Phoenix CXXXVI - Coyotes up for sale again

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
An important caveat to consider that wasn't in play previously was that the NHL now has an extremely vested interest in advocating an acceptable minimum sales price considering that we're in a new expansion era. If Vegas just paid half a billion a few years ago and Seattle is going to be paying even more than that soon, there's almost assuredly no chance that the NHL would allow a sale unless the amount in question was in that ballpark, which would assuredly limit buying options in Arizona. All depends on minority/majority amount for sale, but 49-51% of $500-650 million is still a lot.

The amount we will hear is not likely to be the true value of the team (what the owner receives). Announced sale price will likely include additional funds to cover outstanding share of the debt and if the team commits to Arizona area future operating loses for some time.

Reactions: 13 others

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My reply was to a comment saying Quebec is in the wrong part of the country, Quebec has been trying to get a team back for years and the NHL kept refusing to even entertain the idea.

Arizona's ownership and the NHL failed the fans by putting a team there under such circumstances, and now the NHL stubbornly refusing to relocate the team is stupid, if you don't have time to prepare properly why not let the team move and bring one back when Arizona has a new arena and had time to prepare, make them the expansion team that you insist on making Quebec or Houston?
Given the NHLs requirements from the late 90’s expansion process that’s probably what they should have done. Every team needed an iron clad arena deal otherwise they don’t get a team. Houston had 3 bids but I don’t recall if the NHL ever narrowed it down to 1 bid from Houston so that they could work with Alexander and the city of Houston to replace the Compaq Center and this get the Toyota Center built earlier.

Honestly. If the coyotes had left and the city of Phoenix just renovated the Tsra with the same sitelines the NHL would never go back there. Look what it is takin for Seattle to correct the mistake of the early 90’s when they renovated the key to be basketball only.

Doubt Arizona would pay that to redo the TSRA.

Reactions: Edgy and Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Given the NHLs requirements from the late 90’s expansion process that’s probably what they should have done. Every team needed an iron clad arena deal otherwise they don’t get a team. Houston had 3 bids but I don’t recall if the NHL ever narrowed it down to 1 bid from Houston so that they could work with Alexander and the city of Houston to replace the Compaq Center and this get the Toyota Center built earlier.

Honestly. If the coyotes had left and the city of Phoenix just renovated the Tsra with the same sitelines the NHL would never go back there. Look what it is takin for Seattle to correct the mistake of the early 90’s when they renovated the key to be basketball only.

Doubt Arizona would pay that to redo the TSRA.

Speaking of TSRA.... there's been zippo news coming out of there too. But Phoenix is getting a new mayor elected tonight so we'll see. Sarver's got four more years before he can force the issue.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

Why would Parsons even consider buying a franchise that loses tens of millions of dollars to help subsidize Westgate? Especially with the NHL seeming content to bring in a sacrificial owner every couple of years. Between the hapless owner(s) and the NHL footing the bill there is no reason for Parsons to lose his shirt too.

Reactions: Edgy and Llama19

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Why would Parsons even consider buying a franchise that loses tens of millions of dollars to help subsidize Westgate? Especially with the NHL seeming content to bring in a sacrificial owner every couple of years. Between the hapless owner(s) and the NHL footing the bill there is no reason for Parsons to lose his shirt too.

No doubt...

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
No doubt...
Spend a dollar to make a dime or more realistically spend at least $250 million (at 50% ownership) to lose $30 million a year and not ever having a real opportunity to increase the value of the asset you just purchased. What a great opportunity!!! I can't believe that it is taking so long to make a sale. I know I know.. it's complicated:sarcasm:

Reactions: Slashers98

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Arizona comes down to the arena. 1992 is when the TSRA opened. So how did the NHL ever figure that they would get a new one that could accommodate hockey anytime in the next 2 decades in that area?

Here's the thing...

It wasn't THE NHL that said "Hey, let's move the Jets to PHX."
It was the owners who said "We'll buy the Jets IF we're allowed to move them to PHX."

The NHL said "Sure, okay" because the Jets were for sale, and no one else was buying.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
A very large majority of people here believe that the NHL has power to stop a franchise from moving. That's far from the case.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Here's the thing...

It was the owners who said "We'll buy the Jets IF we're allowed to move them to PHX."

The NHL said "Sure, okay" because the Jets were for sale, and no one else was buying.

Are you sure, Kev? I think they bought, intending to move to Minneapolis. And, they had to ask permission about that. But, I think the purchase was done already when Minneapolis City Council turned them down. Then, they had no place to go, and ended up in Phoenix.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Here's the thing...

Incorrect.

It wasn't the NHL that said "Hey, let's move the Jets to PHX."
It was the owners who said "We'll buy the Jets IF we're allowed to move them somewhere."

Burke and Gluckstern purchased the Jets. They tried to move them to Minneapolis and the Target Center. The subsidies fell through, then they ended up in Phoenix.

And the NHL did nothing to block the move as they couldn't.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Where is this new arena coming from?

Sarver the Suns owner doesn’t want to share a new one with the coyotes. Makes sense since the suns make more money as the sole tenant in a renovated TSRA.

Plus, they could increase their corporate support revenue if the coyotes are basically forced to leave without hope of a new arena.

Other cities have seen what happened in Glendale. Doubt they are interested in investing in an arena. Phoenix is the main Center so once the TSRA gets a remodel that is going to remain the main site for concerts and shows.

2022 is the date that the suns 30 year lease expires if the arena is not up to nba standards which most expect it won’t be. So we should be coming to a conclusion soon on whether Phoenix or Scotsdale is an option for the coyotes.

They honestly never stood a chance since they arrived in 1996 to a building that opened in 1992 that wasn’t configured to support nhl hockey. What city would build a brand new arena when one is under a decade old?
does sarver have enough funds to buy the coyotes?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Incorrect.

It wasn't the NHL that said "Hey, let's move the Jets to PHX."
It was the owners who said "We'll buy the Jets IF we're allowed to move them somewhere."

Burke and Gluckstern purchased the Jets. They tried to move them to Minneapolis and the Target Center. The subsidies fell through, then they ended up in Phoenix.

And the NHL did nothing to block the move as they couldn't.
And all this was going down around the time the NHL was accepting bids for expansion?

Move to Colorado, Arizona and Carolina in consecutive years then hit 3 straight years of expansion teams coming in.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I give Coyotee fans in Arizona a freakin standing ovation. As much bashing they get I cannot fathom any other fanbase enduring what they have gone through both on the ice and the constant ownership/arena/re-location Gong Show.
The fact that they get what they get as far as attendance astounds me..

You should check out the main board thread about this. I think about half the thread is people saying things like "just move the f***ing team already."

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

The person representing Parsons in his purchase of Westgate stated at the time of the sale that he wasn't interested in buying the Coyotes.

The dumpster diving tweet repost above is from Mike Muraco, a local radio personality who's broken Coyotes news in the past. But IMO he's purely speculating here like everyone else.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
actually, on a serious note, I wonder how hard the group from Quebec City would be pushing to make an offer, but I do imagine they'd have to do some serious lobbying with Bruins Owner, Habs Owners etc

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You should check out the main board thread about this. I think about half the thread is people saying things like "just move the ****ing team already."

Yes, that would never happen here on BoH, where posters are expected to behave in a mature manner, with decorum, conducting a proper academic discussion without prejudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad