Craig Smith....

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
This guy is completely baffling to me. It doesn't look like there is a lack of effort. He is genuinely upset with himself when he doesn't score as we saw the other night when he was smashing his stick on the bench. Is it the system? Why has he regressed?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Last night was a perfect example: Breakaway, post, power move to the net with a lane and great save by Crawford.

He gives effort, and he gets high-quality scoring chances. He is not burying them this year. From a career perspective, he has always been a bit streaky. I think Smith needs to go more to the net as he did last night, and he will start to find more consistency. For some reason, our offensive zone play puts little to no pressure around the goalie, and thus we get limited rebounds and few close range shots.

Meh.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I agree, our 'system' doesn't generate near the amount of goal mouth scrambles that most teams do. We also generate far, far too few odd man rushes. Somewhat puzzling because while we don't have the overall speed of many teams we do have some. Last year when we were successful we generated far more off forechecking than we have this year. So we basically get no easy goals or few goal mouth scramble goals. Which is how other teams seem to score on us at twice or three times our rate.

Of course, when a team has as many key players playing awfully as we do right now (ribs, fish, rinne, smith, Wilson) and Forsberg turning the puck over time after time you simply can't win consistently.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Smith just can't elevate the puck this year. Almost every time he has, he's scored. Most of the time he makes a great effort and then sends it harmlessly into the pad. And every good shot from the outside has hit the post.

Of course the same can be said for Wilson, Fisher, Jarnkrok, Forsberg and every forward not named Neal/Johansen.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Smith is obviously better than he's been this year. I'm not ready to give up on him (or Wilson) for that matter, I think they're decent-to-good second liners still. It's our system/coaching. I'm starting to feel like the team is tuning Laviolette out.

Phototropic

Feb 4, 2012
Chattanooga
Last night was a perfect example: Breakaway, post, power move to the net with a lane and great save by Crawford.

He gives effort, and he gets high-quality scoring chances. He is not burying them this year. From a career perspective, he has always been a bit streaky. I think Smith needs to go more to the net as he did last night, and he will start to find more consistency. For some reason, our offensive zone play puts little to no pressure around the goalie, and thus we get limited rebounds and few close range shots.

Meh.
I agree with this. He's always been quick to shoot which is fine, but it seems like this year he's taken a lot more shots on net as he crosses the blue line with no one else in the zone. A bit more patience and net drive would be good, even if it results in fewer shots. It is good to see his speed showing up the last couple games though.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
It's just amazing how bad he's been. I wear his jersey to games. During his rookie year and rookie All Star appearance, I really thought he was going to be MUCH better than he's turned out to be.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Of course I am biased on the subject when it comes to Smith. What is going on with this guy is the reason I have been against the guy all along. He can not finish, the few times he does has been what kept is head above water. You give someone like Neal or RJ those chances he has missed they score 35 to 40. He is a defensive liability, while he has good forward speed his side to side movement is mediocre and his ability to skate backwards is poor. His long stretches of pointless games is more than streaky he has scored in 12 games out of 45 this season that includes goals and asst's and has had top 6 minutes until recently. Smith and Wilson cashed in and have checked out. They may be fan favorites but overall there below average hockey players. There trade value can't go much lower if Poile gets picks for them he is going to be fortunate. The cap is real and they are overpaid for what they are bringing.

To improve the team both of these guys need to be moved. We do not have players in the system to put on that 2nd line. Fiala is not ready he was as lost as last years easter egg all night against the Hawks. Things could get worse I guess but not a heck of a lot more.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Of course I am biased on the subject when it comes to Smith. What is going on with this guy is the reason I have been against the guy all along. He can not finish, the few times he does has been what kept is head above water. You give someone like Neal or RJ those chances he has missed they score 35 to 40. He is a defensive liability, while he has good forward speed his side to side movement is mediocre and his ability to skate backwards is poor. His long stretches of pointless games is more than streaky he has scored in 12 games out of 45 this season that includes goals and asst's and has had top 6 minutes until recently. Smith and Wilson cashed in and have checked out. They may be fan favorites but overall there below average hockey players. There trade value can't go much lower if Poile gets picks for them he is going to be fortunate. The cap is real and they are overpaid for what they are bringing.

To improve the team both of these guys need to be moved. We do not have players in the system to put on that 2nd line. Fiala is not ready he was as lost as last years easter egg all night against the Hawks. Things could get worse I guess but not a heck of a lot more.
I know you have a generally negative agenda to push, but Fiala did not look bad at all last night. Thought his passing was really good. He almost sprung Neal on a breakaway from blue line to blue line up the middle.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Oh my God. Fisher has been terrible. I know he's 35 and had that knee injury, but my lord...he glides EVERYWHERE and hasn't done a thing. He's as you have said..MIA. it sucks.

35GP 5G 4A 9PTS averaging 18:01 TOI per game.

Last year: 59GP 19G 20A 39pts averaged 18:26

Father time has caught up and slowed Mike down. Or that injury really got to him.

And as far as Smith is concerned, it sucks. I hate that he misses most of his chances. But as much as you like a guy...he can't finish and its been like this for years...you have to part ways. Same goes with Wilson.

Smith has 9G on 123 shots this season for a shooting percentage of 7.3%

Wilson has 4G on 75 shots and a shooting percentage of 5.3%. That is 450th in the NHL.

It's time to move on from these 2, or atleast one.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I want to see Wilson and Smith both in the lineup for 5-10 games with RyJo. Wilson was actually playing quite well prior to injury. We have all said numerous times over the last several years that adding a 1c will push forwards down into their appropriate role. Let's see what happen's when our wingers are put in the right spot. Calle is not a top 6 winger. Fiala is getting there. Slotting Wilson back in the lineup is an upgrade at this point.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I want to see Wilson and Smith both in the lineup for 5-10 games with RyJo. Wilson was actually playing quite well prior to injury. We have all said numerous times over the last several years that adding a 1c will push forwards down into their appropriate role. Let's see what happen's when our wingers are put in the right spot. Calle is not a top 6 winger. Fiala is getting there. Slotting Wilson back in the lineup is an upgrade at this point.

To be fair, Wilson's "playing quite well" was no different than Smith. They both can play well but neither are getting results. That said, I don't know we have better options. Two lines full of Neal and Johansen's just doesn't exist.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
To be fair, Wilson's "playing quite well" was no different than Smith. They both can play well but neither are getting results. That said, I don't know we have better options. Two lines full of Neal and Johansen's just doesn't exist.

He had 3 g / 4 a in his last 8 games. He was carrying the puck well. He was one of the best forwards in most of those games. His play was excellent, IMO.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wilson was actually starting to turn the corner it looked like, but as it always seems to happen when he starts warming up, he gets hurt. This time was no different.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Oh my God. Fisher has been terrible. I know he's 35 and had that knee injury, but my lord...he glides EVERYWHERE and hasn't done a thing. He's as you have said..MIA. it sucks.

35GP 5G 4A 9PTS averaging 18:01 TOI per game.

Last year: 59GP 19G 20A 39pts averaged 18:26

Father time has caught up and slowed Mike down. Or that injury really got to him.

And as far as Smith is concerned, it sucks. I hate that he misses most of his chances. But as much as you like a guy...he can't finish and its been like this for years...you have to part ways. Same goes with Wilson.

Smith has 9G on 123 shots this season for a shooting percentage of 7.3%

Wilson has 4G on 75 shots and a shooting percentage of 5.3%. That is 450th in the NHL.

It's time to move on from these 2, or atleast one.

If it were to happen ....both move...which I don't think would happen unless we get a good return ...and if either are moved ...whom do you think would do better ?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I'd take Smith over Fisher right now.... Fisher is MIA everywhere....

Unless Fish wants to take one for the team and retire we are still gonna' have the most grossly overpaid 4th line FO expert in the league next year, even after Goose goes....

My hope is this will at least encourage Poile to move Goose at the trading deadline for a pick - cause I don't for a minute think he'll deal Fish....

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Unless Fish wants to take one for the team and retire we are still gonna' have the most grossly overpaid 4th line FO expert in the league next year, even after Goose goes....

My hope is this will at least encourage Poile to move Goose at the trading deadline for a pick - cause I don't for a minute think he'll deal Fish....
I read this wrong and thought you said trade Goose for a puck. Not the worst trade either, but yeah a pick would be better.

And no way Fisher is going anywhere.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

You are assuming that Poile does not offer Goose another contract. Poile and Lavi both like the guy. So do not be surprised if he gets a 1 or 2 year offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad