Prospect Info: Coyotes Top Prospects 2017 - #10

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This will be the last vote for the list, I might do a multi-choice vote for the next 5 though.

Make sure to suggest names to add for the next poll

2016 Prospect Rankings
#1 - Clayton Keller (46 votes - 60.53%)
#2 - Dylan Strome (default)
#3 - Christian Fischer (52 votes - 92.86%
#4 - Kyle Wood (33 votes - 47.14%)
#5 - Pierre-Olivier Joseph ( 36 votes - 78.26%)
#6 - Nick Merkley (21 votes - 51.2%)
#7 - Brandon Hickey (12 votes - 27.9%)
#8 - Kyle Capobianco (13 votes - 31.7%)
#9 - Mackenzie Entwistle (11 votes - 26.8%)

For the record I'm using HF's criteria for the poll
*I made an executive decision to exclude Perlini, he was short a few games.

ctwin22's list of Coyotes prospects

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Voted Looke. I think he's going to surprise some folks this year in Tucson.

Dineen is next for me, but I was much higher on him this time last year. He needs to have a very strong season at both ends of the ice.

Bunting is probably after that. Upside is probably a 3rd/4th line tweener, but he's a glue guy.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Pho how do you rate Karlsson? We don't see anything much of him but he is pure energy and I believe he plays in a men's league. I was pretty excited when we picked him but do you think he will ever make the NHL or does he even want to? He seems happy playing at home. Just curious what your take is there.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Pho how do you rate Karlsson? We don't see anything much of him but he is pure energy and I believe he plays in a men's league. I was pretty excited when we picked him but do you think he will ever make the NHL or does he even want to? He seems happy playing at home. Just curious what your take is there.

I like him as a player but feel doubtful he'll be coming over any time soon. He's better off in Sweden.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This Looke thing could be good news. Fleet of foot with good hockey IQ. Could be a bottom six PKer potentially. Maybe a less talented Boedker with more of an eye for denesive fundamentals. A poor man's Niklas Sundstrom if I can go way back. Maybe a very poor man's. Silfverberg minus the hands?

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm surprised to see Dineen leading MacInnis. Both ended up having tough years but MacInnis is the higher pick. Though I guess I did have Dineen rates more highly in his draft year than I had MacInnis rated in his. It's a tough call, I just assumed most would stick with draft position as the final deciding factor.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This Looke thing could be good news. Fleet of foot with good hockey IQ. Could be a bottom six PKer potentially. Maybe a less talented Boedker with more of an eye for denesive fundamentals. A poor man's Niklas Sundstrom if I can go way back. Maybe a very poor man's. Silfverberg minus the hands?

Looke has pretty decent hands, but Silfverberg plays with a little more power in his game. Looke is kind of a perimeter player. Boedker is a good comp. Hemsky, too, or Tanguay. He's got a decent shot, but his passing skills are much better, and he knows it. Middle 6 upside with potential to contribute on either or both special teams units.

Yea I kind of figured that. We could use his energy though.

This is basically why I don't like drafting energy players (though I thought Karlsson's upside was a little higher when he was drafted, and even in hindsight he's worth the gamble with a 3rd rounder). Same deal as goalies. It's not worth the resources. Why spend a pick on a guy who might be an effective bottom six guy 5 years from now when you can just wait until you have that need and either sign a guy to fill that role or, at worst, trade the pick for someone you know can fill the role?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm surprised to see Dineen leading MacInnis. Both ended up having tough years but MacInnis is the higher pick. Though I guess I did have Dineen rates more highly in his draft year than I had MacInnis rated in his. It's a tough call, I just assumed most would stick with draft position as the final deciding factor.

I've never been particularly high on MacInnis. He was picked where he was picked based on his name and his size, not on his draft year production (which was pretty lackluster). It wasn't until his D+2 season that he put up really good numbers, but as a 6'3" 20-year-old in the CHL, he needed to.

He was always supposed to be a project, but he's developing awfully slowly.

Dineen on the other hand put up a phenomenal draft season. He regressed last season for sure, but his injury seemed to be at least a part of the reason.

Both still have plenty of time to turn things around, but I think Dineen's upside (#4 with powerplay ability) is a little higher than MacInnis (4th liner with PK ability).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Will MacInnis be ready before he runs out of waiver ineligibility? That's always been the big question.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I wouldn't count MacInnis out. You can't teach size and he has skill and hockey IQ. I thought he was one of the more impressive prospects in camp last year. About this time last year people were pretty down on Perlini too even with the obvious size, speed and skill. These guys are very young and a year of training and development can be a huge difference maker for them.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
The thing is with MacInnis is like Pho said, how slow he is developing. When he got bumped up a league, he seemed like he was starting all over in his development. If he gets the AHL figured out this year, will he hit rock bottom again when he is brought up to the NHL? I guess that is development but wow you would think some of what he has would carry over but it didn't. Plus I was hoping he would show some leadership but that didn't happen either so all in all, it is concerning in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad