Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The rentals in our neighborhood are the worst as well. As soon as the renters move in the landscapers stopped showing up like they expect these people to do the yardwork themselves. 1st house at the only entrance to the place looks like utter trash, really raising those property values.

A reasonable HOA that uses dues to improve the neighborhood is awesome. Everybody hates HOAs till you're living next to the dude who's weed forest is growing up over the hood of the broken down shell of a car parked in their front yard.
Those are not the reasons people hate HOA's though, in fact those are the reasons they were originally started. The reason most people hate them now is because instead of focusing on the big stuff that originally justified their existence they've branched out to focusing on all the petty and power trippy crap like I mentioned in my previous post. HOA boards attract a certain kind of person and that tiny mind gets drunk on the power real quick.

It’s not hard to keep the front of your house tidy. I don’t care if it’s a **** pit inside. There’s really not much of a challenge keeping a tiny Arizona front yard that’s mostly gravel and small shrubs in order. And yet, people leave **** all over. They pretend they don’t see the 87 weeds that are a foot tall. They keep so much junk in their garages that they can’t fit their cars in them. They let their Paloverdes stick out into the sidewalk so that people can’t pass by.

How hard is it to have the least amount of pride in your home? How hard is it to take even a little bit of pride in your community?

Unfortunately, my HOA dues are only $80/mo. So the association is toothless. I wish everyone had to pay double. I’d vote for that in a second.

I also wish that all new owners would be made to understand that they will be unable to rent their property at any point in the future. If they wish to leave, they must sell. Not sure if that’s even legal. But I wish it was. It’s not a landlord’s association. It’s a homeowners associate. I wish members of the HOA had to actually reside in their homes
Well to be fair it depends on the situation. My neighbor used to have weeds in front of her yard all the time, she's older though and not really physically capable of weeding herself. I don't know what her financial situation is like, maybe she could afford to pay someone to take care of that or maybe not who knows. Last couple of years around February I pay a guy to come spray pre-emergent allover my yard and hers. Costs me an extra $50 but I help her out and no more weeds so it's a win win.

I'm sure it's frustrating to watch a grown ass healthy man/woman fully capable of taking care of his puny little HOA front yard yet still can't be bothered to. That doesn't make HOA's any less shitty IMO but I can understand the frustration. I don't get the garage thing though, why do you care about that? Is it really that frustrating to see a car sitting in a driveway?! Now stopping people from renting out their home, that's something that could actually make sense and the kind of thing HOA's should be focusing on but sorry, Nancy is far more worried about the Timmond's swing set being over 9ft tall and if you stand at just the right angle you can see it. Not only can you see it but sometimes you can even witness kids enjoying it, ugh!

I could get behind a reasonable HOA that sweated the big stuff like 1ft tall weeds guy, broken down car guy and definitely out of state landlord guy. I could also get behind one that could actually show a good use of your funds. Unfortunately those don't seem to actually exist.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I know where Gilbert is - I've lived in the Valley for over 40 years. :D The thing is, I've lived on the "fringes" of the metro area for as long as I've lived in Arizona. When I first got here, my house at 56th Street and Thunderbird was near the outer limits of the city. All there was north of us was Bell Rd. and giant swaths of desert and scrub brush, and the only sign of civilization eastward was Scottsdale Airport. We used to drive out to the Horny Toad up in Cave Creek and it was like driving to Wickenburg. Now it's packed full of some of the most expensive housing in the entire metro area.

The one constant I've found is that the only thing of real necessity that you miss by moving farther away from Central Phoenix is Sky Harbor. A 45-minute trip in clear traffic to get to the airport is an annoyance. Every single other thing I want or need from Phoenix is available close to where I live. I keep moving farther and farther away from Central Phoenix as the sprawl continues and it's worked out great for me.
I guess that's why I was confused, if you know where Gilbert is then you know it's not close to downtown so why point out that you're just as close to downtown as Gilbert? I suspect a bit of your westside insecurity was leaking. ;)

Yeah like I said, if you don't have much of a commute the housing bang for buck on the outskirts is much more attractive. I don't even think the airport is a big deal unless you often travel for work but in that case I'd include that as part of the commute issue. I think the one thing I'd struggle with living far out is the chilling effect I think it'd have on my activities. In a given year I probably do 20 things that are fairly centrally located (concerts, sporting events, museum, etc.) and if I lived on the outskirts I have this feeling that'd be just enough of a hurdle for me to pull the plug on most of those. That's the main reason I like being centrally located, it allows me to be reasonably close to everything the valley has to offer. E.g. As long as it's in the metro area, I ultimately don't care where the Coyotes end up because no where will be extremely far.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have personally done weed control for the vacant house next to me, the single mother next to me, and the college kids across the street. I’ve been doing this for almost a year. I’m sure they all think it’s just magic. Maybe I’m an enabler.

Cars in the driveway don’t bother me very much. Cars parked up and down the street only bothers me because people also speed. That’s a child safety issue. Visibility is way down because all of the cars. You can’t see kids. Not a huge problem if you’re doing 20-25. Big problem if you’re doing 30-35.

Even then I only actually get annoyed when they’re parked in front of my house. Even then, I really only get annoyed when it’s the night before and the morning of trash collection. I need a place to put my bins so my trash can be picked up.

There is a car parked in front of my house that doesn’t belong to me pretty much always. Usually it’s different cars. Usually it’s the college kids. I ring their doorbell most Monday nights and ask them to move one stupid rice rocket or another. Occasionally they actually answer the door and comply. If not, I’m back across the street ringing the doorbell at six or seven am on Tuesday. They never answer the door then.

The problem is that I think four dudes rent that house. At least three have live-in girlfriends. They usually also have buddies over. It’s basically an apartment complex across the street with no parking.

I really don’t mind the car out front most of the time. Just makes it look like someone is home. But I’ve got two kids. My garbage bin is always overflowing. It’s got to get picked up.

Again, I blame the landlord.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have personally done weed control for the vacant house next to me, the single mother next to me, and the college kids across the street. I’ve been doing this for almost a year. I’m sure they all think it’s just magic. Maybe I’m an enabler.

Cars in the driveway don’t bother me very much. Cars parked up and down the street only bothers me because people also speed. That’s a child safety issue. Visibility is way down because all of the cars. You can’t see kids. Not a huge problem if you’re doing 20-25. Big problem if you’re doing 30-35.

Even then I only actually get annoyed when they’re parked in front of my house. Even then, I really only get annoyed when it’s the night before and the morning of trash collection. I need a place to put my bins so my trash can be picked up.

There is a car parked in front of my house that doesn’t belong to me pretty much always. Usually it’s different cars. Usually it’s the college kids. I ring their doorbell most Monday nights and ask them to move one stupid rice rocket or another. Occasionally they actually answer the door and comply. If not, I’m back across the street ringing the doorbell at six or seven am on Tuesday. They never answer the door then.

The problem is that I think four dudes rent that house. At least three have live-in girlfriends. They usually also have buddies over. It’s basically an apartment complex across the street with no parking.

I really don’t mind the car out front most of the time. Just makes it look like someone is home. But I’ve got two kids. My garbage bin is always overflowing. It’s got to get picked up.

You have codependency problems, maybe???

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

That's all reasonable and I can understand why you're so frustrated, especially regarding the parking situation.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It’s not hard to keep the front of your house tidy. I don’t care if it’s a **** pit inside. There’s really not much of a challenge keeping a tiny Arizona front yard that’s mostly gravel and small shrubs in order. And yet, people leave **** all over. They pretend they don’t see the 87 weeds that are a foot tall. They keep so much junk in their garages that they can’t fit their cars in them. They let their Paloverdes stick out into the sidewalk so that people can’t pass by.

How hard is it to have the least amount of pride in your home? How hard is it to take even a little bit of pride in your community?

Unfortunately, my HOA dues are only $80/mo. So the association is toothless. I wish everyone had to pay double. I’d vote for that in a second.

I also wish that all new owners would be made to understand that they will be unable to rent their property at any point in the future. If they wish to leave, they must sell. Not sure if that’s even legal. But I wish it was. It’s not a landlord’s association. It’s a homeowners associate. I wish members of the HOA had to actually reside in their homes

See to me, $80 is more than enough to keep a neighborhood looking great. But like everything else. HOAs are run by greedy bastards. They either don't do shit with the money and it disappears into their pockets or they charge a shit ton and fine the hell out of the residents for the dumbest things. When I get home I don't want to be bothered. At my last home, the person across the street made a comment about me leaving my trash can out too late (I was freaking working!) so I put some pavers out by the sidewalk and just moved my cans from the street to right into my yard next to the sidewalk from that point on. There were no further comments made. My buddy lives in the worst community I've ever heard of. He is always having issues and had to get a lawyer to back them off. He went and got all their permission slips signed to pour cement next to his drive way all the way into the back yard. The first time he parked on it, he got a fine. He went in and asked why. They said he was given permission to pour it, not park on it. I don't need that kind of stress just to live in a new home. Plus I don't want to go to jail.

Reactions: Mosby

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think the one thing I'd struggle with living far out is the chilling effect I think it'd have on my activities. In a given year I probably do 20 things that are fairly centrally located (concerts, sporting events, museum, etc.) and if I lived on the outskirts I have this feeling that'd be just enough of a hurdle for me to pull the plug on most of those. That's the main reason I like being centrally located, it allows me to be reasonably close to everything the valley has to offer. E.g. As long as it's in the metro area, I ultimately don't care where the Coyotes end up because no where will be extremely far.

I think I would have had second thoughts if I, say, had season tickets to Gammage like I used to. The trip to Gammage is the worst I have no matter where else I go in the Valley. I've taken to going to Arizona Broadway Theater instead because that stretch from about Via de Ventura down into Tempe is pure hell about 90% of the time. But I regularly go out to iFly in Scottsdale and it's not too bad a drive. I haven't really had to worry about a steady social life for years, thanks to having kids and spending nearly all of my time being the Dad Taxi and so forth. But I get that younger people have a different set of priorities.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Just saw the highlight. Wow. Poor effort to say the least.
Of course he did have a 3 point night including the goal in the final minutes to send the game to OT.

Mind you anybody can score on the Jets in the final minutes while they are trying to protect a lead :(

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Of course he did have a 3 point night including the goal in the final minutes to send the game to OT.

Mind you anybody can score on the Jets in the final minutes while they are trying to protect a lead :(
I'm commenting on one play not his career.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm commenting on one play not his career.
While his effort on that goal was not the best, and it was 3 on 3, those situations happen all the time, but I would like to comment on his two goals. His first was all hustle, and his second a great shot. He would be leading the Yotes in goals and points playing half the games, but I know we don't have a Kane or a DeBrincat blah blah blah. His coach, you know, the one that is trying to make his GM look good, had Strome out there with Kane and Saad in OT. What did he expect.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
While his effort on that goal was not the best, and it was 3 on 3, those situations happen all the time, but I would like to comment on his two goals. His first was all hustle, and his second a great shot. He would be leading the Yotes in goals and points playing half the games, but I know we don't have a Kane or a DeBrincat blah blah blah. His coach, you know, the one that is trying to make his GM look good, had Strome out there with Kane and Saad in OT. What did he expect.
He expected to score and not defend. I get the rationale. The play was suspect defense at best.

Strome is a good player who has established himself as a 2C. He will nail it out of the park on his next contract. I just hope Chi can still pay him at this point.

My comment was about shitty positioning and effort on a back check. I’m not calling him a bust. Breathe everyone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He expected to score and not defend. I get the rationale. The play was suspect defense at best.

Strome is a good player who has established himself as a 2C. He will nail it out of the park on his next contract. I just hope Chi can still pay him at this point.

My comment was about ****ty positioning and effort on a back check. I’m not calling him a bust. Breathe everyone.
:nod: My comment was more directed at Cobra than you. After I posted I saw my mistake.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I want rt as a neighbor, but I'm not willing to pay an HOA fee and risk the board getting power-hungry to do it.

I have pretty good neighbors in a non-HOA. Lots of mingling, especially for football and such. Everyone keeps an eye on eachother. We took down the next-door neighbor's xmas lights last year unasked because he left town for his mom's funeral. Our neighbor neigh across the street saw us and came out to help. One of the next-door neighbors and I share the load on the side yard, and occasionally when one or the other of us gets behind, we'll do each other's whole front yard. Not passive aggressively, just "figured I was out here, and yours was looking scraggly".
I think it just depends on your neighbors. I've had some crappy neighbors elsewhere. I understand why the HOA's exist. I just don't want to cede that policing to the sort of people who are attracted to HOA boards. I've heard too many horror stories about people with nothing better to do. My friend took his screens off his windows in the back to wash the windows and screens. Left the screens out to dry and had a notice the next morning that screens are required on all windows. Someone between that afternoon and whatever time the next day had to go on their roof or peak over the fence to see the screens weren't installed. That's ridiculous. I wouldn't be able tp handle that.

Also, watching some of you compulsively bashing a young guy you were calling a bust and predicting he'd be out of the league within a year, who has more points in 55 games with his new team than our leading scorer has all season, because the 22 yr old blew coverage on an individual play after tying the game with one of his 2 goals/3 points that night as some kind of vindication will never, ever get old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad