Prospect Info: Coyotes Top Prospects 2016 - #5

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
My brain says DeAngelo but my heart says Fischer. I went with my heart. DeAngelo is obviously the better talent, but Tampa ain't stupid. Something is wrong here.
Seeing them trade him for a pick and then pick another defenseman gives me pause, but there couldn't be more dissimilar players than DeAngelo and Hajek, the guy TBL drafted with our pick. Hajek is quiet and plays an understated, defense-first game. Doesn't play the puck much. Doesn't score nearly as much. Could easily be a case of TBL just not liking the type of player DeAngleo is developing into.

In full disclosure, I had to stop following DeAngelo on Twitter because of his political views.
I refuse to follow a 20 year old on twitter just on principle, but his tweets look entertaining to me. Shout-outs to his friends. Orlando shooting. Pro-Trump stuff. Lots of Philly sports stuff. He re-tweeted Michael Bunting's rather underwhelming "hey" after the trade, which is awkward/awesome. He re-tweeted a fake Shooter McGavin account, the villain from the movie Happy Gilmore. It's nothing more than a snapshot into his personality, but it's nice to see he has one. Many hockey players don't.
I don't think so. We are just stacked with prospects.
I think we're down on Perlini. How could you not be? I know I am. Dylan Larkin and Robby Fabbri were both on the board and we got Perlini. Doesn't mean Perlini is chopped liver, it means there seems to have been a missed opportunity there. Clayton Keller and Jakub Chychrun haven't had the opportunity to disappoint us yet.
Okay, one is more professional than the other, but should give you something to think about outside of hockey statistics :)
I <3 Chris Fischer. Any kid who can name-drop Camelback on draft day is a 10A in my book.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought Perlini was given way too much hype based on his first rookie camp; especially given the reason I and many others were down on his draft position was due to his inconsistency.

Perlini has the bLake Wheeler skill set. He clicks all the boxes you look for. I unfortunately wasted so many vacation days a decade ago to watch Wheeler flounder in University. I often tell the story about sitting beside a Flames scout who was drooling and vocal about Toews being number one on his draft list. During that same conversation we chatted about Wheeler and I mentioned how I was struggling to see anything more than a 3rd liner. He commented to me that I was being generous.

I've watched Perlini since his draft. I've come to really appreciate his skill set. He's talented. That being said I've never seen a prospect that is a square peg in a round hole. He's a finisher yet they have him carry the puck and create scoring chances. Then they tried playing him with Ho Sang who doesn't pass. At a certain point you just sit and shake your head. It's pathetic.

I get the frustration at the stats and I can't disagree that he's fallen in the eyes of most fans.

For me though. I love his skill set and I'm confident he will play in NHL. I still think he can be the next Blake Wheeler.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that Perlini is going to be the absolute surprise of camp. Given the opportunity to play his game at the NHL level, he will succeed.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
...Tippett and Playfair (and more likely Lamb, at first) can teach him to be even a mediocre defenseman and the rest of society can teach him to be a decent human being (and in a league where Patrick Kane wins the MVP, it's a very low bar to clear). He has Karlsson-esque potential, legitimately. If he doesn't turn into a top four contributor, though, he'll have no one to blame but himself.

You know Pho, I've heard a lot of people mention now that he has large off-ice character issues. I haven't been following much about our prospects over the last few months, like I usually do, but what exactly did DeAngelo do to warrant these character criticisms?

Last edited:

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
You know Pho, I've heard a lot of people mention now that he has large off-ice character issues. I haven't been following much about our prospects over the last few months, like I usually do, but what exactly did DeAngelo do to warrant these character criticisms?

He's used racial slurs against, refs, opponents, and teammates before. Also been healthy scratched multiple games in the AHL, despite being a top scorer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's used racial slurs against, refs, opponents, and teammates before. Also been healthy scratched multiple games in the AHL, despite being a top scorer.

I think it was a homophobic slur, wasn't it? Either way, he's got anger issues and a dirty, loud mouth. He was also a healthy scratch a bunch of times in Syracuse despite putting up eye popping numbers for a rookie blue liner. Leads to speculation about other issues such as coachability.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I've been high on Perlini since before he was drafted. He was one of the guys I wanted, and nothing has changed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad