year of college. What can you guys tell me about him?

He reminds me of Chris Drury (as seen in better days). Basically you're prototypical American forward (at least for much of the 2000s). Not great at any one thing, but will be a player that is surprisingly effective/productive even though you might not notice him all that much.

Robin Lehner*

He played on the top line for the US at this year's WC

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Poile and Fenton absolutely gush about this kid. Fenton said, at the draft, that scouts from other teams were coming up to him during the WC's and asking, "Who is this kid? Where did you find him?"

I knew they were leaning on him heavily to bail on going back to school, but with a good chance of Hobey Baker consideration if he could repeat or improve on the season he had last year (42 points in 43 games), he was determined to go back. I'm guessing they must feel he's pretty close to NHL ready and sold him on his chance of making the team.

Another interesting note -- in speaking to Fenton myself, I asked what he thought his honest take on Smith's upside is -- he said that they feel he could be a 30-35 goal guy. They love his offensive ability. I asked Corey Pronman his take, and repeated Fenton's estimate -- Pronman agreed with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad