Confirmed with Link: Coyotes extend Travis Boyd (2 yr., $1.75M AAV)

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Our farm is full of fully ripe kids that can't make the big club. We had one that was over ripe, was pretty good, and we let him loose. Go figure. In the meantime let the fans of your NHL team suffer another three or four years. I bet when all is said and done, our AHL will have more talent than the Yote's.
Jakey… who exactly are you talking about in this post? Cuz I know you aren’t talking about Hayton, Soderstrom or Jenik…

Reactions: moosemeister

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Looking him up a bit he played on the caps 4th line with Jaskin a couple years ago. Maybe they had some chemistry and that played into this signing. Seems like a good enough energy guy. Just because a guy has a more recognizable name doesn’t necessarily mean he’s better. 4th liners are a dime a dozen as long as he doesn’t cough up the puck and consistently looks like he gives a shit he’ll do fine.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's a Right Handed Center but his career FO is 41%

He's described as 4th line energy guy but his Off Zone Start is 68% and he averages 0.38 hits per game.

For reference, that 0.38 hits per game is the mid-point between Anthony Duclair and Dylan Strome. Johan Larsson hits 4x as much per game. Lawson Crouse hits almost 8x as much per game.

That 68% Off Zone start is compared to Larsson at 38% and Crouse at 45%

^ these are all meaningless stats without context. But I'm really having a hard time understanding what type of player this is and what a player like this would be good for?

Reactions: MIGs Dog

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He's a Right Handed Center but his career FO is 41%

He's described as 4th line energy guy but his Off Zone Start is 68% and he averages 0.38 hits per game.

For reference, that 0.38 hits per game is the mid-point between Anthony Duclair and Dylan Strome. Johan Larsson hits 4x as much per game. Lawson Crouse hits almost 8x as much per game.

That 68% Off Zone start is compared to Larsson at 38% and Crouse at 45%

^ these are all meaningless stats without context. But I'm really having a hard time understanding what type of player this is and what a player like this would be good for?

More fuel for the fire. Let it burn!

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It’s very important that Hayton does not become the next Mikkel Boedker or Dylan Strome. We are going to have to do a bit of a reset on him but it’s not like he’s not salvageable. Let’s finally do this right.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hayton is not ripe. He barely played last year and needs to get back on track.
Think the Boyd move is all about giving Hayton (and maybe Jenik) a full year in Tucson.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
It’s very important that Hayton does not become the next Mikkel Boedker or Dylan Strome. We are going to have to do a bit of a reset on him but it’s not like he’s not salvageable. Let’s finally do this right.
At least he’s a bright kid…there’s still hope for him with the right crew guiding him along.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton is not ripe. He barely played last year and needs to get back on track.

Stop coddling Hayton. He was the 5 OA, and should have been playing in the NHL a couple of years ago. Maybe GMBA was right when he said he had Hayton rated in the twenties. I wonder if Hayton can make the big club if we trade DVO and are left with a bunch of over the hill dumpster diving players?

Reactions: 87turbobuick

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who are these kids on the farm who are all “fully ripe”? We had no one on Tucson last year who even projects as an NHL player outside Jenik, Hayton, and Prosvetov. The two leading scorers weren’t even Coyotes contracted players. Bunting was the only one of note. Capo is garbage and will be gone after this coming year. Jenik and Hayton barely got their feet wet. Prosvetov obviously needs more time. None of those guys are “ripe”. Everyone else is AHL quality and where they belong.
Well, we had Bunting, then there is Burke, Pederson, Fasching, Chaput etc. You are right, most probably AHL quality, but so are the players we have signed as FA.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think it’s coddling to force him to earn a spot after clearly not being ready before.
How much longer are you going to coddle him? One year? Two years? Of course he has to earn a spot, but for god sake look at this team, and look at our C depth. IF BA thinks he has to dumpster dive to fill out our C depth because he doesn't think Hayton is ready I really don't know what to tell you.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah. I agree wholeheartedly. Which is why I'd have loved somebody other than this guy to be the grocery stick between Hayton and the NHL. Really, how hard is it going to be to take this dude's job?

I can't remember ever seeing this guy play a hockey game, but on paper, he's the least interesting hockey player I can imagine.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would like to see Hayton spend the entire year in Tucson (he just turned 21!). It's not a banishment though. If he's point per game and has improved on the areas where needed, call him up sooner.

rt

May 13, 2004
Stop coddling Hayton. He was the 5 OA, and should have been playing in the NHL a couple of years ago. Maybe GMBA was right when he said he had Hayton rated in the twenties. I wonder if Hayton can make the big club if we trade DVO and are left with a bunch of over the hill dumpster diving players?
#1 BA never said he had Hayton in the 20s.
#2 Hayton's problem isn't that he was brought along too slow, it's that he was brought along too fast. That really couldn't be more obvious.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Boyd's best chance at an NHL job is that he is making NHL money. He is too expensive to send down. I suspect he will be the 13th forward most nights. And I'd rather he rot away in the press box than somebody who actually matters. He will play more after the deadline when we ship out guys and need warm bodies to get through the last few games.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
#1 BA never said he had Hayton in the 20s.
#2 Hayton's problem isn't that he was brought along too slow, it's that he was brought along too fast. That really couldn't be more obvious.
It's all RT's fault.

rt

May 13, 2004
Boyd's best chance at an NHL job is that he is making NHL money. He is too expensive to send down. I suspect he will be the 13th forward most nights. And I'd rather he rot away in the press box than somebody who actually matters. He will play more after the deadline when we ship out guys and need warm bodies to get through the last few games.
Why would you want small guy who seems to do nothing at all well as your 13th forward? Why wouldn’t you rather someone who can actually do a noteworthy thing? Even if it’s Imama or O’Brien?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad