• Tyler Steenbergen

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
People don't seem into it this year, maybe it's cause our prospect pool kinda blows.

Make sure to suggest names to add for the next poll
Here's a handy list: Arizona Coyotes at eliteprospects.com

2018 Prospect Rankings

1 - Dylan Strome (47 votes - 83.9%)
2 - Barrett Hayton (29 votes - 61.7%)
3 - Pierre-Olivier Joseph (36 votes - 90%)
4 - Nick Merkley ( 28 votes - 63.6%)
5 - Kyle Capobianco (17 votes - 45.5%)
6 - Cam Dineen (14 votes - 32.6%)
7 - Adin Hill ( 16 votes - 39.0%)
8 - Kevin Bahl ( 11 votes - 34.0%)

Reactions: Yandover

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He was (understandably) not even on the top 15 last year ;)
So somewhat of a big jump even if not cracking the top 8.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
At this point, I don't even know much about most of the list so I probably won't vote.

I'm sort of familiar with Dauphin, Bunting, Murphy, Miska, and Madsen. Thoughts: I'm thinking Dauphin, Bunting, and Murphy probably won't get too much action in the NHL, but are still solid additions to the system (which is also important).

I'm only passingly familiar with Westerlund, Jenik, Pederson and Steenbergen.

If anyone would like to fill me in on Busby, Prosvetov, and Hoefenmeyer, I'm all ears.

I used to keep up more with prospects over the years, but haven't really been keeping up much the last few years (for time's sake).

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I voted Dauphin. He and Bunting and Murphy are later in their development tracks, but they all played really well last year. If he's healthy, I hope the Dolphin gets a long look sometime this year. Problem is, we're actually kind of deep at center this year, if you squint your eyes hard enough.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I voted Dauphin. He and Bunting and Murphy are later in their development tracks, but they all played really well last year. If he's healthy, I hope the Dolphin gets a long look sometime this year. Problem is, we're actually kind of deep at center this year, if you squint your eyes hard enough.

It's a ranking of prospects. Dauphin, like with Murphy, is older than most guys in the system. If you put Dauphin above someone like Jenik you are essentially saying "Jenik won't be better than Dauphin is now, even with 4 or 5 years of development." I wouldn't make that argument.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Voted Steenbergen but really took a while on Prosvetov and Jenik before deciding.

It's a ranking of prospects. Dauphin, like with Murphy, is older than most guys in the system. If you put Dauphin above someone like Jenik you are essentially saying "Jenik won't be better than Dauphin is now, even with 4 or 5 years of development." I wouldn't make that argument.

I think this is a really important distinction.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No I think I'm saying that Dauphin if healthy is good enough to force his way on this team this season whereas Jenik in a few years might. We are talking about who's ranked 9th on a list that has a variability of +/- 3-5 slots. Let's not get offended at the notion that a player who is 23 and still well thought of by the organization may have a future with the team. His game was really rounding into form just before his injury. this is his make or break year so I'm okay if he sits in our top 10. That way I'm able to say "yeah I saw it coming" when he does get the call up and performs well.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No I think I'm saying that Dauphin if healthy is good enough to force his way on this team this season whereas Jenik in a few years might. We are talking about who's ranked 9th on a list that has a variability of +/- 3-5 slots. Let's not get offended at the notion that a player who is 23 and still well thought of by the organization may have a future with the team. His game was really rounding into form just before his injury. this is his make or break year so I'm okay if he sits in our top 10. That way I'm able to say "yeah I saw it coming" when he does get the call up and performs well.

You are talking about a depth chart.

You can't credit Dauphin for time Jenik hasn't had and then pretend like you're being objective or actually ranking prospects. Dauphin, like Murphy and Bunting, has utility to the parent team but those players are not strong prospects because they are tweeners at an advanced age. I rate both Jenik and Steenbergen as having a high chance of being better than a tweener given the time Dauphin has had, so I rank them ahead of Dauphin. In other words, their trajectories are currently better than Dauphin's. It's not a guarantee or a slam on players like Dauphin either. He could still be something but the odds are against him. 4 points in 34 NHL games and a failure to establish himself as a regular at 23 (as a forward) is not stronger than the guys leading the poll. I know you read FutureWatch and this is exactly how they rank guys. You wouldn't ever put Dauphin above Hayton, so why is the same exact logic - just with a smaller gap between the players - a giant leap?

Dauphin is entering his D+6. That's a lot of time for Jenik and Steenbergen to catch up.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You are talking about a depth chart.

You can't credit Dauphin for time Jenik hasn't had and then pretend like you're being objective or actually ranking prospects. Dauphin, like Murphy and Bunting, has utility to the parent team but those players are not strong prospects because they are tweeners at an advanced age. I rate both Jenik and Steenbergen as having a high chance of being better than a tweener given the time Dauphin has had, so I rank them ahead of Dauphin. In other words, their trajectories are currently better than Dauphin's. It's not a guarantee or a slam on players like Dauphin either. He could still be something but the odds are against him. 4 points in 34 NHL games and a failure to establish himself as a regular at 23 (as a forward) is not stronger than the guys leading the poll. I know you read FutureWatch and this is exactly how they rank guys. You wouldn't ever put Dauphin above Hayton, so why is the same exact logic - just with a smaller gap between the players - a giant leap?

Dauphin is entering his D+6. That's a lot of time for Jenik and Steenbergen to catch up.
Isn’t the age cutoff on what we define as a prospect on HF Boards at 23? I think Dauphin can and will play in the NHL this season. I ranked him accordingly based on that belief.

Your complaining about my ranking of the 9th best prospect on the team. In the grand scheme of things who the F cares. It’s 9th. I could give two shits on who actually wins this poll. You like Jenik. Great. I don’t care. I’m not arguing with you on where he should rank. Whether it’s 9 or 13th it’s basically irrelevant.

I believe at 23 Dauphin is still considered a prospect. I believe the team has plans that include him. I don’t believe that’s controversial.

If you don’t like a name on the list complain to the guy who made the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Princ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I believe at 23 Dauphin is still considered a prospect. I believe the team has plans that include him. I don’t believe that’s controversial.

Do you believe Dauphin is better now than Jenik will be in five years?
Do you believe Dauphin is better now than Steenbergen will be in three years?

These are yes/no questions.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do you believe Dauphin is better now than Jenik will be in five years?
Do you believe Dauphin is better now than Steenbergen will be in three years?

These are yes/no questions.
Was Jenik super high on your draft list? I’m in a show me state with him. I’m not ready to annoint him a top 6 sure-fire NHL player. As a result, I don’t have him in my Top 10. I am more than willing to reconsider next year. I didn’t watch a lot of Czech hockey last year to have a good feel. Feel free to enlighten me on his skill set based on your viewings though.

I like Steenbergen a great deal as a prospect. Seen him a few times live. He showed me enough that he makes it on my top 10 list; although I don’t know if he’s going to be able to crack the NHL as a scorer. I like him more than some of the guys who have already won polls. I’m not crying about it though.

In the end, i just happen to like Dauphin. He’s close to graduating from prospect status. I get your point. He’s on the list though and I voted for him. I have zero regrets. I think he’s an NHL player.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I’m not ready to annoint him a top 6 sure-fire NHL player. As a result, I don’t have him in my Top 10.

Sure-fire top 6 NHL player is your standard for our 9th and 10th best prospects? We have one of those and our prospect pool is better than most.

Jenik has potential to be a top 6 NHLer. So does Steenbergen. Dauphin definitely does not. Definitely not. I like him a lot though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sure-fire top 6 NHL player is your standard for our 9th and 10th best prospects? We have one of those and our prospect pool is better than most.

Jenik has potential to be a top 6 NHLer. So does Steenbergen. Dauphin definitely does not. Definitely not. I like him a lot though.
I'm not sure Jenik can play in the NHL unless he's in a top 6 role.

Dauphin has some lineup flexibility given his work ethic and skill set.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Unless I'm really hungry, I'll choose a lottery ticket over a free donut.

Also, Chayka has talked about Jenik's competitive nature standing out. He could turn out to be a donut too if he's not a winning ticket.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Unless I'm really hungry, I'll choose a lottery ticket over a free donut.

Also, Chayka has talked about Jenik's competitive nature standing out. He could turn out to be a donut too if he's not a winning ticket.
I hope he turns out. I'll be happy to move him up the rankings as we get a clearer indication on his ability. I also think Dauphin is going to surprise a few people.

Last edited:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I like Steenbergen. But what are expectations from him this year though, considering Merkley, Looke, Fasching, and Garland are the righties ahead of him on the depth chart? How much prime ice time will he get? What are chances of a NHL cup of coffee in 18/19? He's probably going to see limited use while he gets his feet wet as a pro, right?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I like Steenbergen. But what are expectations from him this year though, considering Merkley, Looke, Fasching, and Garland are the righties ahead of him on the depth chart? How much prime ice time will he get? What are chances of a NHL cup of coffee in 18/19? He's probably going to see limited use while he gets his feet wet as a pro, right?
I don't think 15-20 goals in the A is out of the question. He's going to have to earn the ice time. He doesn't see the main roster this year. Likely not next year either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad