Player Discussion Craig Smith

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
smith stays healthy... he hasnt missed more than 6 games in a season in forever

he shoots a lot.. at least 2 shots per game every year... even more some seasons

he has averaged under 15 min ice for his career... last year was under 14 mins... but he still averages around 20 goals/40 ish points per year... so pretty outstanding production for his limited icetime

he has at least 20 goals in 5 of last 7 seasons... would have gotten it again last year if the season didnt get cut short...

26% in shootouts... so along with kase that gives us 2 guys better than average... it will help us some in the regular season

one warning stat... his points in playoffs sucks... but then again so does Nashville in general

he plays very similar to debrusk... we have had a hard time finding the right linemate for debrusk... I dont think krejci will be the correct center for these 2 bookends. time to put coyle with a couple guys that can score

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Watched the 1/2 hour season ticket zoom Thursday and the media one today

My experience with him is he’s brutally honest and doesn’t BS so I believed what he said about Rask

he mentioned in season ticket zoom and I posted it they will have a RW and depth D....it’s there from Thursday on HF and he signed Miller and Smith. Where he was wrong was he said (Friday) but Sweeney in today’s seem to indicate they were close yesterday - and Dom texted me 9 last night it was going down either last night or probably tomorrow which it did

Sweeney after one other guy who was on my top 3 list ~ however, he’s willing to see if Frederic, Studnicka, Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon, and Vaakanainen can play

it’s fair let’s find out if we have players ~ that’s 4 first round and 2 second rounders

its time

Who's the other guy?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Just to let you know; I was talking to a few members on the Nashville board. A couple guys told me he's never on the Penalty Kill.. BUT everything else you posted is same as they said..

The vast majority said Preds would of paid that and they wish they did..They think Boston got an excellent deal and he should be successful in Beantown..

Many cheers PB37, hope you and your family remain to stay safe during those troubling times.

Thanks man, you as well <3

Reactions: nfld77

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I'm glad you're starting to feel better and thank you :)

Brother, that's very thoughtful of you and thank you..Rest assured I dont have to go very far to find someone who has it worst than me... I have DDD from my lower back to neck plus arthritis has settled into the discs in my back..Severe pain but I have plenty of painkillers to help allieve the pain somewhat.....

Reactions: Gordoff

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
His shooting pct is usually around 10%, so he's not even close to 11th or 15th. He does like to shoot though, so that will create more opportunities for rebounds, as opposed to too many guys on the team passing it around looking for the perfect shot.

Well it's obviously not shooting%..I'll see if I can find what I read earlier..Sorry for misleading you

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
smith stays healthy... he hasnt missed more than 6 games in a season in forever

he shoots a lot.. at least 2 shots per game every year... even more some seasons

he has averaged under 15 min ice for his career... last year was under 14 mins... but he still averages around 20 goals/40 ish points per year... so pretty outstanding production for his limited icetime

he has at least 20 goals in 5 of last 7 seasons... would have gotten it again last year if the season didnt get cut short...

26% in shootouts... so along with kase that gives us 2 guys better than average... it will help us some in the regular season

one warning stat... his points in playoffs sucks... but then again so does Nashville in general

he plays very similar to debrusk... we have had a hard time finding the right linemate for debrusk... I dont think krejci will be the correct center for these 2 bookends. time to put coyle with a couple guys that can score

Good post. All makes sense to me.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
He will fit with Coyle.Solid add but not the top 6 guy again that they need

Exactly. Just hope the expectation isn't 25 goals and top-6 production. It's a really good signing in the sense of value... and it's a position of need. Contract very unlikely to hurt you in the way that Backes/Beleskey hurt you.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Watched the 1/2 hour season ticket zoom Thursday and the media one today

My experience with him is he’s brutally honest and doesn’t BS so I believed what he said about Rask

he mentioned in season ticket zoom and I posted it they will have a RW and depth D....it’s there from Thursday on HF and he signed Miller and Smith. Where he was wrong was he said (Friday) but Sweeney in today’s seem to indicate they were close yesterday - and Dom texted me 9 last night it was going down either last night or probably tomorrow which it did

Sweeney after one other guy who was on my top 3 list ~ however, he’s willing to see if Frederic, Studnicka, Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon, and Vaakanainen can play

it’s fair let’s find out if we have players ~ that’s 4 first round and 2 second rounders

its time

So Hall is the guy. If they get him, then there’s a chain reaction of other move(s)? If not they’re going young? There’s really not a lot of room for the forwards.

Marchand — Bergeron — Pastrnak
DeBrusk — Krejci — Smith
Bjork — Coyle — Kase
????? — Kuraly — Wagner

Seemingly one spot for Frederic, Studnicka, Senyshyn, and Ritchie to fight over. You could do some shuffling to make it work (Kuraly/Wagner to LW). They really need to add Hall haha

Defensively it’s much easier to add those guys to the lineup but it doesn’t seem wise to choose NOW to throw darts at the board to see what sticks.

Grzelcyk — McAvoy
Lauzon — Carlo
Zboril — Clifton
Chara
Miller

send Vaakanainen down as he doesn’t need waivers if he doesn’t seriously impress.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If this is what it ends up being and they aren't in on Pietrangelo to replace Krug...that's a total failure.

I don’t even consider Pietrangelo an option. They haven’t talked to his agent. Also sounds like he ends up in Vegas.

Did you mean to quote the defensive lines? What you said didn’t line up with the forward portion haha

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I am talking about the team in general. If those are the forward lines while they also lost Krug, it's a failure of an offseason.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So Hall is the guy. If they get him, then there’s a chain reaction of other move(s)? If not they’re going young? There’s really not a lot of room for the forwards.

Marchand — Bergeron — Pastrnak
DeBrusk — Krejci — Smith
Bjork — Coyle — Kase
????? — Kuraly — Wagner

Seemingly one spot for Frederic, Studnicka, Senyshyn, and Ritchie to fight over. You could do some shuffling to make it work (Kuraly/Wagner to LW). They really need to add Hall haha

Defensively it’s much easier to add those guys to the lineup but it doesn’t seem wise to choose NOW to throw darts at the board to see what sticks.

Grzelcyk — McAvoy
Lauzon — Carlo
Zboril — Clifton
Chara
Miller

send Vaakanainen down as he doesn’t need waivers if he doesn’t seriously impress.
See my post

they absolutely deal DeBrusk

he gone

me? Wheel him and Moore & whatever else it takes to get Hanifan

regardless get Hall and trade

Grzelcyk probably not signed until they figure this out

doubt he hits arbitration

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
See my post

they absolutely deal DeBrusk

he gone

me? Wheel him and Moore & whatever else it takes to get Hanifan

regardless get Hall and trade

Grzelcyk probably not signed until they figure this out

doubt he hits arbitration

Do you think they deal DeBrusk regardless?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sister, that's very thoughtful of you and thank you..Rest assured I dont have to go very far to find someone who has it worst than me... I have DDD from my lower back to neck plus arthritis has settled into the discs in my back..Severe pain but I have plenty of painkillers to help allieve the pain somewhat.....

Fixed it for you. No worries :)

Reactions: nfld77

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Man this is a great signing. He and Coyle will be beasts together. If Bjork can find some consistency and offense this year this is a solid 3rd line.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Man this is a great signing. He and Coyle will be beasts together. If Bjork can find some consistency and offense this year this is a solid 3rd line.

Im not sure he’s playing third line with Coyle. Unless Krejci is demoted and Coyle is your 2nd line center (but no point doing this right now). In a perfect world that’s where he is but as of right now, Smith is your clear cut 2nd best RW.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Im not sure he’s playing third line with Coyle. Unless Krejci is demoted and Coyle is your 2nd line center (but no point doing this right now). In a perfect world that’s where he is but as of right now, Smith is your clear cut 2nd best RW.
I could see a scenario where Smith is with Bergeron and Marchand to drop Pasta with Krejci.

Marchand Bergeron Smith
?? Krejci Pasta
?? Coyle Kase/Studnicka

I still think a LW is coming in and 2/3 of Bjork,Debrusk, Kase leave for a left D.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I could see a scenario where Smith is with Bergeron and Marchand to drop Pasta with Krejci.

Marchand Bergeron Smith
?? Krejci Pasta
?? Coyle Kase/Studnicka

I still think a LW is coming in and 2/3 of Bjork,Debrusk, Kase leave for a left D.

I would love a 3rd line LW with size/physicality/skill like a Greenway, Wood, Bennett (always open to suggestions to excite myself) but I’d be fine with Bjork getting the look. Leave him there and give him a chance. If he falls flat, you know what you have and you address that spot come TDL.

Studnicka, I’d prefer in the NHL but one more year in the AHL wouldn’t be bad.

Kase is an NHLer and I think he with Coyle would also be sweet. If Bjork hits, that third line would be exciting. But that’s a big “if”.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad