Coyotes Sign Yandle

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Alberta Yote said:
Yandle Signs

I think it's safe to say in a 2005 re-draft he would go higher than the 4th round.

How high do you think, first round?

Granted, he would go higher, but let's not forget it is only after one season. As good as his past season was, he could just as easily fall back down next year. I wouldn't go as far as 1st round just yet, after another strong season, then I would.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
right now im thinking he'd go somewhere near late first.
couple of interesting points in the article

-Best D-man in the Q - debatable?
-reminds of jeremy Roenick? interesting comparison for a D-man

Murph1844

Apr 21, 2006
Can he play another year in the Q, or does he have to play in the AHL next year?

insider

Nov 14, 2003
HOCKEY_GURU said:
right now im thinking he'd go somewhere near late first.
couple of interesting points in the article

-Best D-man in the Q - debatable?

not debatable. Only one that comes close IMO is M-A Gragnani

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Murph1844 said:
Can he play another year in the Q, or does he have to play in the AHL next year?

He can't go to the AHL till he is 20 years old which is Sept. 9th. So next season he'll most likely be there. Im not sure if hes allowed to return to junior after signing a pro contract after hes over 20.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
insider said:
not debatable. Only one that comes close IMO is M-A Gragnani

Vlasic is better than both of them....

It is debateable.

Yandle is offensive but he is lost on his own end. That makes saying he is "the best dman in the Q" a debateable statement.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
He can't go to the AHL till he is 20 years old which is Sept. 9th. So next season he'll most likely be there. Im not sure if hes allowed to return to junior after signing a pro contract after hes over 20.

That statement is wrong.

He was drafted out od US High School, therefore he can play in the AHL whenever he wants.

He can go back to Moncton as a 20 year old even though he is signed but I doubt that happens.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
LaLaLaprise said:

It is debateable.

Yandle is offensive but he is lost on his own end. That makes saying he is "the best dman in the Q" a debateable statement.

All I can say about Vlasic is I've seen him 4 times this season, and he wasn't in the top-3 defensemen on his team for all the games.

Gragnani... well he's just SO much better than his teammates, he gets underrated.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
insider said:
All I can say about Vlasic is I've seen him 4 times this season, and he wasn't in the top-3 defensemen on his team for all the games.

Gragnani... well he's just SO much better than his teammates, he gets underrated.

You watched him for 4 games...that isnt enough to judge.

I like Gragnani a lot as well but you have to remember that these guys play differently on the road than they do at home.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
LaLaLaprise said:

It is debateable.

Let's not forget he is the holder of the best dman in the Q award and was also the first defenseman in a decade to win the defensive Telus award over a goaltender. Not much of a debate is it?

Granted, he would go higher, but let's not forget it is only after one season. As good as his past season was, he could just as easily fall back down next year. I wouldn't go as far as 1st round just yet, after another strong season, then I would.

Arguably he only dropped to the 4th in the first place because he opted out of his draft year. Scouts really hate taking players like that in the first few rounds. During his draft year, he was considered a rising guy in the second round IIRC. With that in mind late first round isnt a stretch.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Gwyddbwyll said:
Let's not forget he is the holder of the best dman in the Q award and was also the first defenseman in a decade to win the defensive Telus award over a goaltender. Not much of a debate is it?

Arguably he only dropped to the 4th in the first place because he opted out of his draft year. Scouts really hate taking players like that in the first few rounds. During his draft year, he was considered a rising guy in the second round IIRC. With that in mind late first round isnt a stretch.

Sorry, i dont use Awards to decide whos the best dman in the league.

Im a big Yabndle fan dont get me wrong but to say he is HANDS down, undebatably the best dman in the Q is a falicy.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Yandle would be a 1st round pick easily this year if it was his draft year . Maybe even top 15 considering Martin Vagner got drafted in the 1st round a couple years ago . Euro's in the CHL trend to be a bit overlooked in my opinion .

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
LaLaLaprise said:
Sorry, i dont use Awards to decide whos the best dman in the league.

Im a big Yabndle fan dont get me wrong but to say he is HANDS down, undebatably the best dman in the Q is a falicy.

My point was that the awards he has won show the consensus opinion is that he IS the best dman and that it was a pretty impressive he won the Telus as well which normally goes to a goaltender. Not that you personally should change your opinion, which is of course debateable to a degree.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
LaLaLaprise said:
That statement is wrong.

He was drafted out od US High School, therefore he can play in the AHL whenever he wants.

He can go back to Moncton as a 20 year old even though he is signed but I doubt that happens.

So If You Don't Play Junior - CHL, NCAA ... you can go straight to the AHL ? Does This Include International Leagues?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
So If You Don't Play Junior - CHL, NCAA ... you can go straight to the AHL ? Does This Include International Leagues?

It all hinges on which league you were drafted from.

If a european born player comes to the CHL and is drafted out of the CHL than he must abide by the CHL rules, which state that you cant play in the AHL until you have completed 4 years in the CHL, or your team has been eliminated from the playoffs, or you are a 20 year old. Being a 20 year old in the 2005/2006 season means you were born in 1985.

Yandle was drafted out of Cushing Academy, US High School/Prep so he is eligible to play in the AHL at any age after his team drafted him, similar to what Chris Bourque did this season.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
phil macrackin said:
Is everyone forgetting Bourdon? Yandle might not even be the best defenceman on his team.
Very good chance he won't be the best NHL d-man to come from this year's Moncton team that is true. But he was without a doubt the best junior d-man on the team this year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Alberta Yote said:
Very good chance he won't be the best NHL d-man to come from this year's Moncton team that is true. But he was without a doubt the best junior d-man on the team this year.

So you think Yandle's game translates better to the pro's?

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
LaLaLaprise said:
So you think Yandle's game translates better to the pro's?
No I think Bourdon's overall game translates better to the pros but that Yandle was better in junior this year. Yandle needs to be taught to keep it simple in his own end and outlet pass or dump the puck out instead of carrying it in almost every instance. He gets away with it more in junior but won't in the NHL. He is obviously encouraged to carry the puck at every opportunity in Moncton. It doesn't mean he can't learn to do the things he needs to at the next level, he has the skills and talent.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Alberta Yote said:
No I think Bourdon's overall game translates better to the pros but that Yandle was better in junior this year. Yandle needs to be taught to keep it simple in his own end and outlet pass or dump the puck out instead of carrying it in almost every instance. He gets away with it more in junior but won't in the NHL. He is obviously encouraged to carry the puck at every opportunity in Moncton. It doesn't mean he can't learn to do the things he needs to at the next level, he has the skills and talent.
Oh ok. I thought you said you see Yandle as being a better pro. I wil agree hat Bourdon had an up and down year. He was great before xmas, but the World Junior's coupled with his leg injury completly messed up his 2nd half.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
LaLaLaprise said:
It all hinges on which league you were drafted from.

If a european born player comes to the CHL and is drafted out of the CHL than he must abide by the CHL rules, which state that you cant play in the AHL until you have completed 4 years in the CHL, or your team has been eliminated from the playoffs, or you are a 20 year old. Being a 20 year old in the 2005/2006 season means you were born in 1985.

Yandle was drafted out of Cushing Academy, US High School/Prep so he is eligible to play in the AHL at any age after his team drafted him, similar to what Chris Bourque did this season.
Man, you have to start a draft rules thread.
So if Yandle had gone the NCAA route he would not have to be signed untill his senior year, right? Did this change because he picked CHL?
Also any player not drafted out of the CHL can be signed to an AHL contract at 18 or 19 years but a player drafted out of the CHL cannot sign an AHL contract untill he's 20? Is the ECHL bound by these rules? So if Sidney hadn't made the Pens, he would have had to been sent back to Rimouski?
I won't go on about Yandle. I've already said on other threads that he's the best I've seen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad