Craig Patrick re-joins the Penguins as Pro Scout

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm kind of surprised that I didn't see a thread on this. Long-time ex- General Manager of the Penguins from 1989-2006 Craig Patrick has been re-hired by the Penguins to work in the role of a Professional Scout.

I'm not going to go through Craig's resumé, as I'm sure most of you are familiar with his accomplishments.

My initial thought on this move is that Jimmy Rutherford and Mario want another set of trusted eyes to scout out some potential trading pieces to shake up this roster and get the boys rolling. Although Craig Patrick is getting up there in age, 72 years old, I think he can still be trusted to do good work for the Penguins.

What do you guys think of this move, and what do you think it will yield?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He probably needed the $ and Mario’s doing him a favor. Alain or Lucky Pierre will be coming in next.

Believe it or not, Pierre's actually an owner. IDK if it's a wine bottle's worth of shares or what, but Larouche owns a stake.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's held these jobs since leaving the Pens, albeit teams have called his position many different things. I just think Craig is like a hockey consultant at this point. He can help a team scout, he can help a team manage. At 72 why would he want a full time gig, but if he gets called in for spot duty every once in a while, that'd probably be a pretty nice gig.

Reactions: td_ice

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wasn't Patrick one of the last to embrace technology and fell behind? If I am remembering right it is an odd marriage with a team so obsessed with analytics. Although scouting would I suppose call for more of an eye and less of computers.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wasn't Patrick one of the last to embrace technology and fell behind? If I am remembering right it is an odd marriage with a team so obsessed with analytics. Although scouting would I suppose call for more of an eye and less of computers.

Jack Johnson 5 years

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Jack Johnson 5 years

Currently, the Pens need to stay as far away from analytics as possible. It's given them hope on too many reclamation projects because "the numbers of this or that aren't that bad, he'll get back to the mean!" Meanwhile, dudes are healthy scratched and look like crap.

Reactions: Brandinho

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Believe it or not, Pierre's actually an owner. IDK if it's a wine bottle's worth of shares or what, but Larouche owns a stake.
Huh. Either didn’t know that or forgot. I guess he owns enough to gain admission to Mario’s box for each game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->