Confirmed with Link: Craig Anderson signs 2-year extension with Senators

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The problem with having no money is that you always have to try and get something done through the bargin bin...

If you think there would be a goale available that has Andersons resume,and would be willing to sign in Ottawa for 2 seasons or less ,at the dollar amount he received...Then I dont think its me that needs to wake up

And what a baragain Anderson’s contract is. Right?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And what a baragain Anderson’s contract is. Right?
After the seasons in which he pretty much carried us,this team would never had made the playoffs without his goaltending...We have been laughably outshot almost every season for the last 5 ...And we could easily replace what he has brought to us on a 2 year deal with just anyone right??

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
After the seasons in which he pretty much carried us,this team would never had made the playoffs without his goaltending...We have been laughably outshot almost every season for the last 5 ...And we could easily replace what he has brought to us on a 2 year deal with just anyone right??

I never said we could replace him with anyone, and I wasn’t against re-signing him. I agree with you that the options for other goalies in free agency aren’t great. No question about that. Here’s what I didn’t like about the deal when it was announced.

1. Timing. Why did it need to be done before the season started? Why not go into the season and see how he plays before extending him? Even just wait a couple of months. If they had done that maybe they trade him, maybe they keep him and maybe he gets a different deal. Less term, less money or maybe both. He would not have been bargaining from a position of strength.

2. Term. Why two years? One year is fine, but why two? He’s 37 years old. It’s not unreasonable to think he might not be as good as he gets older. He may lose some lateral mobility for example if he hasn’t already. How many goalies can you think of that played at a high level into their late 30’s? And if you want to name hall of famers, fine, but Anderson is not a hall of famer.

I don’t really want to keep going back and forth with on you in this, so I’ll leave you with one final thought.

Right now no one can say whether this is a good or bad deal because the extension hasn’t started yet. We can debate whether we like it right now or not, or liked it back when it was announced, but all it comes down to is how Craig Anderson plays the next two seasons. If he gives us above average goaltending, I’m happy and will gladly admit I was wrong. If he gives us below average goaltending, I won’t be happy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If we could trade Anderson for something & sign Cam Ward for two yrs at a cheaper salary I would do it. Ward is slightly younger & at least as good with a cup ring & Conn Smyth Trophy. Given how Darling has played this yr though, it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina just re-signs him for a couple of yrs.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I never said we could replace him with anyone, and I wasn’t against re-signing him. I agree with you that the options for other goalies in free agency aren’t great. No question about that. Here’s what I didn’t like about the deal when it was announced.

1. Timing. Why did it need to be done before the season started? Why not go into the season and see how he plays before extending him? Even just wait a couple of months. If they had done that maybe they trade him, maybe they keep him and maybe he gets a different deal. Less term, less money or maybe both. He would not have been bargaining from a position of strength.

2. Term. Why two years? One year is fine, but why two? He’s 37 years old. It’s not unreasonable to think he might not be as good as he gets older. He may lose some lateral mobility for example if he hasn’t already. How many goalies can you think of that played at a high level into their late 30’s? And if you want to name hall of famers, fine, but Anderson is not a hall of famer.

I don’t really want to keep going back and forth with on you in this, so I’ll leave you with one final thought.

Right now no one can say whether this is a good or bad deal because the extension hasn’t started yet. We can debate whether we like it right now or not, or liked it back when it was announced, but all it comes down to is how Craig Anderson plays the next two seasons. If he gives us above average goaltending, I’m happy and will gladly admit I was wrong. If he gives us below average goaltending, I won’t be happy.
The problem with being such a budget restrained team... Is contracts like this,we cant afford to sign a goalie or any decent player in F/A ...So we always have to look for the team friendly deal...

You always seem to think the player has no say or leverage,but Andy did ...He carried this team into the third round, and knew that Ottawa has no money to get a replacement comparable to his level ...

In short we have no damn money to hard ball with anyone,when it comes to contracts

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The problem with being such a budget restrained team... Is contracts like this,we cant afford to sign a goalie or any decent player in F/A ...So we always have to look for the team friendly deal...

You always seem to think the player has no say or leverage,but Andy did ...He carried this team into the third round, and knew that Ottawa has no money to get a replacement comparable to his level ...

In short we have no damn money to hard ball with anyone,when it comes to contracts

We’re spending 8 million on our goalies for next year. A lot of teams don’t spend that much at that position.

Anderson is being paid 5.5 next year. That’s not peanuts. For that kind of money I expect him to be no worse than a top 15 goalie in the league. Let’s see if he can do it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We’re spending 8 million on our goalies for next year. A lot of teams don’t spend that much at that position.

Anderson is being paid 5.5 next year. That’s not peanuts. For that kind of money I expect him to be no worse than a top 15 goalie in the league. Let’s see if he can do it.

Our goalies have shown they are worth 8 million.. I mean they were both just signed right? Dorion is just too smart and too good a GM to overpay at that position when he knows he has so many other important and expensive pieces to sign.

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Again ,you seem to be missing the point....EM wants to make the playoffs every year to make money....However he wants it on the cheap with no large/long term commitments ,hense the two year deal to Anderson...

Remember we will never take on huge money in any trade,nor will we sign any large ticket FA ever...So we play the nickel contract term game ..You want a better goaltender???Then it starts at 8 mil plus with far more than 2 seasons attached

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Again ,you seem to be missing the point....EM wants to make the playoffs every year to make money....However he wants it on the cheap with no large/long term commitments ,hense the two year deal to Anderson...

Remember we will never take on huge money in any trade,nor will we sign any large ticket FA ever...So we play the nickel contract term game ..You want a better goaltender???Then it starts at 8 mil plus with far more than 2 seasons attached

Are you arguing 5.5 is nothing for a starting goalie? Face it, Anderson did not give us a hometown discount. He should have been given one year around 3.5 million.

Is 2.5 for a backup cheap too? Because that’s what Condon is making next year.

Also, if Melnyk wants no long term contracts, what do you say about Ryan?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we could trade Anderson for something & sign Cam Ward for two yrs at a cheaper salary I would do it. Ward is slightly younger & at least as good with a cup ring & Conn Smyth Trophy. Given how Darling has played this yr though, it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina just re-signs him for a couple of yrs.

Ward sucks now and his trophies are a good 12 years away, we’re better off hoping Andy rebounds.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Are you arguing 5.5 is nothing for a starting goalie? Face it, Anderson did not give us a hometown discount.

Is 2.5 for a backup cheap too? Because that’s what Condon is making next year.
The two combine for what an actual starting goalie would make ...What part are you missing here???The budget causes far more issues than you seem to realise....We cant take risks ,on losing a player like Andy because we wont get anything close to what he is capable on the market ....You keep thinking we play hardball ,but you cant do that when you have no money ....

EM wants to make the playoffs every season,for next to nothing...That puts huge pressure on everything,we sell picks to save money ...We trade younger players because we cant commit money long term unless its a for sure thing,hello Zibby.ETC etc ...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The two combine for what an actual starting goalie would make ...What part are you missing here???The budget causes far more issues than you seem to realise....We cant take risks ,on losing a player like Andy because we wont get anything close to what he is capable on the market ....You keep thinking we play hardball ,but you cant do that when you have no money ....

EM wants to make the playoffs every season,for next to nothing...That puts huge pressure on everything,we sell picks to save money ...We trade younger players because we cant commit money long term unless its a for sure thing,hello Zibby.ETC etc ...

How many goalies make 8 million? Jesus, you’re infuriating.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And you are not???Lets just blame the GM he is a moron blah blah blah...Look at the issue with some logic,every move this team has made since the Murray years has been money motivated....

Yeah, let’s just blame the owner for everything. Eugene spends no money! BS!

Why do you even cheere for this team if you think we have no chance to compete? Go cheer for a cap team then.

I’m so sick of Sens fans who put no blame on anyone but Melnyk. Get your head out of your ass.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We traded a 3rd rounder to rid ourselves of that cap killing contract that we gave Hammond...Come on if you cant see the forest through the trees there ,I cant help you

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, let’s just blame the owner for everything. Eugene spends no money! BS!

Why do you even cheere for this team if you think we have no chance to compete? Go cheer for a cap team then.
Are you for real here or just being dellusional???Do you honestly think we can ice a elite team,with the budget restraints we have???We cant even afford a proper scouting staff

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont understand why you are upset at me here ,you do know iam right...As do many of the other posters here...We cant realistically move forward unless the shackles come off and the owner starts putting the team first..Instead of his profit margin

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dont understand why you are upset at me here ,you do know iam right...As do many of the other posters here...We cant realistically move forward unless the shackles come off and the owner starts putting the team first..Instead of his profit margin

....so why cheer the team for overpaying Andy and Condon?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Have to agree, it all starts at the top. Look at the Clippers and their old ownership until Sterling got booted for being a racist POS. Look at the Panthers ownership group, they’re terrible. The Predators old and new ownership group is also night and day as well as the Blackhawks.

I still cheer because of the players, not our garbage owner. And also the slight chance of hope that we get lucky.

You can be bad with a good owner, but how many teams are good with a bad owner?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
....so why cheer the team for overpaying Andy and Condon?
Why is my fan loyality being called into question here????Iam just calling it how I see it....EM is the entire reason as to why we have been spinning our wheels...Our GM,s cant do a damn thing without his say so when it comes to any sort of contract....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why is my fan loyality being called into question here????Iam just calling it how I see it....EM is the entire reason as to why we have been spinning our wheels...Our GM,s cant do a damn thing without his say so when it comes to any sort of contract....

I worded that post badly. What I mean is, you have been defending the contract to Andy. If we don't have extra money to play with because of a stingy owner, that contract is one of the culprits.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I worded that post badly. What I mean is, you have been defending the contract to Andy. If we don't have extra money to play with because of a stingy owner, that contract is one of the culprits.

I think it should be one contract or the other but not both. So do the Andy contract or the Condon contract but not both.

Reactions: DrEasy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nac,if we had a owner that would spend money to help the team...Then we could have other options than just going with the status quo....Is more of where is was going my friend...

Nobody would care about a two year deal to Andy,or a paltry one year left on Burrows deal...For us though even the 1 million 1 year deal will have our owner throwing away picks so as not to pay it...The full cap and some is required to be a player in this league,otherwise you are exactly what we are...A bubble team at times ,or drafting in the lottery in others

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it should be one contract or the other but not both. So do the Andy contract or the Condon contract but not both.
That would certainly have mitigated the risk. I was a bit confused when they signed Anderson, not because he wasn't worth re-signing, but because we had a full year before it was needed and had already signed Condon to what appeared to be a prove you can be a future starter contract.

Seems Dorion thought he was going to solidify our goaltending for the next 3 (at the time) seasons, and instead locked us into a real tough spot. Rookie mistake imo, potentially the kind of thing an experienced AGM or senior advisor would have been able to steer him away from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad