Confirmed with Link: Craig Morgan and Cat Silverman join The Athletic as Coyotes beat writers.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tip: If you want a cheaper rate (than the already 30% off), sign up for the trial and then cancel. They'll send you a 40% off link the next day. Then wait one more day and they'll send you a link for 50% off.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Athletic is my first foray into the subscription business model. We'll see how it goes. I'm not keen on the model - too easy to keep paying for services that aren't used.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Pay the $3/month. Highly worth it.
Overall yes. Morgan seems to have potential to thrive under this format. Silverman's stuff is a 'meh' from me.

The NHL-wide stuff is pretty good. The stats stuff can get pretty pretentious.

Philly, Toronto and Montreal fans are everywhere in the comment sections.

I've been in since the beginning and it's really starting to hit its stride.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
The Athletic is my first foray into the subscription business model. We'll see how it goes. I'm not keen on the model - too easy to keep paying for services that aren't used.
I've been in since the beginning, and I didn't get a notice that my sub was up. It just took payment before I could remember, so I'm in for another year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
It's because copypasta from a pay site is a copyright violation and HF would be the liable party.
What if someone would type up an article and post it? That wouldn't be copypasta :P

I believe you can quote excerpts with commentary though (fair use--as long as it's not the "heart"/central point of the article) without it violating copyright (depending on what The Athletic specifies on the site)

On a side note: Doing a quick fair use check, however, you could parody the article (with comical intent) as a part of "fair use" without violating copyright :P

Reactions: _Del_

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What about print screens of the entire article with MLA citations?

We could finally use this post college.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
They have a student discount, $30 for the whole year. I've only had it for a few days, and I've been really enjoying it. I've read NHL, NCAA football, and NFL coverage, but it's all been very good. There's only been 2 articles I didn't really enjoy, vs....... I've lost count already.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I just ponied up the dough, because why not? If they have dedicated writers to our teams, or any team I follow really, why not? It's more than I can say for the local media really. I'm curious what the articles might be like though. Granted, I'm sure we will get the game recaps, but I just read a bit of one by Craig about the young kids and how difficult it will be to crack the roster. Had quotes from GMJC, it was good. If they are producing articles that are in depth, and give me more insight to the behind the scenes and such, I'm all for it. Plus it's relatively cheap for sports related info. Sure, I could get the same garbage as usual from espn, fox, other outlets, but I like the fact that they are devoted to a particular team in their writing. Might become homer style articles, but so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad