Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
My question was more based toward a player like Kahun. A player like Kahun is exactly the type of player that we paired Strome with consistently on lines here. DeBrincat being a driving force on that line is helpful - sorry that we don't have a DeBrincat behind a player like Keller. Sorry that we didn't put Keller and Strome together with Galchenyuk at the risk of throwing so many eggs into our top line but leaving our 3rd line as a handicapped line without any threats on there. Strome should be viewed as a player that the other team has to worry about, not one that went invisible, regardless of what line that he played on.
Kahun had one productive game with Strome so far. If Strome starts making guys like Kahun better, I will be impressed. That is what we thought we drafted.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah because we don't need a center to help our best forward have more than 11 goals. We are the Coyotes. We don't need top six scoring centers, just defensive studs that can not score on the 4th line equally as well as the first.

Reactions: _Del_

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I did a quick calculation recently on how unlucky we've been, and, to be frank - it wasn't that bad. All the lotteries we've been in the last 15 years, the chances of missing all of them were something like 30%. So, yeah, it was more likely to have hit one than not, but not some sort of catastrophic powerball-level chance of never winning one.

I once lost 10 coin flips in a row to decide who was to pay for lunches. 0.1%. 1 in 1000. *that* was catastrophic.
My point was if the lottery didn’t exist we would have had a better pick each and every year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
My point was if the lottery didn’t exist we would have had a better pick each and every year.
Possible, but each year picking better makes the next year less likely. Or conversely we could be Edmonton.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Okay then let’s just win the Hughes pick and all agree that we no longer have to bemoan our lottery luck. Perfect solution. Win-win.
This would be the other side of the coin that would balance off our bad luck.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
What I have a problem with the organization is the fact he was in the AHL playing heavy minutes and putting up pts (and 1st year pro putting up over PPG, we've never had that), and then when he makes the big club, he's only getting 12min TOI. From day 1 he should have been up near 17 min TOI and then we could have seen what type of production he would bring. But we never did that and Strome is one of those players that will look slow, soft in the corners, but when there is a scoring chance he typically makes the most of it and puts up pts...he's been doing this everywhere he has been and been successful and it's the same thing he's doing with the Hawks.

He had 'earned' the right to automatically get 17min a night because he had 'proven' to be a high skill, high production guy his entire career and he was the 3rd overall pick...you just don't stick those guys on the 4th line playing 12min a night.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
What I have a problem with the organization is the fact he was in the AHL playing heavy minutes and putting up pts (and 1st year pro putting up over PPG, we've never had that), and then when he makes the big club, he's only getting 12min TOI. From day 1 he should have been up near 17 min TOI and then we could have seen what type of production he would bring. But we never did that and Strome is one of those players that will look slow, soft in the corners, but when there is a scoring chance he typically makes the most of it and puts up pts...he's been doing this everywhere he has been and been successful and it's the same thing he's doing with the Hawks.

He had 'earned' the right to automatically get 17min a night because he had 'proven' to be a high skill, high production guy his entire career and he was the 3rd overall pick...you just don't stick those guys on the 4th line playing 12min a night.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think that is a fair statement, but in some ways, the logic should say that if he was able to produce with what amounts to 3rd/4th line NHLers (aren't most AHL first liners basically the equivalent of a 3rd/4th liner?), then why did it appear that his work was further lessened? Granted that he was getting more PP time in Tucson than in the NHL with us, but in his limited time in AZ this season, 4 of his 6 points came on the PP. 8 of his 31 points have come on the PP in Chicago. Maybe the key to all of this is DeBrincat, to be honest. The chemistry that they had in Erie is showing. Not saying that this would be worth anything, but what if we had traded him to a team that didn't have a player whom he had past chemistry with and is basically one of his best friends off-ice?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not saying that this would be worth anything, but what if we had traded him to a team that didn't have a player whom he had past chemistry with and is basically one of his best friends off-ice?

I think he'd be doing the same thing he's doing now. Maybe not at exactly the same point level because it would depend on his linemates, but MAN is the whole teammate chemistry thing overrated around here.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think he'd be doing the same thing he's doing now. Maybe not at exactly the same point level because it would depend on his linemates, but MAN is the whole teammate chemistry thing overrated around here.

Hard to say if it is overrated or not. I think that the best of the best simply make their linemates better, i.e. Kane, McDavid, Matthews, etc. This is because these players have so much quality that it forces teams to keep an eye on them, and they open up the game for other players, almost making it an uneven situation for the team with that player.

But after that elite tier of players, I do think that there is an unspoken chemistry amongst certain players that gets revealed. It is why the Flames are leading the Pacific - that top line has been very strong, and has played off of each other well. They were always in the 4th or 5th spot in the Pacific, and have now taken that next step through the addition of Lindholm to the lineup. Gaudreau has always been quality, but it is on another level this year. May be a lightning in the bottle type of thing, but I wouldn't underestimate how much chemistry comes into play. Same reason as how a guy named Lee Stempniak just comes in and averages a PPG for the remaining 18 games of the season in 2009-10. Just happened to work well with his linemates. Then, once those linemates moved to different lines or teams the next season, he may not have had the same experience.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
just going to say that Strome now would be #1 in Goals and #1 in Pts if he were still a Coyote. Needless to say, he wouldn't be scoring at this clip if he were playing for the Coyotes. Geesh!!!!!

Frustrating as hell to see him perform so well...I thought for sure, it would still take him until late next year, but nope, it looks like the problem is US again.

"Apparently" HOPE didn't take that long to develop.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Strome with 36 points in the middle of his 36th game with the Hawks. Just unreal. If we don't make the playoffs next year, Chakya is definitely in the hot seat, if he isn't already. Him getting fired would not surprise me. I feel like someone needs to be punished for this. Domi and now Strome.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Reading the early pages of part 1 of this thread is amusing.

I'd bet pretty heavily on the odds that one of either Strome or Perlini (but probably not both) figures it out at some point within a year and is nearly equal to Schmaltz's value by himself.

MAN I WAS SUPER DUPER WRONG.

Strome is worth more.

:snide:

Reactions: Matias Maccete

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
No it's not Strome. First it was Kane bouncing pucks off of him for points. Now he's playing with perennial all stars Kahun and DeBrincat. He just shows up and gets points. The Wendy's GM is a genius. Strome is garbage.

You lost me at perennial all star Kahun :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->