Coyotes to lose 30M?

Brad*

First off, no one's even said anything about moving them to Canada in this thread and already you're insulting an entire nation.
He didn't "insult an entire nation." Get real. No reason to be offended unless you're the type of poster he's referring to. You're obviously new. Those posters do exist, on this very board, and they're out like vultures every time there's a potentially negative story about a US team. It's rather sickening, to be honest.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Forbes shows that the Coyotes lost $6 million last season. I highly doubt that the 30 million number we see here is even remotely accurate.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Phoenix has a ton of corporate support. Jerry Moyes, owner of Swift Transportation, owns the team and subsequently their plane they fly on. No, concessions are actually a little high but not too bad. We actually have the best lease in the NHL and get all hockey related revenue from the arena. There is NO way they stand to lose 30 million. Gambodoro is a moron and consistently gets everything he reports wrong. He is the AZ Republic version of Eklund or Garrioch. A monkey could whisper in his ear that Gretzky will play and he would report it as the holy gospel truth.

Plus, Wayne has come out and said they will be players in the free agent market, even after this 30 million loss claim. Quite frankly I'm getting tired of sore Winnipegers and Canadian elitists who think that hockey doesn't belong here or anywhere in the lower 48.

Gambodoro is a Canadian who lives in Winnipeg ?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
He didn't "insult an entire nation." Get real. No reason to be offended unless you're the type of poster he's referring to. You're obviously new. Those posters do exist, on this very board, and they're out like vultures every time there's a potentially negative story about a US team. It's rather sickening, to be honest.

A reporter from arizona writes a story, and the canadian vultures are to blame ? LOL. I guess that's one excuse for the apologists to use.

Brad*

A reporter from arizona writes a story, and the canadian vultures are to blame ? LOL. I guess that's one excuse for the apologists to use.
LOL, you can't read, can you? This is pathetic. Your post doesn't even make sense in relation to what I said, unless of course you didn't read it, or you're simply too dense to understand it.

Firstly, it's not about "blame." The Coyotes may or may not have lost $30 million. That wasn't the point of my post. The point is that whenever there is an article that is even remotely negative toward an American market, there are certain posters, such as yourself, who swarm like vultures. Your completely biased point of view offers little in regards to substance or even relevance. It's simply another chance for you to take (weak) shots at American markets.

Secondly, what would I be an "apologist" for? The Phoenix Coyotes? That's a laugh. I don't give two ***** about the Phoenix Coyotes. Rather, I'm tired of posters like yourself, who are more interested in bashing a franchise and rambling incoherent, biased, worthless opinions than actually creating a point of discussion. Or contributing to one.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
To paraphrase US Senator Everett Dirksen:

A million here, a million there and pretty soon you are talking about real money:biglaugh:
Not to quible (OK, to quible a little bit) - the Dirksen quote is Billions, not Millions - "A billion here and a billion there, and soon you're talking about real money".

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Not to quible (OK, to quible a little bit) - the Dirksen quote is Billions, not Millions - "A billion here and a billion there, and soon you're talking about real money".

Yeah, that would be why he's paraphasing (2. the act or process of restating or rewording.):shakehead

As for the report while I highly doubt it's 30 million, is this loss before or after revenue sharing? I know the Sabres plan their assumption on the fact they will get some revenue sharing so I'd love to know if this total (which I suspect is no more then 15 million and likely closer to 5-7) is pre or post revenue sharing figures.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
It makes me sick to my stomach when I think about the Apologists hating Canada and the great American NHL markets for selling out their arenas.

Why can't fans of the good markets and the fans of the bad markets just be friends ?

:dunno:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Why can't fans of the good markets and the fans of the bad markets just be friends?
... because Calgary sucks?

Rightfully so that some Canadians are upset / frustrated / bewildered / confused that 20 Canadians living in North Carolina make television promos about "bringing the Cup home to Greensboro" or wherever it is exactly the 'Canes play. For Winnipeg to lose their beloved Jets to a city that (apparently) doesn't even support them ...

If the Dallas Cowboys told me they couldn't make enough money to compete in Texas, moved to Riga, Latvia and then went bankrupt, I'd be furious. If the Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears went with them, I'd lose faith in the sport.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
There are 40,000 children dying each day due to malnutrition, and here you are complaining about a petty thing such as little typing error.
If you're worried about world hunger, why are you doing a petty thing like starting a thread to bash on a market that you (presumably, since you haven't added anything to this conversation) know nothing about?

It makes me sick to my stomach when I think about the Apologists hating Canada and the great American NHL markets for selling out their arenas.

Why can't fans of the good markets and the fans of the bad markets just be friends ?

Oh please, you've gotta be kidding. :biglaugh: With all the hating you do on American markets, you have a lot of cojones to post this. You're one of the ones who starts a lot of the arguments, my friend, don't be asking now "can't we all just get along?"

Too bad our favorite board ref seems to be on vacation, because this one needs to have the fork stuck in it.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Holy smokes - even with the salary taken off to account for the trades, it's still a loss of $25+ million.

On the ice, Gretzky's had six years to build a contender already, and obviously isn't the answer. A bad team in a market that doesn't seem to be NHL calibre, unless there are other teams losing $25 million or worse.

All I said was it was going to be less. Did I say it was going to be drastic? No.

Nor did I ever say Gretzky was the answer. I just said it sucked to be him because it's his job to build a good team from practically scratch.

And although there probably aren't many teams, if any, losing that much, a lot of teams lose money. It's no big deal. Especially when it's a crappy team. If it was a good team and losing money, then there's obviously a problem. Like Buffalo who will be lucky to make a profit this year even if they go deep into the playoffs.

Stone87

Mar 20, 2005
Rochester
First of all they were among the leagues worst in terms of revenue last season so it doesn't seem likely they could have pulled in much less money (about 63 million). They bumped up payroll about 7 million dollars for this season. I've got to say these numbers don't seem to really add up. The most the Coyotes has lost of late was in 2003 ($21 million dollars). That was with a payroll of $45 million 2 more then they're spending now. If they lose 20 million this year I won't be suprised but 30 seems like an exaggeration.:dunno:

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
First off, no one's even said anything about moving them to Canada in this thread and already you're insulting an entire nation.

If that's not flame war bait, I don't know what is.

Secondly, I don't see how the Coyotes could be losing that much money. Not with revenue sharing.
Given that you are three posts old at the time I posted, I would like to direct you to the two "Last Night's Attendance" theads, the "Return to Winnipeg" or the "Did Bettman try to save the Jets" threads, the expansion threads, the relocation threads, the "Daley is concerned about Nashville" thread... You can search beyond page 2 on your own time for more threads that degenerate into "non-tradtitional markets don't deserve X".

Also, an entire nation wasn't insulted, just the "elitist" hockey fans who populate these boards - problem is, they don't take the time to read what's already been posted, so they probably won't be insulted.

Transported Upstater

Give me a break.

You're not fooling anyone.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Oh please, you've gotta be kidding. :biglaugh: With all the hating you do on American markets, you have a lot of cojones to post this. You're one of the ones who starts a lot of the arguments, my friend, don't be asking now "can't we all just get along?"

Too bad our favorite board ref seems to be on vacation, because this one needs to have the fork stuck in it.

Give me a break.

You're not fooling anyone.

Boy, you guys really dislike me. I'd like to stay and repair our relationships but I have to get back to work for now.

"On my way to save the daaaaayyy !"

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Boy, you guys really dislike me. I'd like to stay and repair our relationships but I have to get back to work for now.

Coming from you, all of this "let's be friends" nonsense is apocryphal. Certainly you understand why.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I'm not sure of the fourth period's media credentials, but a story today claims the Lightning will be cutting payroll to the $ 37 million range next season. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tbl070304.html

There was a story not too long ago claiming the Lightning could lose in the range of $ 9 million this season.

with 20,000 in attendance and conceivably losing almost $ 10 million, I think it's conceivable that the Coyotes could lose $ 25 million with attendance below 15,000. I guess without knowing the actual paid attendance it's impossible to know for sure, but presuming these reports are true, anything's possible.

Wetcoaster

You did note the word "paraphrase" in the OP as opposed saying I was quoting the source???

Oh and BTW not to "quible" (note the use of quote marks) - the word is "quibble".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->