Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by TheLegend, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Kaizen

Kaizen Registered User

Amen to that brother.:nod: :DD

RemoAZ likes this.
  2. cobra427

cobra427 Registered User

Kahun had one productive game with Strome so far. If Strome starts making guys like Kahun better, I will be impressed. That is what we thought we drafted.

3. RemoAZ

RemoAZ Registered User

Yeah because we don't need a center to help our best forward have more than 11 goals. We are the Coyotes. We don't need top six scoring centers, just defensive studs that can not score on the 4th line equally as well as the first.

_Del_ likes this.
  4. hbk

hbk Registered User Sponsor

Home Page:
    My point was if the lottery didn’t exist we would have had a better pick each and every year.

5. Dirty Old Man

Dirty Old Man NHL: AZ Belongs Sponsor

Oh, I know - mine was going off on a separate tangent, which I was reminded of by yours. Apologies for any confusion.

6. Jamieh

Jamieh Registered User

Possible, but each year picking better makes the next year less likely. Or conversely we could be Edmonton.

7. hbk

Home Page:
    In some cases the 1-3 slots we moved down was the difference between 1st line talent vs 2n line talent.

Jakey53 likes this.
  8. rt

rt Registered User Sponsor

Okay then let’s just win the Hughes pick and all agree that we no longer have to bemoan our lottery luck. Perfect solution. Win-win.

Jakey53, hbk and cobra427 like this.
  9. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Uncle G

You say that like it's a singular issue, I don't believe that to be the case.

10. hbk

Home Page:
    Oh we have plenty of issues but no team has been more adversely affected by the lottery than AZ.

11. hbk

Home Page:
    This would be the other side of the coin that would balance off our bad luck.

12. Dr VinnyBoombatz

Dr VinnyBoombatz formerly ctwin22

What I have a problem with the organization is the fact he was in the AHL playing heavy minutes and putting up pts (and 1st year pro putting up over PPG, we've never had that), and then when he makes the big club, he's only getting 12min TOI. From day 1 he should have been up near 17 min TOI and then we could have seen what type of production he would bring. But we never did that and Strome is one of those players that will look slow, soft in the corners, but when there is a scoring chance he typically makes the most of it and puts up pts...he's been doing this everywhere he has been and been successful and it's the same thing he's doing with the Hawks.

He had 'earned' the right to automatically get 17min a night because he had 'proven' to be a high skill, high production guy his entire career and he was the 3rd overall pick...you just don't stick those guys on the 4th line playing 12min a night.

13. Dr VinnyBoombatz

What I have a problem with the organization is the fact he was in the AHL playing heavy minutes and putting up pts (and 1st year pro putting up over PPG, we've never had that), and then when he makes the big club, he's only getting 12min TOI. From day 1 he should have been up near 17 min TOI and then we could have seen what type of production he would bring. But we never did that and Strome is one of those players that will look slow, soft in the corners, but when there is a scoring chance he typically makes the most of it and puts up pts...he's been doing this everywhere he has been and been successful and it's the same thing he's doing with the Hawks.

He had 'earned' the right to automatically get 17min a night because he had 'proven' to be a high skill, high production guy his entire career and he was the 3rd overall pick...you just don't stick those guys on the 4th line playing 12min a night.

14. Dr VinnyBoombatz

what is going on, click once and I get 5 identical posts...that is great.

Edit - now it's only 2 haha...too funny!

15. The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck Registered Loser

...we draft Hughes, he turns into the second coming of Alex Daigle, and Kaapo Kakko ends up being the next Selanne.

You know that's what would happen, deep in your bones.

16. ParisSaintGermain

ParisSaintGermain Registered User

Or we pick Kakko and force him to play center after he said he prefers to play on the wing. We then decrease his minutes and move him to the 4rth line... still as a center.

Ultra Mega Chychrun and Jakey53 like this.
  17. BUX7PHX

BUX7PHX Registered User

I think that is a fair statement, but in some ways, the logic should say that if he was able to produce with what amounts to 3rd/4th line NHLers (aren't most AHL first liners basically the equivalent of a 3rd/4th liner?), then why did it appear that his work was further lessened? Granted that he was getting more PP time in Tucson than in the NHL with us, but in his limited time in AZ this season, 4 of his 6 points came on the PP. 8 of his 31 points have come on the PP in Chicago. Maybe the key to all of this is DeBrincat, to be honest. The chemistry that they had in Erie is showing. Not saying that this would be worth anything, but what if we had traded him to a team that didn't have a player whom he had past chemistry with and is basically one of his best friends off-ice?

18. The Feckless Puck

The Feckless Puck Registered Loser

I think he'd be doing the same thing he's doing now. Maybe not at exactly the same point level because it would depend on his linemates, but MAN is the whole teammate chemistry thing overrated around here.

Ultra Mega Chychrun likes this.
  19. BUX7PHX

BUX7PHX Registered User

Hard to say if it is overrated or not. I think that the best of the best simply make their linemates better, i.e. Kane, McDavid, Matthews, etc. This is because these players have so much quality that it forces teams to keep an eye on them, and they open up the game for other players, almost making it an uneven situation for the team with that player.

But after that elite tier of players, I do think that there is an unspoken chemistry amongst certain players that gets revealed. It is why the Flames are leading the Pacific - that top line has been very strong, and has played off of each other well. They were always in the 4th or 5th spot in the Pacific, and have now taken that next step through the addition of Lindholm to the lineup. Gaudreau has always been quality, but it is on another level this year. May be a lightning in the bottle type of thing, but I wouldn't underestimate how much chemistry comes into play. Same reason as how a guy named Lee Stempniak just comes in and averages a PPG for the remaining 18 games of the season in 2009-10. Just happened to work well with his linemates. Then, once those linemates moved to different lines or teams the next season, he may not have had the same experience.

20. Dr VinnyBoombatz

just going to say that Strome now would be #1 in Goals and #1 in Pts if he were still a Coyote. Needless to say, he wouldn't be scoring at this clip if he were playing for the Coyotes. Geesh!!!!!

Frustrating as hell to see him perform so well...I thought for sure, it would still take him until late next year, but nope, it looks like the problem is US again.

"Apparently" HOPE didn't take that long to develop.

21. OriginalJetsCoyotes

OriginalJetsCoyotes Registered User

Strome with 36 points in the middle of his 36th game with the Hawks. Just unreal. If we don't make the playoffs next year, Chakya is definitely in the hot seat, if he isn't already. Him getting fired would not surprise me. I feel like someone needs to be punished for this. Domi and now Strome.

_Del_ and Ultra Mega Chychrun like this.
  22. RABBIT

RABBIT "I sure as sh*t want to win" - Alex Meruelo Sponsor

Makes me sick, but happy for him. I also really like Schmaltz but seriously wtf is wrong with us

23. SniperHF

SniperHF You might surprise yourself

IT Drone
    Reading the early pages of part 1 of this thread is amusing.

MAN I WAS SUPER DUPER WRONG.

Strome is worth more.

:snide:

24. Muppet

Muppet 7th Round Pick Sponsor

Strome is going on a massive tear and the only thing Schmaltz is tearing is his ACL.

25. CoopersFalls

CoopersFalls NHL Managerial Guru

You lost me at perennial all star Kahun :huh: