Phoenix CXXXVII - and the band plays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Coyotes president, CEO Cohen offers latest update on potential sale, arena

To quote:

"“There’s been so much stuff out there, rumors and unsubstantiated stories — the reality is our owner Andy Barroway is the sole owner, the 100 percent owner and he doesn’t want to be the sole owner any longer,” [Arizona Coyotes president & CEO Ahron] Cohen told 98.7 FM’s Doug & Wolf Wednesday. “Now, what form that takes, whether it’s a full sale, whether it’s a partnership, whether it’s an LP stake — I think that’s all to be determined.”

Cohen did not have anything else to note on the news, clarifying there is no set date on the transition occurring.

As far as a new home in the form of a new arena, there is significant progress left to be done.

“I don’t think it’s very productive to talk about those things until you really know what the answer is,” Cohen said when asked of a potential new arena.

“Look, we’re trying to figure out a long-term sustainable solution here in Arizona. One element of that is what the arena situation looks like but there’s a lot of other elements. We could put this arena in the perfect location in town (but) if you don’t have some of these other things working for your franchise you’re not going to be successful."

Source: arizonasports.com/story/1839977/arizona-coyotes-ahron-cohen-moving-team-sale/

Reactions: Fairview

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Always good to see an update on the progress being made on any new investors or ownership group and how the new arena plans are progressing.

Something may eventually have to give here but the more the calendar years change the more the situation looks status quo.

Looking for investors, looking for a home.

3 criteria for an NHL member franchise, owner, home, market.

Reactions: Mork

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Translation...I made a big mistake and I want out.

Yeah, it's about time for new investors, a handing over of the keys. The show's been in reruns too long, they haven't introduced any new characters or storylines to stir up interest & intrigue.

I think they're immortal.

They didn't strike me as Highlanders (with sharpened hockey sticks like scythes rather than swords or katanas). :laugh: They strike me more as the undead variety, although not zombies. Maybe they were bitten by Count Chocula or something? With the rate things have been going, the Coyotes will still be in Arizona when the 1st Mars colony is established and when Betelgeuse goes supernova.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I'm not taking the time to listen....so instead I am simply going to say this:

If Llama has the quotations right, it seems as if it is a slight admission that nothing is happening in either ownership or arena.

The big question is: If that is right (and obviously cold be wrong), does that mean anything in the big picture?

I don't know.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

If Llama has the quotations right, it seems as if it is a slight admission that nothing is happening in either ownership or arena.

The big question is: If that is right (and obviously cold be wrong), does that mean anything in the big picture?

I don't know.

Well, we know that at some point, if there aren't new partners or a new arena the team will have to move.

We just don't know what that point is. I would have thought it was a long time ago, so clearly I have no idea.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Doesn't sound like anything is new. Cohen admits Barroway is looking for at minimum new investors but it's not the first time he has said something along these lines. Barroway has been looking for almost 2 years.

Not too much of an update so if the thread is allowed to stay open, I recommended a new sub title

Phoenix CXXXVII: Indefinitely Imminent

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
As expected, Cohen has moved the goal posts yet again, or maybe he just removed the goal line altogether. Let’s see, we went from a likely Dec 2018 announcement, to..all the way to the end of the season, all the time we were told that the transaction was complicated but it was going to happen and that it would take a long time to complete. What Cohen is saying now, is that there isn’t any transaction happening and furthermore there doesn’t seem to be any real idea of what type of transaction might eventually take place or who, if anyone might be involved. This confirms that all that was said in the late fall was just a big pile of....

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

I don't know.

Cohen admitted Barroway wants to sell shares in the team and not be sole owner anymore. Reading into that, he obviously doesn't like footing the bill for the team's expenses any more. It's not clear if he wants to cash out completely and is looking for an exit strategy or if he likes being owner, he just wants to be a 51% owner, not a 100% one.

Big picture is this image has fuzzy borders. The Coyotes are about as clear as Lourve art being displayed in thick fog.

As expected, Cohen has moved the goal posts yet again, or maybe he just removed the goal line altogether. Let’s see, we went from a likely Dec 2018 announcement, to..all the way to the end of the season, all the time we were told that the transaction was complicated but it was going to happen and that it would take a long time to complete. What Cohen is saying now, is that there isn’t any transaction happening and furthermore there doesn’t seem to be any real idea of what type of transaction might eventually take place or who, if anyone might be involved. This confirms that all that was said in the late fall was just a big pile of....
This news seems more confirmation of absence, that nothing is slated to happen when there were expectations something would happen, per the Coyotes own announcements and statements previously. Makes it seem like either the prospective partners were either imaginary, or there were some interested parties, but it never advanced much past the initial phase to get serious enough to start hammering out actual plans for the sale.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Cohen admitted Barroway wants to sell shares in the team and not be sole owner anymore. Reading into that, he obviously doesn't like footing the bill for the team's expenses any more. It's not clear if he wants to cash out completely and is looking for an exit strategy or if he likes being owner, he just wants to be a 51% owner, not a 100% one.

Big picture is this image has fuzzy borders. The Coyotes are about as clear as Lourve art being displayed in thick fog.

This news seems more confirmation of absence, that nothing is slated to happen when there were expectations something would happen, per the Coyotes own announcements and statements previously. Makes it seem like either the prospective partners were either imaginary, or there were some interested parties, but it never advanced much past the initial phase to get serious enough to start hammering out actual plans for the sale.
Would barroway be allowed to talk to Tilman Fertitta about buying shares of the team. Tilman Fertitta was supposedly talking to bettmen at the end of last year

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
So, there is really nothing newsworthy here. Barroway is looking for investors......well, we've known this for 2 years. There is nothing to report arena wise either.....seems like status quo to me

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
What a game changer this story is!

“I think the one thing that’s absolute is anything that we’re looking to do — it’s predicated on us bringing in somebody that’s going to help us be successful here in Arizona for the long term.”

But of course, this part will be ignored by the usual suspects here, and the baseless conjecture will continue..

Wow, I wonder why the OP didn't include it?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bettman has fought for Phoenix has hard as Teddy Roosevelt fought on San Juan Hill. BUT when he said Glendale was not a viable option 2 years ago the clock began ticking.

How much time is left? Only Bettman knows.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad