Prospect Info: Craig Button's Final Draft List

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I always wait to see what Bob McKenzie's list looks like, before I say yay or nay to Button's list. Button likes to give more importance to "trending" players vs those who have established themselves over years. Always difficult to judge because teams may have scouted certain players for a long time and so his rankings can be a bit misleading. He tends to basically say, "At this point...these are the rankings of the best players." Which isn't wrong, just not how a draft is going to go, necessarily.

Button's list is individual, it is also a ton closer to how our team lists actually look. It isn't a consensus ranking and that is important. Even an individual team list is a lot more volatile than what Bobby Mac's list looks like. For instance I have a friend that works in another organization that had Zadina at #19 last year, didn't like him that much. Loved our draft because his board had our other high picks in the first and second above him. The pros have a lot more variance in their list than your typical HF poster. They study these guys for several years, also as you get more comfortable at it they really do allow certain guys to go away entirely as do not draft players and people to rise up the board that others think are second or third rounders.

It has been said a lot and I think years ago the Vancouver board did leak, but you guys/gals would be stunned if you actually saw the Wings draft board entering the draft. It isn't going to look like McKenzie's list, none of the teams will. That list is compiled while taking all their boards together.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Button's list is individual, it is also a ton closer to how our team lists actually look. It isn't a consensus ranking and that is important. Even an individual team list is a lot more volatile than what Bobby Mac's list looks like. For instance I have a friend that works in another organization that had Zadina at #19 last year, didn't like him that much. Loved our draft because his board had our other high picks in the first and second above him. The pros have a lot more variance in their list than your typical HF poster. They study these guys for several years, also as you get more comfortable at it they really do allow certain guys to go away entirely as do not draft players and people to rise up the board that others think are second or third rounders.

It has been said a lot and I think years ago the Vancouver board did leak, but you guys/gals would be stunned if you actually saw the Wings draft board entering the draft. It isn't going to look like McKenzie's list, none of the teams will. That list is compiled while taking all their boards together.

I'd take this one step further and say that Button's list probably looks like the list of a single scout within one organization, that ultimately he has to stand behind and justify in the development of the team's final rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->