Player Discussion Craig Anderson Appreciation Thread

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO it would probably make sense for Ott to retain him since it's not at all clear that they have a goalie who is ready to become a #1 on this team at least as a transition 1 or 2 yr contract. Unless they find one in the open market to replace him I don't see any of our prospect goalies including Hogberg in his first yr to lay 50 or 60 NHL games. Maybe Hogberg steals the job from him or is able to show he can be the started the following yr but who knows with goalies. Makes more sense to keep Anderson around even as a backup, mentor & goalie coach to help the young guys get NHL ready.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
4th level box seats is as close to the rafters as i would put him. But if we had a ring of honor that would be a great idea. Other than a few games from Hasek, he was our best goalie. So many games, starting with when he first got here and blew our draft position, until the end when we were astonished at how we managed to win some of these games we were clearly outplayed in, Mr Anderson, stopping pucks like they were bullets in slow motion, has been that goalie we have always wanted. I wonder how things might have been different had we had Anderson instead of Lalime for some of those playoff runs. Although that one Philly series by Lalime was pretty hard to beat.

Reactions: Beville

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Craig maybe playing one more year (rumour from hockey writers)

“He has 13 players on expiring contracts, including Craig Anderson and Anthony Duclair and speculation is that Anderson could be brought back on an inexpensive one-year deal. Duclair may have to prove his strong season wasn’t a fluke, also signing a one-year deal to get a long-term offer from the club.”

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

“He has 13 players on expiring contracts, including Craig Anderson and Anthony Duclair and speculation is that Anderson could be brought back on an inexpensive one-year deal. Duclair may have to prove his strong season wasn’t a fluke, also signing a one-year deal to get a long-term offer from the club.”
Please no, it s a joke. If Craig come back I stop watching

Reactions: Ed Wood

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Good grief... what purpose does bringing back a 39 year old goalie with 3 consecutive seasons floating around 900 sv% do? All three years, Anderson's backup had better numbers. He's replacement level at this point, time to cut bait.

If we didn't have Nilson, I might get this, have somebody to act as a mentor, but Nilsson can play that role.

I just don't get this at all, hopefully it's just speculation and has no basis in reality. Anderson was great while he was here, but the time to move on was before his current contract, little lone his next one. If he wants to stay on with the org in some other facet, that would be great, but I don't see the logic of having him fill one of our limited goalie slots when Nilsson, Hogberg, Daccord, Gustafsson and Mandolese/Sogaard all need somewhere to play.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
How many times have you ever looked at Ottawa's starting goalie and thought that he was legit starting goalie (ie; could be a starting goalie on a different playoff team for 3-4 years)?

Sidorkiewicz, Beaupre, Billington, Rhodes, Tugnutt, Lalime, Emery, Gerber, Elliott, Leclaire, Anderson, etc

Yeah, and they dealt every other good goalie in the system to accomodate him.

When 26 yo Bishop was traded, he and Lehner had combined for just under 52 full games worth of NHL experience... for a team that had historically played a rotation of back up goalies as starters. It was also during a season in which 31 yo Craig Anderson led the league SV% and GAA en route to a 4th place Vezina finish.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
How many times have you ever looked at Ottawa's starting goalie and thought that he was legit starting goalie (ie; could be a starting goalie on a different playoff team for 3-4 years)?

Sidorkiewicz, Beaupre, Billington, Rhodes, Tugnutt, Lalime, Emery, Gerber, Elliott, Leclaire, Anderson, etc

When 26 yo Bishop was traded, he and Lehner had combined for just under 52 full games worth of NHL experience... for a team that had historically played a rotation of back up goalies as starters. It was also during a season in which 31 yo Craig Anderson led the league SV% and GAA en route to a 4th place Vezina finish.

keeping Andy wasn’t the worst decision , accepting the Bishop trade return was a terrible decision.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good grief... what purpose does bringing back a 39 year old goalie with 3 consecutive seasons floating around 900 sv% do? All three years, Anderson's backup had better numbers. He's replacement level at this point, time to cut bait.

If we didn't have Nilson, I might get this, have somebody to act as a mentor, but Nilsson can play that role.

I just don't get this at all, hopefully it's just speculation and has no basis in reality. Anderson was great while he was here, but the time to move on was before his current contract, little lone his next one. If he wants to stay on with the org in some other facet, that would be great, but I don't see the logic of having him fill one of our limited goalie slots when Nilsson, Hogberg, Daccord, Gustafsson and Mandolese/Sogaard all need somewhere to play.

If he wants to keep playing .. fine.. do it somewhere else

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
f*** RIGHT OFF!

Andy, you are appreciated for your time in Ottawa, but you flat out suck now.

Either retire honorably or the club needs to cut ties. What a flippin joke.

It always amazes me just how blind a lot of pro sports players can be to their diminished ability to compete at the highest level.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Amidst the gong show of the past 3 years, this is the most often over looked story. He asked to be traded. He obviously didn't force a trade, but the request was there and he has been bad ever since. Time to cut ties.
He's also arguably a big reason for the collapse and should have been looking in the mirror, not attempting to bail and shift blame.

As bad as the team was in front of him, Anderson and Condon were as bad as goalies get that first year of the bottom falling out and had as much of a hand in it as anyone.

His legacy is in Ottawa is massively overrated.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Also, another 1 year deal for Duclair? He already signed a "show me" deal and more than lived up to his end of the bargain (season ending slowdown notwithstanding).

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->