Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think it's way, way too early to judge either of the big trades, especially to do so when Strome is on a hot streak and when Schmaltz is injured. Gotta let these things play out. Look at Subban/Weber. Everyone said Nashville won that trade but look at the play of those two players this year.

As far as Domi, we also can't forget that he simply didn't want to play in Arizona anymore. He and Tie wanted the spotlight of a big market. Not much we can do about that. Frankly I'm happy to move away from Max's "all about me" shtick. Galchenyuk is a much better fit.
I agree, great post.

All of this has been amplified this year by injuries too. Gally got started with the team late, requiring extra time to get a feel for the players and the system but he has been doing well for a few months now. Sure Domi has done better but I think we have a better locker room guy in Gally. Wasn't a fan when we got him, wasn't mad about the trade though either as I'm one of the few that's not high on Domi. At this point, I take Gally over Domi.

As for Strome/Schmaltz, there may be more of a blunder here but again, not mad about the trade because I don't know that Strome would have ever broken out here. Schmaltz before the injury was playing some great hockey. From an optics perspective, I do think we lose this trade but I feel like we are actually going to benefit here where as had we kept Strome, he never would have realized his potential and we would be down a major asset.

Chychrun has been great when healthy, and when he is on the ice, his contract looks fine. Injuries have been the issue. Dvorak's contact should be fine, his injury was very unfortunate but getting him locked up the way we did seemed like a no brainer. Once he's back, I think a lot of us will be happy with his contract.

Lastly comes the Stepan/Raanta deal. We gave up a 7oa for Stepan and Raanta. If Raanta wasn't such a glass cannon we would have had a clear win but his injuries have created a lot of issues. His contract isn't even bad for a guy with his numbers. Lets hope next season we can get 50+ games out of him.

Hayton will be the breaker here I think, if he never sees 2c+ upside in a relatively short amount of time, then we can be pissed at JC. I like him, he was a small reach in my eyes but I know that's not the consensus.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To those who didn't want to trade Strome, my question is when would have been an acceptable time for Chayka to cut bait? For instance, if Strome stayed here and finished the year with 25 points and was then moved in the offseason, would that have been more acceptable? Give him a longer look even if it means bringing back a lesser return?

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
To those who didn't want to trade Strome, my question is when would have been an acceptable time for Chayka to cut bait? For instance, if Strome stayed here and finished the year with 25 points and was then moved in the offseason, would that have been more acceptable? Give him a longer look even if it means bringing back a lesser return?

If I were Chayka i would have forced the hand of the coaching staff to properly develop our young center or I would have found a new coach. But Chayka trusts Tocchet too much in my opinion, so this may cause issues.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's fair. He never really did get off the fourth line, though he never really earned that chance either.

I think my frustration with Strome started this year when he came to camp very underwhelming. He had a very underwhelming summer compared to guys like Fischer and Chychrun (who did it on one leg). Some point you gotta take the bull by the horns I think, and maybe the trade to Chi was a wake up call for that.

Key to remember here though is he was traded for a 22-year-old, not some 35-year-old has been. This could be a very interesting arms race of Strome vs. Schmaltz.

I don't consider Perlini a factor anymore. Most disturbing about him was his response where he said he didn't really care if he won a Cup over his career. We need winners. Perlini is an airhead. I suspect he'll get a one-year show me deal below his qualifier from Chi as a last chance at the NHL for him.

Reactions: RABBIT

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If I were Chayka i would have forced the hand of the coaching staff to properly develop our young center or I would have found a new coach. But Chayka trusts Tocchet too much in my opinion, so this may cause issues.
Chayka might have zero control over the coaching hire or to fire Tocc. Barroway was enamored with Tocc. Any GM shouldn't micro manage his coach anyway, thats a bad idea.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I'll add that whatever mistakes Chayka has made -- the McGinn signing and the Murphy extension come to mind -- he was also quick to fix.

Is this in reference to Connor Murphy?

He's been largely excellent in Chicago.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah. Was never a fan of the Murphy contract, especially the term. I like Hammer better too. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Is this in reference to Connor Murphy?

He's been largely excellent in Chicago.
Yes, 6 years at 3.8 mill for a third pairing was too much. He might be second pairing now, but he was a disaster in Chicago until recently. Hammer is way better.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Hammer is obviously a wonderful defender.

Calling Murphy a "disaster" is really not based in reality though. He's at worst a second pairing guy and is arguably the best D man in Chicago over the last 1.5 seasons.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, if they, meaning RT and Chayka had any brains, or concerns about Strome, they should have put him in a place to succeed the first of training and early in the season to confirm their thoughts, good or bad. Maybe, if they did this and Strome was on pace for a 55 pt. season and they still did not like him as a player, they could have traded him for more than a winger. Works both ways. RT didn't have any intention to put Strome in a position to succeed, and Chayka took the bait.

Reactions: Heldig

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Murphy arguably the best D man in Chicago over the last 1.5 seasons.

I don't mean to sound like a pr!ck but that hasn't exactly been a high bar right? I don't know what's gotten into Keith in the last little bit and the rest of the blueline certainly leaves a lot to be desired. In terms of pay vs. performance, Seabrook might be the worst D in the league.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Calling Murphy a "disaster" is really not based in reality though. He's at worst a second pairing guy and is arguably the best D man in Chicago over the last 1.5 seasons.
He's a third pairing. The only reason you think otherwise is because you have two grandpa's taking up ice time on the back end.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't mean to sound like a pr!ck but that hasn't exactly been a high bar right? I don't know what's gotten into Keith in the last little bit and the rest of the blueline certainly leaves a lot to be desired. In terms of pay vs. performance, Seabrook might be the worst D in the league.
Absolutely a fair point, but regardless of the quality of other defensemen on Chicago, Murphy to me is a legit 2nd pairing guy who could also hold up really well as a 1st pairing guy. He's not going to rack up points but that's not his role. To me, he is the type of guy who can be a top 4 guy on a contender, which is all he is being paid to be.

And believe me, everyone in Chicago wishes the Oilers had held onto Chia a little longer in the hopes that we could send him Seabrook :)

Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Well, if they, meaning RT and Chayka had any brains, or concerns about Strome, they should have put him in a place to succeed the first of training and early in the season to confirm their thoughts, good or bad. Maybe, if they did this and Strome was on pace for a 55 pt. season and they still did not like him as a player, they could have traded him for more than a winger. Works both ways. RT didn't have any intention to put Strome in a position to succeed, and Chayka took the bait.

By that logic, we should have taken Josh Archibald and put him on the top line for 3 games as "putting him in a place to succeed." Then follow suit with Crouse for 3 games, then Hinostroza, etc., etc.

Do you not see how flawed that logic is, b/c then every player would have to be given a certain amount of time on the top line to determine whether or not they merit an opportunity to succeed? So, there has to be another way to determine who is putting the proper time and effort in and juggle around some lineup combos to figure out who is putting themselves in a best case scenario.

If only we had about 4 weeks of time before the season to bring the team together, and put some line combos together, while evaluating who is doing the proper things. If the players are not cutting it at the NHL level, maybe we should take some of those players and send them back to respective clubs where they can hone their skills, so we can concentrate our efforts on the 20-25 players who are likely to contribute positively. But even then, there may be a clear understanding of who is putting the proper effort in across all phases and who isn't. Maybe the way to get out of being in one of the bottom lines is to start putting some things together to show the coaches that you are capable of playing at a higher level in these group drills amongst teammates. Usually, when you show proof of doing so in these practice-type settings, it will also manifest itself in games. Then, during the season, we continually have evaluations of said situations in these practice-type settings. Gee, I wish we had that type of thing available to us... :sarcasm:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Schmaltz plays a style of game that better suits the way this management group wants to play the game. We gave up quite a bit in assets but Perlini at this point might be a UFA sooner than later. I will eat a bit of crow on Strome who in recent games is being more of a catalyst than I was giving him credit for. I think the frustration comes from a lack of opportunity on PP1 / Keller of Galchenyuk. We may not have a Kane to play with (and let’s face it part of the emergence of Strome stems from offensive confidence) but it would have been nice to at least give him 10 games with someone who is actually capable of scoring. I have a long rant about our scouting department and decision to take Strome in the first place that I’m sure everyone has read here already. I’m higher on Schmaltz than most but I love that style of play myself and I’m a sucker for great skating (see my posts years ago about Tanabe who was just fantastic to watch before he blew out his knee and was out of the league shortly thereafter).

I think Galchenyuk and Domi will be a wash as time goes on. Domi’s slowed considerably since his hot start to the season and Galchenyuk has played better as season has progressed/healed from injury. I think their points in calendar year 2019 are essentially a wash already. Loved Domis aggressive in your face style when he was motivated. That hand injury really cost him a season and a half.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

He's not your best, keith is still better, Murphy is maybe a 4D, but really third pairing. If you are relying on Murphy as your best D, don't expect your second worst GAA of 3.61 to get any better:)

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He's not your best, keith is still better, Murphy is maybe a 4D, but really third pairing. If you are relying on Murphy as your best D, don't expect your second worst GAA of 3.61 to get any better:)
Eh my point is I've watched quite a few championship teams over the last decade, so I am pretty sure I can pick out the types of guys who can play significant minutes on a playoff team.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Bu x said:
By that logic, we should have taken Josh Archibald and put him on the top line for 3 games as "putting him in a place to succeed." Then follow suit with Crouse for 3 games, then Hinostroza, etc., etc.

If Josh Archibald, Crouse, and Hinostroza had a track record as topline forwards who consistently lead their teams/leagues on scoring, we'd be pretty stupid to bury them on the fourth line and asking them to be sticky grinders as well...

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004

That's the first year Strome made it to the NHL roster for good. For me, you had to give him a full year, to see the ups and downs, and take it from there- A full season as a body of work, it is the least an organisation that has historically struggled to develop top end centers shoud have done.

To cut him out within 6 weeks seemed rash. Underwhelming starts of seasons are almost of a yearly occurrence for 80% of coyotes rosters The year Stepan, OEL and co start a season strong, we will have a proper season.

To have so little patience for a center prospect despite of your own premium principle is almost a betrayal of your own philosophy. The action and subsequent comments from Chayka were full of frustration, seemed a rare lack of control at a time when the team had been struggling big time.

I like Schmaltz, but I am anxious about the contract. Chayka might be in a hole there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->