Cpjhl junior development league

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
I can't believe your still talking about this joke of a league. Not one of your players from last year is good enough to play JR so not sure where you are going to find your players.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I can't believe your still talking about this joke of a league. Not one of your players from last year is good enough to play JR so not sure where you are going to find your players.

You very likely will see players leave the CCHL due to one reason or another and go to the CPJHL.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I was on league website two of the Ottawa area teams are co owned by the same two guy's.
How can you be a Owner/GM/ Head coach of 1 team and an owner/assistant GM/assistant coach on another team in the same league.
Both guy's are doing the same thing for both teams.

Two other teams in this league have the same GM. Both teams in cottage country.
Something very interesting about this league.

Last edited:

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
If this league is like GMHL.....parents should look to see how many kids moved onto OHL or NCAA in GMHL in the last 5 yrs. Also do the parents know playing innthis league bands them from hockey canada?
Almonte Jr B team had an owner who was from the town. He couldnt make it work.....some guy from the states isnt going to change that community. Its a football community and thats it. This league is glorified jr C if lucky.

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
If this league is like GMHL.....parents should look to see how many kids moved onto OHL or NCAA in GMHL in the last 5 yrs. Also do the parents know playing innthis league bands them from hockey canada?
Almonte Jr B team had an owner who was from the town. He couldnt make it work.....some guy from the states isnt going to change that community. Its a football community and thats it. This league is glorified jr C if lucky.

something against Almonte Jason?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Nope not at all......just didnt support the jr b team.

I am not sure any town supports their Jr B team. I have been to a Jr B game in every league and the best crowds were Gatineau and Shawville, maybe that's why they kicked them out of their league. :laugh:

Seriously though, only Renfrew on the Ontario side ever had a decent crowd.

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
I am not sure any town supports their Jr B team. I have been to a Jr B game in every league and the best crowds were Gatineau and Shawville, maybe that's why they kicked them out of their league. :laugh:

This is a funny comment, because it's so true..and it doesn't have to be. We got so bogged down in "development,", that we lost all local interest. No locals on the ice, why would the town support them?

I'd much rather a slightly lower calibre of play, but a full(er) crowd.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
This is a funny comment, because it's so true..and it doesn't have to be. We got so bogged down in "development,", that we lost all local interest. No locals on the ice, why would the town support them?

Exactly. And Renfrew uses mostly locals + Pembroke.

City teams are bringing kids in from Toronto and Southern Ontario to play, so why would I go see them.

Magic365

Feb 15, 2016
Exactly. And Renfrew uses mostly locals + Pembroke.

City teams are bringing kids in from Toronto and Southern Ontario to play, so why would I go see them.

Agreed. One thing I noticed while playing was the only out-of-towners that locals loved was always the Goon. Fan favourite no matter where they were from

Clarke74

May 7, 2015

Almontes last year had over half of their roster was local players and averaged less than 100 people per game....i think if it could work...the local owner would have kept it.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Almontes last year had over half of their roster was local players and averaged less than 100 people per game....i think if it could work...the local owner would have kept it.

The local teams were forced out by the CCHL2 and their pay to play structure....look at Prescoot winning one year and can't compete the next or Brockville where the CCHL owner ticked so many locals off the it hurt the Braves attendance....

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
The local teams were forced out by the CCHL2 and their pay to play structure....look at Prescoot winning one year and can't compete the next or Brockville where the CCHL owner ticked so many locals off the it hurt the Braves attendance....

Read the conversation....im not talking about the league im talking about a franchise.....a born and raised Almonte owner with over half local players could not make it work. This outlaw league team is going to? This is what the conversation was about not the league in General

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Read the conversation....im not talking about the league im talking about a franchise.....a born and raised Almonte owner with over half local players could not make it work. This outlaw league team is going to? This is what the conversation was about not the league in General

I thought I was following along....My point was there is no Jr program for local kids that have no NCAA or OHL aspirations to play and work for a living anymore....Outlaw league seems like a good option even if it is glorified Jr C as you say...

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

Development?
Are you joking. Development of who certainly not locals (HEO players). Winning is not development.
Winning is about winning and it does breed a great culture but winning does not develop players playing good hockey helps them get better so they can move to the next best level for them.

Hockeycaper

Feb 25, 2016
Sorry to take this on a different tangent. But teams from this CPJHL league have been contacting players directly on FB and inviting them to come to tryouts. This happened to my son in the last two days. Has anyone else had this happen?

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Development?
Are you joking. Development of who certainly not locals (HEO players). Winning is not development.
Winning is about winning and it does breed a great culture but winning does not develop players playing good hockey helps them get better so they can move to the next best level for them.

I would never want to take a "dream" away from a 16 or 17 year old but at what point to we just let the vast number of kids who will never "make it" just play hockey....I feel like all this talk of "development" and the "next level" really only applies to small number of players....I have seen too many kids, even kids who were drafted by the OHL and may have even played in the OHL put their entire life on hold trying to make a career in hockey that will never be there.

There is always some guy who will take your money with promises about development to get to the next level be it Junior or college or whatever when these kids really have no legitimate future in the game. Play as long as you love the game but why does it always have to be with the goal of "making it"?

I say let them play at the highest level they can for as long as they are having fun but stop promising the unattainable.

Reactions: Roadhog and Garyboy

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Sorry to take this on a different tangent. But teams from this CPJHL league have been contacting players directly on FB and inviting them to come to tryouts. This happened to my son in the last two days. Has anyone else had this happen?

I know two players that are invited , one played CCHL and other NOJHL.

Hockeycaper

Feb 25, 2016
I know two players that are invited , one played CCHL and other NOJHL.

Thanks for the reply, did they contact the players directly? Which is my concern. Why are they searching FB and sending D Messages to kids without informing parents. I have told my son not to reply.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Thanks for the reply, did they contact the players directly? Which is my concern. Why are they searching FB and sending D Messages to kids without informing parents. I have told my son not to reply.

Yes contacted directly and since it is an outlaw league, I don't think any rules apply. If under Hockey Canada, this wouldn't happen. Go on FB yourself and reply to them yourself, I do not think this is a very professional way of recruiting.

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
I would never want to take a "dream" away from a 16 or 17 year old but at what point to we just let the vast number of kids who will never "make it" just play hockey....I feel like all this talk of "development" and the "next level" really only applies to small number of players....I have seen too many kids, even kids who were drafted by the OHL and may have even played in the OHL put their entire life on hold trying to make a career in hockey that will never be there.

There is always some guy who will take your money with promises about development to get to the next level be it Junior or college or whatever when these kids really have no legitimate future in the game. Play as long as you love the game but why does it always have to be with the goal of "making it"?

I say let them play at the highest level they can for as long as they are having fun but stop promising the unattainable.

cough..cough Kevin A.....Cough...cough

cbart

Jul 12, 2016
Yes contacted directly and since it is an outlaw league, I don't think any rules apply. If under Hockey Canada, this wouldn't happen. Go on FB yourself and reply to them yourself, I do not think this is a very professional way of recruiting.

Definitely agree that this is not an appropriate way to recruit. Just wanted to make it clear that the Ottawa Sharpshooters/Almonte Jr Sharpshooters hockey program has never and will not ever use Facebook to directly contact players that are under age for the purpose of recruiting. All recruiting is done with the parents being present or having given consent.

Chris from the Sharpshooters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad