News Article: Craig Morgan writes article aimed directly at Forum 40

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I came in here to see some haters flailing about and reassuring each other, I was not disappointed.

damage-control-damage_zps0a6b8bbd.jpg

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

There's haters and there's people who scream 'haters' and 'hating' way too easy towards those who practice something known as objectivity. Also, I love the irony as of late by those who make accusations of hating and yet have shown in the past to be hating on Glendale with such garbage as "Glendale has never done anything for the Coyotes Fans." or referring to those who work in public office as a bunch of 'dumb hicks'. I feel bad for any of those council members who have voted to help keep the Coyotes in AZ get referred to a bunch of 'dumb hicks' by those who are hating on Glendale and accuse others of hating in the process.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I came in here to see some haters flailing about

You take some of this back and forth too seriously. I think Tippett makes snap judgements on guys and is consistently too stubborn when things don't work (Boedker back on the point, Chip in the top six, overworking netminder). I don't hate Chipchura. He's just an obvious symptom of our coach's and front office's weaknesses. Like "good guy" Moss. Hence the finger pointing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You take some of this back and forth too seriously. I think Tippett makes snap judgements on guys and is consistently too stubborn when things don't work (Boedker back on the point, Chip in the top six, overworking netminder). I don't hate Chipchura. He's just an obvious symptom of our coach's and front office's weaknesses. Like "good guy" Moss. Hence the finger pointing.

I don't think anyone is apologizing just stating their opinion. Just like you with this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I mostly harp on Chipchura bc I love seeing the board's apologists spring into action.
I think that's the case with most of the chipchura "haters". I do think he gets way too much time, and that is a knock on tip (his strange attachment to random scrubs and how he often plays them above their proper roles), but I, and I hope others, don't really think he's the reason we have and do suck as a team. It's a factor for sure, but nothing as major as our general lack of talent, inconsistent defense and goal tending, and putrid powerplay. What confuses me is when the chip defenders come in and say he's not the reason we're losing. I don't follow the boards nearly as often as last year, but I don't think many, if any, posters actually argue that he is. It's more of a running joke on how he keeps getting more and more chances after being a waste of space.

He actually had a good game last night, he's had a few this year. Hopefully we don't bring him back, I'd bet the house he'd regress to last year's form since he wouldn't be playing for a contract.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Tipchura played his role last night. My issue is when Chippett puts him in situations he's not suited for, which is way too often.

Agreed. There is no reason Chip should be playing next to Domi. None whatsoever. Sometimes I feel like players that have been here for a while look for Domi and try to do way too much to get him the puck. But it's so frustrating when Domi hands the puck off to Chip and he coughs it up and the puck winds up the other way. Domi seems like a kid with a great head on his shoulders, so he's not going to be too bothered by it. It is what it is, but a kid with the talent he has deserves better than Chip being out there with him.

Lots of try, but lots of fail along with that try.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The article may not be wrong but it's very, very weak. No compelling cases made without glaring counterpoints. At least he acknowledged them but did NOTHING in the way of discrediting them.

When I was a beat reporter for the team there is one player in particular that actually flourished under Dave Tippett and that's David Schlemko.

When he first came up with the team he was a defensive liability in his own end and in transition. I remember one game in particular on the road (if memory serves) against the Penguins where he allowed a goal that was so bad he was sent down to the minors after that.

After some time he came back to the club a different player and stayed with the club ever since (during his time on the Coyotes).

Tippett gives players more than enough chances to succeed before making a move. Wojtek Wolksi is a prime example of a player given more than enough chances to succeed with the club before being traded (got a great story about that).

Point is that Tippett is a great assessor of talent and if someone is being sent down or needs to spend a year down in the AHL or gets traded, there's a reason for it.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
When I was a beat reporter for the team there is one player in particular that actually flourished under Dave Tippett and that's David Schlemko.

When he first came up with the team he was a defensive liability in his own end and in transition. I remember one game in particular on the road (if memory serves) against the Penguins where he allowed a goal that was so bad he was sent down to the minors after that.

After some time he came back to the club a different player and stayed with the club ever since (during his time on the Coyotes).

Tippett gives players more than enough chances to succeed before making a move. Wojtek Wolksi is a prime example of a player given more than enough chances to succeed with the club before being traded (got a great story about that).

Point is that Tippett is a great assessor of talent and if someone is being sent down or needs to spend a year down in the AHL or gets traded, there's a reason for it.

I agree with you in that Tip, as well as DM, are excellent at evaluating talent, and also know how to bring along young guys appropriately.

Turris is the only young player that left Arizona and thrived else where. Now he wanted out, had a contract dispute, we got a good return for him, so there were plenty of circumstances. Other young players have developed well under Tip like OEL/Hanzal/Reider. Some would say Bods was rushed by TGO and has been stifled by Tip's system. But, Bods is a solid all around player. We might find out next year if he breaks out with another club/another system as a UFA, but I doubt he does much better some place else. Runblad/Gormley look like busts, but to be fair, it is still a little early to say that for sure.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I agree with you in that Tip, as well as DM, are excellent at evaluating talent, and also know how to bring along young guys appropriately.

Turris is the only young player that left Arizona and thrived else where. Now he wanted out, had a contract dispute, we got a good return for him, so there were plenty of circumstances. Other young players have developed well under Tip like OEL/Hanzal/Reider. Some would say Bods was rushed by TGO and has been stifled by Tip's system. But, Bods is a solid all around player. We might find out next year if he breaks out with another club/another system as a UFA, but I doubt he does much better some place else. Runblad/Gormley look like busts, but to be fair, it is still a little early to say that for sure.

I'll just say this about Turris....

Tippett told him the things he needs to do to fix his game and he refused to listen. These aspects of his game have yet to be fixed.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
They got revoked about four or so years ago for a reason that still has yet to be explained to me. I switched to regular NHL and am happier now.

A little off topic, but I'm glad to see you back. I always kind of felt bad for you. You were bold, and wrote articles on sometimes touchy subjects or controversial items, and due to stubborn people who hated other people's opinions that didn't agree with theirs, i remember some of our posters would **** on you and criticize you for the dumbest reasons. Just because they didn't like what you had to say about a subject they were sensitive to, they would nitpick and harp on you for stupid **** like grammar or punctuation. The epitome of butt hurt, stubborn forum fans.

I just want to say i always enjoy you articles and admire your boldness. I think you're a great writer and I'm happy you found a new gig. Hope to see more your pieces on our forum in the future and i appreciate your hard work. We need you to be doing the in-person interviews. Someone who's not afraid to ask the uncomfortable question that everyone wants answered :laugh:

Keep doin your thing Dole, again i appreciate it.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
A little off topic, but I'm glad to see you back. I always kind of felt bad for you. You were bold, and wrote articles on sometimes touchy subjects or controversial items, and due to stubborn people who hated other people's opinions that didn't agree with theirs, i remember some of our posters would **** on you and criticize you for the dumbest reasons. Just because they didn't like what you had to say about a subject they were sensitive to, they would nitpick and harp on you for stupid **** like grammar or punctuation. The epitome of butt hurt, stubborn forum fans.

I just want to say i always enjoy you articles and admire your boldness. I think you're a great writer and I'm happy you found a new gig. Hope to see more your pieces on our forum in the future and i appreciate your hard work. We need you to be doing the in-person interviews. Someone who's not afraid to ask the uncomfortable question that everyone wants answered :laugh:

Keep doin your thing Dole, again i appreciate it.

Thanks! I sincerely appreciate it!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I may not know what a beat writer is but I thought you were what is considered a "blogger". Though if nothing is ever actually printed anymore, what's the difference?

jmichael7753*

Jan 24, 2009
Agreed. I usually like Craig's stuff, but this is a fluff piece.

I notice that Craig didn't write anything to "dispel the myth" that Tippett shows favoritism towards his guys, who are usually broken-down journeyman players, for some inexplicable reason.

A good example of this is Tippett personally reaching out to Maloney after FA last year to try and get Moss back on the roster, and proceeding to calling him a "solid NHL player", who "doesn't make a lot of mistakes", and who's "greatest value comes at protecting leads", last February when Moss had yet to score a goal up until that point.

I'm also not quick to forget the Andrew Campbell experience, or Chipchura being played as a top-6 center for several stretches of time, going on three consecutive seasons now.

The only reason Moss wasn't back this year was bring boyd Gordon back. Moss was a very solid defensive forward. I would've welcomed him back with open arms. I was petitioning for them to re-sign him last year. for what he was paid he did his job well.

Andrew Campbell came in and did an amicable job on the back end. wasn't flashy but was solid. as for chip there was a lot of times last year when he was by far the best player on the ice so yeah he deserved a top 6 spot.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I may not know what a beat writer is but I thought you were what is considered a "blogger". Though if nothing is ever actually printed anymore, what's the difference?

Beat writer is someone who attends practices/games for every game. The only difference was that I was considered a blogger by the team even though I was on the beat but actually doing a startup literally from the ground up.

At the time it was a black and white situation. You were either MSM or a blogger. There wasn't any consideration for what I was doing as a bootstrapping startup.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The only reason Moss wasn't back this year was bring boyd Gordon back. Moss was a very solid defensive forward. I would've welcomed him back with open arms. I was petitioning for them to re-sign him last year. for what he was paid he did his job well.

Andrew Campbell came in and did an amicable job on the back end. wasn't flashy but was solid. as for chip there was a lot of times last year when he was by far the best player on the ice so yeah he deserved a top 6 spot.

QoqOby7.gif

Is this just a witty, sarcastic response with a lot of dry humor, or are you being serious? I literally can't even tell.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad